Devils Playground from the Crags

Devils Playground from the Crags is a 8.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Divide, Colorado and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, horses, and mountain biking and is best used from March until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

A good hike up the side of Pikes Peak to some interesting Rock formations. From the parking lot you will see the sign for the Crags trailhead. Begin hiking down this trail. After a tenth of a mile you will see a sign on the right labeling trail 664A take this trail across a log bridge and begin your ascent. This trail will take you into a basin at the base of the peak, then it will aggressively gain elevation up to Devil's Playground. Parts of this trail are loose rock, but a group called Friends of the Peak are working on making this trail much more sustainable. As you ascend this steep section you will begin to get views of the Sawatch Range, Tenmile Range, Mosquito Range, and even the Sangre de Cristo Range. Take your time though as this hike is steep at times and reaches 13,000 feet of elevation.

The trail leads above the treeline, depending on the time of the year, it may be cooler than at lower elevation. The trail is continuously on an incline and can get steep in some places above the treeline.. If there is snow or snowmelt on to the trail the steep decent can get slippery in places..

We had a great time on this hike. Difficulty was just right with our 6yo, nice climbs up, but not too difficult.

We didn't finish either Devil's or Craig but it was beautiful what we did see.

One of my fav in the area. Gradual, consistent incline until you get above the trees. Then, steeper and harder until you reach the crest of the ridge near the top. Great views! Can be very windy at/or near Devil’s Playground. Took me approx. 4.5 hrs RT - I took my time and enjoyed the scenery.

Beautiful views, excellent trail

Might like this trail to the summit more than Barr Trail!

Tough sustained climb that gets steeper at the tree line. The beautiful views are worth the effort!

Good amount of uphill with a lot of exposure. Good amount of water on the trail.

Thursday, January 26, 2017

Did this hike the day prior to "The Crags" this route to the devils playground will get your attention.

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

awesome trail! Layers layers layers! temperature varies very drastically you will sweat and you will freeze this late in the season! Very little snow as of yesterday. Give yourself a large amount of time probably plan on sunrise to close to sunset depending on expirence!

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Great trail, the last portion before hitting the peak before the road is by far the most demotivating part. I would highly suggest bringing something to protect your face from the wind.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

We got an early start and the views when you get to the top makes it completely worth it. We're still new to hiking and loving it. The biggest obstacle to us was the elevation change in the oxygen levels so if you're still new to the sport, just allow for plenty of breaks with water & snacks. the trail is clear and easy to follow with plenty of others on the trail. Great hike!

Sunday, August 14, 2016

amazing views! difficult trail, but highly recommended.

Thursday, August 11, 2016

The boulder field at the top was an unexpected obstacle, and the way down was slick and took time. It was a great trail though, with gorgeous views.

Tuesday, August 02, 2016

Once you break off from the Craig's trail it's a pretty steady climb. Just before tree line it get steep and it's a long climb. It's great up top, spectacular views. Saw some big horn sheep. Trail down, steep part was slow going. Good trail just need to be in good shape, hard trail

Saturday, July 30, 2016

steep route that yields really interesting sandstone rock formations at the top as well as amazing views of the surrounding area.

Sunday, July 10, 2016

This is a beautiful trail. You start in alpine and up above the tree line. Along the way, you can view distant mountain chains to the northwest, west and southwest. Hiking through in late June, you'll still be crossing patches of snow at the top of the ridge. And if you're up for it, you can continue on from Devil's Playground to the top of Pikes Peak where you can secretly feel superior to all the folks up there who drove or took the train.
With that full trip to the top of the peak and back, you're looking at 12+ miles of hiking with serious elevation changes, so bring snacks and carry extra clothing for the cooler temperatures on your way up to 14,000 feet. Also, be ready to make your way to the top of the peak through a boulder field that'll be a pretty serious challenge to many.

Saturday, July 09, 2016

This is a great trail to hike for those who like more of a challenge over the nearby Crags. It's steep in many places and loose gravel on the rocks, so you need to watch your step. The weather was perfect and the views were terrific. We had driven up Pikes Peak a week earlier, so found it interesting that this trail ends in the gravel parking lot for Devil's Playground.

Monday, July 04, 2016

Hiked this trail on a not so nice day. Cloudy and once up to the tree line, very misty and rainy. Could barely see several feet in front of you. New to Colorado from Florida and Hubby had a hard time with the elevation. I went ahead while he rested and passed the "snow field" and did get to Devils Playground but so foggy couldn't enjoy the views . Will do it again by myself while Hubby picks me up at Pikes Road. On a sunny day!! Great workout !!!! Difficult d/t incline and elevation.

