Devil's Head Lookout Trail to Fire Tower

Devil's Head Lookout Trail to Fire Tower is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sedalia, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

scenic driving

A "must do" hike to the area's only working fire lookout Devils head is a distinct granite rock outcropping in the front range west of Castle Rock. The outcropping is clearly visible from Castle Rock to Woodland Park. The outcropping is also home to the only fire lookout, in Colorado, that is staffed by the National Forest Service. This grants it a spot on the National Register of Historic Places. It should also have a spot on your hiking list. If you are in the front range it should be near the top. This hike does not offer you solitude or a particularly beautiful trail. It does offer you historical significance, views of 100 miles in all directions, and a whole lot of fun!! The hike to Devils head is perhaps the best in the area to take kids on. The majority of this hike is shaded by mixed Aspen and Pine forest. There are plenty of shaded benches where you can take a break to cool off, and catch your breath. A sign even marks the halfway point for you. The trail gains 950ft in elevation over 1.4 miles, and ends with a climb up 143 stairs. A person in average shape should easily be able to complete this hike.

Loved this hike till I got to the top and had to come down. at the top to get to tower you have to climb some thin stairs which is just fine going up but coming down take it easy. Over all a great hike. not to steep, kids will love it.

We hiked this trail at the beginning of August 2017. There's a decent parking lot at the trailhead, which was great. The road to get there is an improved dirt road, but can be bumpy. I would not take a low clearance vehicle on this one. This hike is pretty easy overall, but you do gain some elevation pretty quickly. Kids would probably do fine on this hike. We also saw a few marmots on the trail. There's are magnificent panoramic vistas at the summit. Highly recommend.

Great hike with a awesome view from the Lookout Tower!

Awesome trail! Hope you don't mind heights at the top!

Loved this hike! Lots a puppies on the hike to pet along the way! There are restrooms at the top. Bonus! We did take the wrong road coming back to Denver and it added two hours travel time. Oops! It was still a beautiful drive! We will do this one again! Yay day!

Great hike. 1.4 miles is a bit deceiving due to the elevation gain but totally worth the hike.

First time doing this hike. It is 1.40 miles there and back. Bring water as it is a bit of a work out to get to the tower. We didn't have to stop and rest on the way up but saw a lot of people doing just that. I was huffing and puffing a bit myself. I was surprised that they allow dogs at the top of the tower. A lady had a dog in front of me going up the stairs and the dog was terrified. She almost made it to the top and then the dog would not go up anymore, so she had to go back down. IMO It's no place for a dog to be, and I love dogs. The steps can be scary for some dogs (and people too) also it is tight up at the top. Inside the lookout a lady had her big dog in there and it took up a lot of room...also on the small deck that surrounds the lookout lots of people trying to get by with their dogs. It was a great hike though and I do recommend it. The views are fantastic!

It's a great hike! So many beautiful views. The trail is easy to follow. I went on a Wednesday around sunrise, I didn't see anybody going up or down, which to me sucked since I like seeing people going up or down the trail with me. But the road is maintained pretty well on the way up to the parking area. It took me about 2 hours with picture breaks up and back to complete.

The top of the fire house had amazing views everywhere you look!
Will be going again.

fun Hike! Busy weekend parking is an issue.

Gives you a nice workout. I saw people of all ages and probably physical capabilities. I was able to do it four months pregnant. We went on a Saturday so there were more people than if you go on a weekday. However there wasn't too many where you didn't have times by yourself. Several stops for resting. The trail way was laid out so no guesswork. There were other trails that branched off. Beautiful scenery and outlooks. The lookout was great. Go on a clear day to get even better visual range and distance. Plenty of parking. Some you self paid and also free options a small distance from the beginning. This is an intermediate/moderate hike but very much worth it no matter what capacity you are at. Easy fun.

Great rewarding hike. The perfect amount of challenging, with breathtaking views at the top.