Devils Playground from the Crags

Devils Playground from the Crags is a 8.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Divide, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, horses, and mountain biking and is best used from March until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

A good hike up the side of Pikes Peak to some interesting Rock formations. From the parking lot you will see the sign for the Crags trailhead. Begin hiking down this trail. After a tenth of a mile you will see a sign on the right labeling trail 664A take this trail across a log bridge and begin your ascent. This trail will take you into a basin at the base of the peak, then it will aggressively gain elevation up to Devil's Playground. Parts of this trail are loose rock, but a group called Friends of the Peak are working on making this trail much more sustainable. As you ascend this steep section you will begin to get views of the Sawatch Range, Tenmile Range, Mosquito Range, and even the Sangre de Cristo Range. Take your time though as this hike is steep at times and reaches 13,000 feet of elevation.

Perfect day for a perfect hike. I’m a 40+ year old from the “flatlands” of Nebraska and I am in OK shape, so most people should be able to complete this trail. The AllTrails app is excellent! I would suggest good shoes with aggressive tread to prevent slipping on the rocks/gravel. A hydration pack comes in handy - I went 3 16.9 oz bottles of water in the way up and 2 more purchase at Pike Peak on the way down. Once to Devil’s Playground, I went ahead and took the free shuttle to Pike’s Peak (instead of walking beside the road) - since I had already experienced the most scenic views (my opinion) - except from the top. I was amazed to look back down at the trail/valley and see the elevation gain over the rock formations that seemed so gigantic at the start of the trail! I will definitely be completing this hike again.

I would say a little more difficult than moderate although we added on the 5.5 mile hike to the summit of pikes peak which was the most difficult part.
The top of this stretch was quite steep but had breathtaking views throughout and at the top. Go slow and steady and you’ll make it up pretty quickly.

Definitely much harder than moderate

Strenuous, chilly at the top, great hike!

Great hike, very steep incline towards the last stretch. The views headed up the mountain are amazing. There are a few areas with loose rock so hiking poles were handy but not required. You can add on Pikes Peak to this hike where you will cross the toll road at Devils Playground at the top.
Expect some winds & cooler temps at the top. I experienced brief rain late afternoon. Temp was closer to high 40’s with strong winds & mid 70’s & sunny at the start & lower elevations.

The trail leads above the treeline, depending on the time of the year, it may be cooler than at lower elevation. The trail is continuously on an incline and can get steep in some places above the treeline.. If there is snow or snowmelt on to the trail the steep decent can get slippery in places..

We had a great time on this hike. Difficulty was just right with our 6yo, nice climbs up, but not too difficult.

We didn't finish either Devil's or Craig but it was beautiful what we did see.

One of my fav in the area. Gradual, consistent incline until you get above the trees. Then, steeper and harder until you reach the crest of the ridge near the top. Great views! Can be very windy at/or near Devil’s Playground. Took me approx. 4.5 hrs RT - I took my time and enjoyed the scenery.

Beautiful views, excellent trail

Might like this trail to the summit more than Barr Trail!

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Tough sustained climb that gets steeper at the tree line. The beautiful views are worth the effort!

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Good amount of uphill with a lot of exposure. Good amount of water on the trail.

Thursday, January 26, 2017

Did this hike the day prior to "The Crags" this route to the devils playground will get your attention.

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

awesome trail! Layers layers layers! temperature varies very drastically you will sweat and you will freeze this late in the season! Very little snow as of yesterday. Give yourself a large amount of time probably plan on sunrise to close to sunset depending on expirence!

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Great trail, the last portion before hitting the peak before the road is by far the most demotivating part. I would highly suggest bringing something to protect your face from the wind.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

We got an early start and the views when you get to the top makes it completely worth it. We're still new to hiking and loving it. The biggest obstacle to us was the elevation change in the oxygen levels so if you're still new to the sport, just allow for plenty of breaks with water & snacks. the trail is clear and easy to follow with plenty of others on the trail. Great hike!

Sunday, August 14, 2016

amazing views! difficult trail, but highly recommended.

Thursday, August 11, 2016

The boulder field at the top was an unexpected obstacle, and the way down was slick and took time. It was a great trail though, with gorgeous views.