Friday, June 24, 2016

Love the difficult of this trek! Some exposure so start early. Lovely end to the trail to see below the summit of Pikes Peak. Just fabulous terrain and rocky, steep parts that get you breathing in that dear Colorado pine!

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

FYI, The Colorado Springs Gazette is reporting today (5/24/16) that this trail closed last week. I was considering hiking part of it in August when we visit, but it may not be back open by then. I have not hiked this trail, but was required to give it a star rating. It looks like a 5 to me! I am new to this site; maybe there is a news section that would be better to post this information.

"Pikes Peak Ranger District forest ranger Oscar Martinez said Tuesday (5/23/16) that spruce trees in the Crags area are at risk of falling. Forest Road 383 was closed late last week, and will remain closed for the next several weeks,'cutting off access to the Crags campgrounds and its trails, as well as the popular Devils Playground', Martinez said ... A 2011 infestation of beetles has killed many trees around rock formations facing the northwest side of Pikes Peak in Teller County. "

Friday, October 30, 2015

I really enjoyed this hike. I did this trail in Mid-October and there was snow from the start of the trailhead. That definitely made it more difficult than it would be in the summer. I was really glad I had some trekking poles or I would have ended up on my behind a couple of times... The trail gets very steep above the tree line but is still not too difficult. Have lots of water and you will have a great trip and see some amazing views!!

Monday, October 12, 2015

Unusually nice day for almost mid October. No snow, decent wind above tree line. The trail was easy to moderate, until above tree line then it was most definitely moderate hiking. Total time to get up, have a snack and get back was 3 1/2 hours.

Thursday, August 27, 2015

Not my favorite hike in this area. It is a great workout going up from the Crags Trailhead, but I found the steepness of the grade, combined with uncertain footing on the loose rocks, to be especially taxing on these old knees. Very glad that I had hiking poles on the way down, and was still picking my way quite deliberately to keep from slipping and sliding.
Some spectacular views and great photo ops, and the formations once you top out in the Devil's Playground area really are dramatic, but I'll probably not be doing it again.

Sunday, July 26, 2015

After being turned away at Mueller State Park, for strict no dog rules, we were instructed to come here! Very happy we did! Great gradual incline up to the boulder area with great views!
***Important: watch the skies, as the weather changes quickly here! We got caught in large thunder storm around noon on July 26th.

Saturday, July 25, 2015

We added this hike after completing the Crags trail. The trail is much steeper, but easy to manage. Only made it as far as the tree line before turning back. There were a number of people out on the trail as well, but not that bad. I want to make the summit next time!

Monday, July 13, 2015

Good hike. Challenging, but worth it. However, I would NOT rate this hike as easy. It's uphill the entire way to the rock formations and very tricky footing in quite a few locations with loose rocks and gravel.

However there is a stream a good length of time near the trailhead and its absolutely peaceful. The view up top are beautiful and the people along the way are very nice and good company. I'd recommend starting the hike very early, especially if you want to summit Pike before weather hits. Also, being that it's in the west slope, you don't get sun for quite a while, dress warm! It was only 34* when we started and only 67* when we headed back down the trail.

Monday, June 29, 2015

We backpacked up to Devil's Playground to camp out for the Pikes Peak Hill Climb. The 4.5 hour estimate was about right for us carrying 40+ lbs each, but this is only to the Playground area. If you are planning to continue to the summit of Pikes peak, you have a few miles and another ~1300 ft in elevation to go from here. I'm guessing that's why people are disputing the time. Most importantly, keep an eye on the weather, and head down at the very first sight of trouble - the clouds can change and form very quickly here. We tried to stay later for the race, and got caught in lightning/hail above treeline. The cog railway has forecasting for the summit as well, while most services will only give you valley forecasts.

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Hiked 13 June 15...snowpack about 11,400 on up and trail about 40% covered for the last 3/4 mile to the summit. Snow held 180lbs fairly well.

Great views from just prior to tree line through the playground. Round trip 3+30 from the crags campground. Found the tundra rather slippy without spikes.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Great hike! However, we experienced the reason for the name and had to turn back - LIGHTNING!!!

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Hiked September and Nov of 2012, altitude sickness the first time made it difficult to breath, no symptoms second time and was a spectacular climb. Took me WAY longer than many people post on here, but I am not from the mountains either and were my first high altitude climbs. So take your time, probably double it, if you are not from the mountains. Was snow and ice the second trip but still a wonderful hike and easy to follow if you stay on the trail! Just remember the way you started because on the way down, that seemed to be confusing as to where to get back to the trailhead near the end and there are a few aux paths near the campground at the lower elevation. Good trail conditions, steep, take hiking poles for the descent to protect your knees. NO cell service except for one breakthru spot about half way up.