Devils Playground from the Crags

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(198)
Pike National Forest

Devils Playground from the Crags is a 8.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Divide, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, horses, and mountain biking and is best used from April until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 8.5 miles Elevation Gain: 3,067 feet Route Type: Out & Back

A good hike up the side of Pikes Peak to some interesting Rock formations. From the parking lot you will see the sign for the Crags trailhead. Begin hiking down this trail. After a tenth of a mile you will see a sign on the right labeling trail 664A take this trail across a log bridge and begin your ascent. This trail will take you into a basin at the base of the peak, then it will aggressively gain elevation up to Devil's Playground. Parts of this trail are loose rock, but a group called Friends of the Peak are working on making this trail much more sustainable. As you ascend this steep section you will begin to get views of the Sawatch Range, Tenmile Range, Mosquito Range, and even the Sangre de Cristo Range. Take your time though as this hike is steep at times and reaches 13,000 feet of elevation.

nice hike! not an easy hike most is going up hill but totally worth it.

icy

beautiful day ,I think the weather was better than I've ever seen it, yak Trax were helpful on the way down

Great trail and hike on our way to Pikes Peak from the Craggs.

Superb! Stunning vistas and views. The incline above the treeline is steep but it's lots of fun going up and then coming back down. Windy!

A great hike. One not to miss if you hike Pike National Forest. We had great conditions today but as always its windy above treeline. The right equipment makes for a better experience. Thanks for joining us to the Devils Playground Taylor from Woodland Park.

Great trail and wonderful surroundings. Be careful with the higher altitude.

This was the first 13er my buddy and I had done and it certainly lived up to every expectation we had. The trail was extremely busy, being Labor Day weekend, but once we took the split off from the Crags trail to the Devils Playground trail, the crowds started thinning out. Would definitely recommend this hike to anyone looking for a fun, rewarding challenge.

Great solo hike. Very Beautiful.

Loved this hike! The rock formations are really cool! When I hiked it 7 years ago, there was almost nobody else on the trail, now it is definitely much more busy!

Hit this trail after The Crags (which was beautiful and worth it) so was a grueling hike for a moderate hiker. Plenty of incline most of the trail — although the switchbacks are more subtle. After the switchbacks you exit the tree line and hit an easier path right before the hike gets steep. The final ascent is breathtaking and tough. Especially for a sea level lad. More than a mile of steep rock steps take you to the top where you hit a plateau of amazing vistas (and some snow in August). The final walk to Devils Playground Peak is a slight incline but at that point in the hike — it’s a difficult final stretch. Overall, the hike is highly recommended and one I will never forget.

Did this hike yesterday (07/23/19) and it lived up to it’s “hard” rating. Although it was tough especially in the beginning, it was a gorgeous hike. There was hardly anyone on the trail which made for a peace hike, of course until you make it to the top. Would recommend this hike to those who are anticipating an all day hike.

This is a fantastic trail and just tough enough, especially once you get above the treeline. It's not overcrowded (on weekdays) and the views from the top are amazing except for the parking lot on the toll road. Once you see the parking lot, just turn around unless you're continuing to the top of Pikes Peak. It's great altitude training, has diverse terrain, and has great views. That's almost perfect.

Awesome trail with amazing views!!! Did it on 7/13/19. The first half is not too difficult, after that, the next mile or so gets steeper but it flattens out again until the end. I definitely recommend it if you’re in decent shape.

Snow is still knee deep. getting to devils playground is not a problem but would recommend doing the peak early if you want to reach the summit. The snow is still 3-4 feet deep in places but its solid in the morning. I made it with out any poles or spikes.

Thu May 30 2019

This trail is breath taking (in several ways). Once you get closer to the summit, you’ll see a view below of mountain ranges miles away, plus you can see the snowy tops of the mountains nearby. It definitely takes you by surprise the first time you get up there and is well worth the climb. Unfortunately, towards the top the trail become pronounced and there is quite a bit of snow (late May). I highly recommend this trail.

Sun May 26 2019

Weather sucked when I did this last Saturday.

Sun May 19 2019

Fri Jan 25 2019

good hike

Sun Oct 28 2018

This trail was definitely hard! It is uphill the whole way up and continues to get steeper as you reach the top. The views are absolutely amazing. It got extremely cold and windy towards the last stretch of the trail so wear warm clothes! I would also recommend hiking boots and poles. There are some parts with gravel that were slippery. There was some snow up there but not a lot. Would definitely do it again!

Mon Oct 22 2018

In my opinion, this trail is a lot harder than moderate for a relatively “in shape” adult. It is a steady incline the entire way to D.P. with some very steep portions that are rock/gravel. Trail is relatively easy to follow. Of course, the views along the way are priceless and 100% worth the journey. Approximately 8-9 miles round trip, depending how much wandering you do once at the top. We averaged around 1 hour per mile. We are from Illinois and the altitude had our lungs working pretty hard! Overall 4/5. Would try again with better preparation.

Mon Aug 13 2018

Excellent day hike! Did this with my father who is in his 60’s and my son who is 13. Make sure to check the weather before going and pack a jacket, it can be cooler in certain areas even in July when we went. Great views!

Mon Jul 09 2018

Perfect day for a perfect hike. I’m a 40+ year old from the “flatlands” of Nebraska and I am in OK shape, so most people should be able to complete this trail. The AllTrails app is excellent! I would suggest good shoes with aggressive tread to prevent slipping on the rocks/gravel. A hydration pack comes in handy - I went 3 16.9 oz bottles of water in the way up and 2 more purchase at Pike Peak on the way down. Once to Devil’s Playground, I went ahead and took the free shuttle to Pike’s Peak (instead of walking beside the road) - since I had already experienced the most scenic views (my opinion) - except from the top. I was amazed to look back down at the trail/valley and see the elevation gain over the rock formations that seemed so gigantic at the start of the trail! I will definitely be completing this hike again.

Tue Jul 03 2018

I would say a little more difficult than moderate although we added on the 5.5 mile hike to the summit of pikes peak which was the most difficult part. The top of this stretch was quite steep but had breathtaking views throughout and at the top. Go slow and steady and you’ll make it up pretty quickly.

Mon Jun 25 2018

Definitely much harder than moderate

Sun Jun 03 2018

Strenuous, chilly at the top, great hike!

Mon May 28 2018

Great hike, very steep incline towards the last stretch. The views headed up the mountain are amazing. There are a few areas with loose rock so hiking poles were handy but not required. You can add on Pikes Peak to this hike where you will cross the toll road at Devils Playground at the top. Expect some winds & cooler temps at the top. I experienced brief rain late afternoon. Temp was closer to high 40’s with strong winds & mid 70’s & sunny at the start & lower elevations.