Devil's Head Lookout Trail to Fire Tower is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sedalia, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

scenic driving

Devil's Head Lookout Trail takes you to a distinct granite rock outcropping in the front range west of Castle Rock. The outcropping is clearly visible from Castle Rock to Woodland Park. The outcropping is also home to the only fire lookout, in Colorado, that is staffed by the National Forest Service. This grants it a spot on the National Register of Historic Places. It should also have a spot on your hiking list. If you are in the front range it should be near the top. This hike does not offer you solitude or a particularly beautiful trail. It does offer you historical significance, views of the Rocky Mountains for 100 miles in all directions from the lookout tower, and a whole lot of fun!! The hike to Devils Head is perhaps the best in the area to take kids on and makes an easy day or weekend trip from Denver. The majority of this hike is shaded by mixed Aspen and Pine forest. There are plenty of shaded benches where you can take a break to cool off, and catch your breath. A sign even marks the halfway point for you. The trail gains 950ft in elevation over 1.4 miles, and ends with a climb up 143 stairs. A person in average shape should be able to complete this hike.

Incredible views once you make it to the overlook! Staircase to the top is a little unnerving.. but 100% worth it! Caution... the road to the parking area for this hike.. is a bumpy ride from hell.

Amazing views.

great hike...Billy the Ranger was a treat!

This was my third time doing this hike, it is one of my Colorado favorites! Mellow hike with 143 stairs to get to the tower. Panoramic views, similar to 14er views without the difficulty. Not a lot of aspens for fall colors, but the view at the top makes up for it.
To get to the trail there’s 10 miles of dirt road, manageable in all cars. The tower will be closed for the winter starting this Monday 10/8/18.

It’s a pretty hike with some really cool overlooks. The trail is super well maintained so, aside from the elevation gain, I’d put this as an easier hike. Not a ton of aspens out there but the ones that are were really pretty today! (10/4/18)

One of my favorite trails. An uphill climb with lots of rock formations and overlooks.

awesome views are well worth the climb!

This was on the top of my daughters hike I visited her from Connecticut she lives in Boulder we were staying in Deckers co where my husband did some fantastic fly fishing. So when I looked into Altrails for close places to hike near Deckers and this trail popped up. Being what I consider myself a flat lander and noticed it was rated moderate I said why not for those of you that live below sea level should be aware that when it says moderate it is for us hard. But I was here and I was determined and let me tell you it was the one of the most breath taking views I ever saw and from the top we saw a Forrest fire which believe it or not was close to Deckers what are the odds. I am disappointed I didn’t have a chance to speak to Billy because I was pressed for time.

Great places to see the aspens in the fall! Also a great place to bring visitors to Colorado who are looking for a rewarding hike and view.

Been hiking this trail for 35 years. Always fun and beautiful! Great for kids and dogs.

Good short hike, great views including Denver 30+ miles away. I did this hike on a Thursday late afternoon and only past 4-8 hikers heading up for sunset as I was heading down.

Traveling to trail head is a decent trek on a dirt road which doesn't require 4WD/AWD but does have washboard segments which keeps the speeds slow.

Good quick sub 2 hour trip.

This is my go-to hike for all my out of town visitors. Typically it is very crowded, but most people are courteous and friendly. Get an early start to get parking and be sure to bring water for the pup. Great views and a fun experience climbing the 143 stairs to the fire lookout tower and of course meeting Billy Ellis who has been stationed at the tower for over 33 summers!

Loved this hike! Amazing views!
Only issue was our gps took us down a county road that was full of rocks and we had off road for 5 miles. We took another way out and it was fine. If your gps tries to take you down a county road and it looks rough don’t go down it, it only gets worse unless you have a Jeep or 4 wheel drive. We were coming from Colorado Springs.

Nice! Uphill 1st half then down way back. Plenty of shade along the way but no water for the doggo so bring some for them too! Great views from the lookout tower.

Easy, nice view

i really love the app, but you really need to give me the option of downloading maps when a wifi is not available. 9 times out of 10, I'm out of wifi range when I decide to plan a hike.

Spectacular views! Had a great time on this hike. Short and sweet.

Nice short hike with moderate elevation gain.
Beautiful / awesome views.
Yes, lots of hikers, but what the heck! They are all doing what we love, and introducing kids and “newbies” to the joys of “getting out there”.
Easy access. Give it a try!

Wonderful hike but most days busy with crowds hiking up. Easy hike although parking can be a challenge.

Beautiful hike! Fun for the whole family, though difficult in certain areas. Be prepared for the steep step climb at the end to reach the lookout itself.

Recommend going during the day on a weekday, as it is pretty popular.

Great hike! Path was well maintained with lots of great photo ops along the way.

Very nice short hike. I made the hike from the parking lot to the site one about 90 minutes. Spectacular views!

What a fun and beautiful hike in the forest! The pup loved it too!

Great hike!!! But they weren’t lying about the “road” to get there. Extremely bumpy and also curvy so if you or someone you’re with gets car sick, be aware and take it slow. Other than that the hike up was awesome. I’m not 100% used to the elevation yet so I did stop about 2-3 times for some water and to catch my breath. There’s a halfway point too which is great letting you know where you are throughout the trail. The steps to the tower are very steep so be cautious with that. Busy trail which was perfect for me because I usually hike alone with my dog. 10/10

Short, relatively easy hike with amazing 360-degree panoramic views atop the Fire Lookout cabin. Plenty of bouldering to do along the way, especially at the top. You could spend 2-3 hours on a quick hike or you could spend 12 hours hiking and bouldering around!

As other people have mentioned, the last 9 Miles (30-45 mins) to the trailhead is on a narrow, uneven dirt/gravel with minimal space for oncoming traffic, sharp turns, and drop offs. Not nearly as intense as Pike’s Peak or Mt. Evans drives, but make sure you have gas and decent tires. 4WD is nice but not absolutely necessary.

Parking is limited and fills up by 9-10am (or earlier)

Trailhead is at 9,000 feet with the Fire Lookout at about 9800.

Quick hike, not too steep and surprisingly great views!

Awesome hike! We got to meet Billy up in the tower. What a great guy!!

Easy 3 mi RT with a cool view.

Great front range hike but expect crowds on most days. I did this hike with my 9yr old son and he had no issues but he's also an active hiker. The lookout is an awesome prize for the hike and we both loved the stairs and seeing out across the front range. I clocked 3.5mi in total and started at the TH. Keep in mind the road to get there is heavily trafficked with numerous offroaders and can get rough in sections due to the washboard. A great weekend hike to get outside and enjoy Colorado. We did 3.5mi in 2:29 and that included lunch at the top.