Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Devil's Head Lookout Trail to Fire Tower

Devil's Head Lookout Trail to Fire Tower is a 2.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Sedalia, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

NOTE: The road leading to the trailhead (Rampart Range Road) is closed annually from at latest December 1st through the rest of the winter. Please check with Pike National Forest before visiting. Devil's Head Lookout Trail takes you to a distinct granite rock outcropping in the front range west of Castle Rock. The outcropping is clearly visible from Castle Rock to Woodland Park. The outcropping is also home to the only fire lookout, in Colorado, that is staffed by the National Forest Service. This grants it a spot on the National Register of Historic Places. It should also have a spot on your hiking list. If you are in the front range it should be near the top. This hike does not offer you solitude or a particularly beautiful trail. It does offer you historical significance, views of the Rocky Mountains for 100 miles in all directions from the lookout tower, and a whole lot of fun!! The hike to Devils Head is perhaps the best in the area to take kids on and makes an easy day or weekend trip from Denver. The majority of this hike is shaded by mixed Aspen and Pine forest. There are plenty of shaded benches where you can take a break to cool off, and catch your breath. A sign even marks the halfway point for you. The trail gains 950ft in elevation over 1.4 miles, and ends with a climb up 143 stairs. A person in average shape should be able to complete this hike.

Nice day hike you can take the family on. It seems the trail is fairly popular so you will not be alone in prime season. Once you are up top there is a small open valley that looks like someone built a park near the top of the mountain. Perfect place to have a picnic. From here you can take the stairs up and check out the view from the watchtower. You can also go to the other end and climb up some rocks for another great view. They said you can see for 100 miles from the top.

closed

Anyone know if the last 6 mile road stretch is open today/these past couple of days?

Excellent trail. The tower is a solid reward for the hike.

Awesome hike! Went up in November 2018, trail was pretty icy / snowy but could hike it in sneakers (did a lot of butt slides on the way down). The fire tower is well worth the hike and then the climb when you reach it.

Getting to the trail head was very very bumpy and slow moving in some spots.

Fun hike near Denver. With half the population of the front range. Parking can fill up early.

long hike but well worth the veiw from the top did it in sept had nice weather

I went to hike this yesterday morning/early afternoon (12/7/2018) and the road we came in on was closed about 6 miles out. I did not try to loop around to the west nor did I head back east to go over and up and see if that pass was open. Beware.

Pleanty of incline and finishes that with stairs that seem to go on, on. You are rewarded with views that go on forever & an old fire tower that is very cool to see. Very nice hike with many photo opts. Did this hike in July/18 and it was very busy but perfect weather.

Hiked this trail on 11/10. Like the other two posts mentioned the trail is significantly covered in ice and snow with a decent amount of foot traffic. Be prepared to slide and have a few good wipeouts. The views along the trail are spectacular and I’m looking forward to going back again in the spring, summer and/or fall when the aspen leaves are changing. And yes the 30min drive on the dirt road is pretty rough, but if my Sentra can do it then all other vehicles can also.

Hiked this trail 11/10/18. The 9 mile road, like others mentioned, is pretty rough but it was well worth the hike! There’s plenty of great viewing spots on the way to the lookout station. The only thing I’d note is that it was pretty icy when I went. Many people (myself included) were sliding and took some bad falls. However, if you’re prepared for the icy conditions it’s well worth the drive for the 360 views of mountains.

Some of the best views from any trail in Colorado. Before I got to the trail head I had a bear run across Rampart Range Road in front of me, he was a light brown color. Hiked on 9 Nov 18, started about 0900, temp was 27 degrees at the trail head. Trail is almost totally covered in snow and ice, wear crampons or micro spikes so you don't fall. The stairs to the top are mostly snow/ice covered, best hang on tightly on the way up and down.

Majestic

Absolutely loved this hike!

Easy hike with incredible views. dog friendly and not busy. The 9 miles of dirt road are a little rough, but we managed in our Honda Civic.

Easy, family friendly...best views I’ve seen yet!

Loved it! Soooo beautiful!! View was breathtaking!

Great hike. Breathtaking views from the top. Worth the climb up to the tower at the end of the hike.

Took the dogs and kids. Amazing drive up, beautiful views. It’s a must.

Nice hike! Got there a little after eight and there were a few cars in the lot but I only saw three or four other people on my way up. A little icy about 3/4 of the way to the top but I did ok in just sneakers, just had to go a little slow on the way back down. Lovely views all around from the lookout. Seems like a good one to bring visitors to as it’s not too long but you get great views at the end.

The road is bumpy — you’ll definitely get jostled in a few places — but my Honda Accord made it up no problem and the beautiful drive through the forest more than made up for the bumps.

Incredible views once you make it to the overlook! Staircase to the top is a little unnerving.. but 100% worth it! Caution... the road to the parking area for this hike.. is a bumpy ride from hell.

Amazing views.

great hike...Billy the Ranger was a treat!

This was my third time doing this hike, it is one of my Colorado favorites! Mellow hike with 143 stairs to get to the tower. Panoramic views, similar to 14er views without the difficulty. Not a lot of aspens for fall colors, but the view at the top makes up for it.
To get to the trail there’s 10 miles of dirt road, manageable in all cars. The tower will be closed for the winter starting this Monday 10/8/18.

It’s a pretty hike with some really cool overlooks. The trail is super well maintained so, aside from the elevation gain, I’d put this as an easier hike. Not a ton of aspens out there but the ones that are were really pretty today! (10/4/18)

One of my favorite trails. An uphill climb with lots of rock formations and overlooks.

awesome views are well worth the climb!

This was on the top of my daughters hike I visited her from Connecticut she lives in Boulder we were staying in Deckers co where my husband did some fantastic fly fishing. So when I looked into Altrails for close places to hike near Deckers and this trail popped up. Being what I consider myself a flat lander and noticed it was rated moderate I said why not for those of you that live below sea level should be aware that when it says moderate it is for us hard. But I was here and I was determined and let me tell you it was the one of the most breath taking views I ever saw and from the top we saw a Forrest fire which believe it or not was close to Deckers what are the odds. I am disappointed I didn’t have a chance to speak to Billy because I was pressed for time.

Great places to see the aspens in the fall! Also a great place to bring visitors to Colorado who are looking for a rewarding hike and view.

Been hiking this trail for 35 years. Always fun and beautiful! Great for kids and dogs.