Tuesday, August 02, 2016

Once you break off from the Craig's trail it's a pretty steady climb. Just before tree line it get steep and it's a long climb. It's great up top, spectacular views. Saw some big horn sheep. Trail down, steep part was slow going. Good trail just need to be in good shape, hard trail

Saturday, July 30, 2016

steep route that yields really interesting sandstone rock formations at the top as well as amazing views of the surrounding area.

Sunday, July 10, 2016

This is a beautiful trail. You start in alpine and up above the tree line. Along the way, you can view distant mountain chains to the northwest, west and southwest. Hiking through in late June, you'll still be crossing patches of snow at the top of the ridge. And if you're up for it, you can continue on from Devil's Playground to the top of Pikes Peak where you can secretly feel superior to all the folks up there who drove or took the train.
With that full trip to the top of the peak and back, you're looking at 12+ miles of hiking with serious elevation changes, so bring snacks and carry extra clothing for the cooler temperatures on your way up to 14,000 feet. Also, be ready to make your way to the top of the peak through a boulder field that'll be a pretty serious challenge to many.

Saturday, July 09, 2016

This is a great trail to hike for those who like more of a challenge over the nearby Crags. It's steep in many places and loose gravel on the rocks, so you need to watch your step. The weather was perfect and the views were terrific. We had driven up Pikes Peak a week earlier, so found it interesting that this trail ends in the gravel parking lot for Devil's Playground.

Monday, July 04, 2016

Hiked this trail on a not so nice day. Cloudy and once up to the tree line, very misty and rainy. Could barely see several feet in front of you. New to Colorado from Florida and Hubby had a hard time with the elevation. I went ahead while he rested and passed the "snow field" and did get to Devils Playground but so foggy couldn't enjoy the views . Will do it again by myself while Hubby picks me up at Pikes Road. On a sunny day!! Great workout !!!! Difficult d/t incline and elevation.

Friday, June 24, 2016

Love the difficult of this trek! Some exposure so start early. Lovely end to the trail to see below the summit of Pikes Peak. Just fabulous terrain and rocky, steep parts that get you breathing in that dear Colorado pine!

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

FYI, The Colorado Springs Gazette is reporting today (5/24/16) that this trail closed last week. I was considering hiking part of it in August when we visit, but it may not be back open by then. I have not hiked this trail, but was required to give it a star rating. It looks like a 5 to me! I am new to this site; maybe there is a news section that would be better to post this information.

"Pikes Peak Ranger District forest ranger Oscar Martinez said Tuesday (5/23/16) that spruce trees in the Crags area are at risk of falling. Forest Road 383 was closed late last week, and will remain closed for the next several weeks,'cutting off access to the Crags campgrounds and its trails, as well as the popular Devils Playground', Martinez said ... A 2011 infestation of beetles has killed many trees around rock formations facing the northwest side of Pikes Peak in Teller County. "

Friday, October 30, 2015

I really enjoyed this hike. I did this trail in Mid-October and there was snow from the start of the trailhead. That definitely made it more difficult than it would be in the summer. I was really glad I had some trekking poles or I would have ended up on my behind a couple of times... The trail gets very steep above the tree line but is still not too difficult. Have lots of water and you will have a great trip and see some amazing views!!

Monday, October 12, 2015

Unusually nice day for almost mid October. No snow, decent wind above tree line. The trail was easy to moderate, until above tree line then it was most definitely moderate hiking. Total time to get up, have a snack and get back was 3 1/2 hours.

Thursday, August 27, 2015

Not my favorite hike in this area. It is a great workout going up from the Crags Trailhead, but I found the steepness of the grade, combined with uncertain footing on the loose rocks, to be especially taxing on these old knees. Very glad that I had hiking poles on the way down, and was still picking my way quite deliberately to keep from slipping and sliding.
Some spectacular views and great photo ops, and the formations once you top out in the Devil's Playground area really are dramatic, but I'll probably not be doing it again.

Sunday, July 26, 2015

After being turned away at Mueller State Park, for strict no dog rules, we were instructed to come here! Very happy we did! Great gradual incline up to the boulder area with great views!
***Important: watch the skies, as the weather changes quickly here! We got caught in large thunder storm around noon on July 26th.

Saturday, July 25, 2015

We added this hike after completing the Crags trail. The trail is much steeper, but easy to manage. Only made it as far as the tree line before turning back. There were a number of people out on the trail as well, but not that bad. I want to make the summit next time!