Devil's Head Lookout Trail to Fire Tower

Devil's Head Lookout Trail to Fire Tower is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sedalia, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

scenic driving

A "must do" hike to the area's only working fire lookout Devils head is a distinct granite rock outcropping in the front range west of Castle Rock. The outcropping is clearly visible from Castle Rock to Woodland Park. The outcropping is also home to the only fire lookout, in Colorado, that is staffed by the National Forest Service. This grants it a spot on the National Register of Historic Places. It should also have a spot on your hiking list. If you are in the front range it should be near the top. This hike does not offer you solitude or a particularly beautiful trail. It does offer you historical significance, views of 100 miles in all directions, and a whole lot of fun!! The hike to Devils head is perhaps the best in the area to take kids on. The majority of this hike is shaded by mixed Aspen and Pine forest. There are plenty of shaded benches where you can take a break to cool off, and catch your breath. A sign even marks the halfway point for you. The trail gains 950ft in elevation over 1.4 miles, and ends with a climb up 143 stairs. A person in average shape should easily be able to complete this hike.

Getting to the fire tower and the view from it is worth pursuing for folks not from town and looking to get out of town for a quick hop. Afterwards stop @ Bud's Bar for a Brew & burger.

Easy hike with moderate incline. Great "first hike of the season" for my husband, pup and I. We didn't take our dog up the stairs to the lookout tower (I thought it was too exposed/dangerous), but there were some who did! Gorgeous views from the top and very well marked trail. About a 15 min walk down the road from the parking area to the trailhead.

Great hike to take people of all levels of experience. We had 12 (plus 2 dogs) in our group and went up early to avoid heavy traffic. The overflow parking lot is the only one open right now due to snow and mud on the road. From overflow to trail head is .6 miles so add that to your time/distance.
At 9am the trail only had a few other couples with dogs. It was a little icy and snow covered. On our way down the weather warmed up the trail and it turned to mud.
Until it really warms up be prepared for slippery spots and snow packed switch backs. The trail is shaded even with the tornado destruction you'll see in the first half mile (from trailhead).
We had a perfect clear day to see 100's of miles of mountain ranges and cities. Fire tower is closed so you can only walk around the outside.

Great views but trail is still quite snow packed. Some sections are very icy and slushy.

Is there a way to access this road from the south? We drove down from Denver and the road to the hike was closed out like others have said, not sure if can access from the south or if that road is closed too?

Thanks!

Fantastic views, but the road is closed 6 miles from the trailhead. So it ended up being a 16 mile hike.

My friend and I took our two dogs on this hike. It was short and sweet. We did it as a sunset hike, and made it to the top in time to enjoy the sunset! Hiking down with headlamps was new for me, and I enjoyed every part of this. There was only one time where we had to pick up the dogs to get them over the rocks, right before we got to the top. I'd do it again!

did this on a full moon night with headlamps. 4 stars not 5 because I dislike exposed drop offs and this was a real challenge for me but I knew ahead. If you are not afraid of heights this one is worth the drive!

Road was closed 6 miles from trailhead

Love love love this trail!!!

Beautiful