Devil's Head Lookout Trail to Fire Tower

Devil's Head Lookout Trail to Fire Tower is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sedalia, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

scenic driving

A "must do" hike to the area's only working fire lookout Devils head is a distinct granite rock outcropping in the front range west of Castle Rock. The outcropping is clearly visible from Castle Rock to Woodland Park. The outcropping is also home to the only fire lookout, in Colorado, that is staffed by the National Forest Service. This grants it a spot on the National Register of Historic Places. It should also have a spot on your hiking list. If you are in the front range it should be near the top. This hike does not offer you solitude or a particularly beautiful trail. It does offer you historical significance, views of 100 miles in all directions, and a whole lot of fun!! The hike to Devils head is perhaps the best in the area to take kids on. The majority of this hike is shaded by mixed Aspen and Pine forest. There are plenty of shaded benches where you can take a break to cool off, and catch your breath. A sign even marks the halfway point for you. The trail gains 950ft in elevation over 1.4 miles, and ends with a climb up 143 stairs. A person in average shape should easily be able to complete this hike.

Is there a way to access this road from the south? We drove down from Denver and the road to the hike was closed out like others have said, not sure if can access from the south or if that road is closed too?

Thanks!

Fantastic views, but the road is closed 6 miles from the trailhead. So it ended up being a 16 mile hike.

My friend and I took our two dogs on this hike. It was short and sweet. We did it as a sunset hike, and made it to the top in time to enjoy the sunset! Hiking down with headlamps was new for me, and I enjoyed every part of this. There was only one time where we had to pick up the dogs to get them over the rocks, right before we got to the top. I'd do it again!

did this on a full moon night with headlamps. 4 stars not 5 because I dislike exposed drop offs and this was a real challenge for me but I knew ahead. If you are not afraid of heights this one is worth the drive!

Road was closed 6 miles from trailhead

Love love love this trail!!!

Beautiful

The views from the lookout tower are spectacular. I do not remember a smell but the trail was packed with people, including a large school group.

I literally could've spent the entire afternoon up there, was so nice! a good starting hike to start getting yourself back in shape

Great lung workout as someone getting used to the elevation, but with nicely placed rest areas usually with great views. The view from the tower is life changing for a flat lander.

I hiked this on Saturday 11/12 with my mom. We arrived about 9 am and their were only about 5 other cars in the parking lot. When we made it to the top we had the tower to ourselves! And had a nice snack break. On our way down we passed A LOT of people and dogs. The parking lot and overflow were full by 11 am. I highly recommend getting an early start.

Rampart Range Road is closing December 1st.

Lookout tower building closing for season after Wednesday 11/9. Hike was great, trail dry and easy to navigate. Noticeable smell only present in 2 small 20ft areas.