Devil's Head Lookout Trail to Fire Tower

Devil's Head Lookout Trail to Fire Tower is a 2.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Larkspur, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.5 miles Elevation Gain: 885 feet Route Type: Out & Back

NOTE: The road leading to the trailhead (Rampart Range Road) is closed annually from at latest December 1st through the rest of the winter. Please check with Pike National Forest before visiting. As of September 2019, the trail is opened but the tower is still closed for maintenance. Devil's Head Lookout Trail takes you to a distinct granite rock outcropping in the front range west of Castle Rock. The outcropping is clearly visible from Castle Rock to Woodland Park. The outcropping is also home to the only fire lookout in Colorado that is staffed by the National Forest Service. This grants it a spot on the National Register of Historic Places. It should also have a spot on your hiking list. If you are in the front range it should be near the top. This hike does not offer you solitude or a particularly beautiful trail. It does offer you historical significance, views of the Rocky Mountains for 100 miles in all directions from the lookout tower, and a whole lot of fun! The hike to Devils Head is perhaps the best in the area to take kids on and makes an easy day or weekend trip from Denver. The majority of this hike is shaded by mixed Aspen and Pine forest. There are plenty of shaded benches where you can take a break to cool off, and catch your breath. A sign even marks the halfway point for you. The trail gains 950ft in elevation over 1.4 miles, and ends with a climb up 143 stairs. A person in average shape should be able to complete this hike.

closed

Called devil's head, they said the stairs/tower are closed indefinitely because they don't have funding to fix the safety issue. Since it's a National Park/Federal Government the only thing to do is call and ask when it will be fixed. The more calls, the higher up the pipeline the issue gets placed. 303-275-5610, push 2 for recreation, then 0 for operator, then ask about stair fix.

amazing views, tower is probably going to be closed all year. Still worth it tho

Easy, fun and quick!

Trail was in great shape, tower still closed for maintenance.

Any news on when the lookout stairs will be open?

Hiked 8/25. Pretty, relatively easy trail. Not very busy around 8:30am when we started, but parking lot was PACKED when we got back. Fire tower is still closed. There are beautiful views if you climb the surrounding rocks, but I would definitely like to come back when the the tower is accessible. Road to trail head is pretty bumpy - higher clearance is helpful!

closed

Stairs are still closed as of 8/26/2019.

Stairs are still closed for maintenance.

closed

My husband and I hiked this trail this morning. It is a gorgeous trail. We were disappointed to see that the stairs up to the tower were closed for maintenance. I checked the forest websites before leaving and didn’t see any alerts or notices for the closure. There is a large sign posted at the trail head stating the closure, but no date for when it will reopen. The hike itself is moderate - pretty rocky with a decent incline. There’s a number of spots along the trail to stop and see the views through the trees. Get there early if you prefer a quiet, peaceful hike. We arrived at the trail at 6:45am and 3 other cars were pulling in, so our hike was pretty calm. Coming down the mountain at about 8am, we passed a lot of people coming up and both parking lots were full. The road coming in is super bumpy with a few places that low clearance sedans may not be able to pass. Overall - a great experience. Definitely planning on returning when the tower is open!

Arrived at about 7am. Made it to the lookout tower by about 8:30am. It wasn't difficult, but I'm not gonna say it was easy either. The stairs at the end are the worst of it though. Then on to a fantastic view. We were lucky enough to get the tower to ourselves. I'll definitely be back.

We just moved back to Colorado and needed a good warm-up hike before venturing off to a 14er... this was perfect! Gradual incline all the way up with great places to stop and take in the scenery. This is a hike that I feel like we could take our friends on as they travel in to see us. From the dirt road to get there all the way to the breathtaking view from the fire tower, it really displays the side of Colorado that makes us happy to call this place home.

Great hike! There is about a 25-30 min drive through the park (on a dirt/uneven ish road) until you hit the trail. Trail is great! Steady incline to the top with amazing fews at every stop. Going up the last set of stairs was fine, but it made me nervous with my dog since the steps don't have backs - but he was fine (just me being a worried dog mom lol). Views on top are breathtaking and amazing. I'm pretty good with heights but the last 10 stairs definitely made me a little dizzy/nervous, but that's just me and would still do this hike again. Definitely recommend getting there early (I got there around 8am) but when I was leaving (Around 930/10) it was getting packed/lots of families/kids etc. About 1 hr 1/2 ish up and back if you're not really stopping much. Highly recommend!

I went with my dog (who did the trail very well!) this morning. For some reason, I had some elevation sickness (been living in the Springs for 3 years!), so this hike was much more difficult than it should have been. That being said, it was a clearly marked, fairly easy trail with moderate incline throughout. The top has the 'dreaded' stairs to the lookout. Even feeling sick, the stairs were definitely not bad for either my dog or myself. Most definitely worth the hike! I went at 11am on a Friday and was one of 5 cars in the lot when starting. The lot was almost fiilled up by the time I came down and surely would be more packed on weekends. PLEASE be careful driving up- almost got slammed by a car going quickly on the wrong side of the road around a blind corner.

Was an awesome trail, good for the whole family.

Enjoyable hike to the fire tower! Climb up and chat with the man who lives in the cabin at the bottom! He loves a fascinating life!

Great hike. Beautiful views. Dog friendly until the 100 wooden stairs at the end which my little one wouldn’t climb up. Road leading up is not paved and there were some big indents where a non-SUV could bottom out. Very much recommend it though.

good hike. great views

An amazing sunrise hike with stunning 360 views. A must do.

Great first Colorado hike for our niece coming from sea level. The views from the top were wonderful.

Great trail, beautiful scenery, mostly kid friendly.

Loved this hike! We arrived at the trailhead around 8:30 AM- the weather was perfect for hiking. We got back down around 10:30 and passed lots of people. The parking lot was in overflow at that point. I would recommend climbing some of the rocks around the trail, the views are SO worth it! We will be back.

Really great for an evening/sunset trail. Left the trailhead just after 6pm and made it back down before 8. Not very crowded and the sunset views were awesome. I went up the road in a Kia Soul and for the most part it was fine, right near the trailhead there were a couple of dicey spots but the clearance was fine. Pretty buggy on 7/26 though.

Great hike! Drove about 30 minutes on dirt road to get to trail head. Got there at 7.45 am on a Sunday, plenty parking, not too many people. Finished hike about 10 am, parking lot was completely full and trail got a little too crowded. Views are amazing from the fire lookout. The last part with stairs are probably not for people who are scared of heights. Steady uphill, but only about 1.4 miles one way. Trail is well marked.

I was visiting from the East coast and did this hike on my first full day (it was a Tuesday). I got there by 9:45 and there were just over a dozen cars already there. The trail had a decent amount of people on it but it was still a peaceful and enjoyable hike for me. Still adjusting to the difference in elevation, and being a pretty fit person, I did find myself struggling on the way up (especially the stairs to the tower). But all of the hard work was worth it. Thankfully, there is plenty of shade to keep you cool. The views at the top were beautiful and amazing. By the time I was heading down, it started to get crowded and the parking lot was full when I left. Definitely recommend!

Beautiful hike! The views at the top are spectacular. There are a lot of people on the trail but it’s well maintained and lots of room

Family was visiting from out of state and this was the favorite hike! Kids, 4,5 and 7 completed the hike. We got caught during rain and hail on the way down but it only added to the adventure story for everyone. Views were amazing on the way up and break taking at the tower. Will do this again in the future!