Learn more

Devil's Causeway is a 6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Yampa, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,637 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Located in the Flat Tops Wilderness Area, visitors are drawn to this trail which features a narrow "land bridge” that is 50 feet in length, narrowing to as little as 4 feet in width, and has drops of several hundred feet on each side. There is no rope or rail to aide in the causeway crossing so use caution and proceed at your own risk. The trail is mostly forested until reaching Little Causeway Lake. Once you get to this point you will see the causeway and to your west you will see Chinese Wall. This completes the easier portion of the hike - you will then begin to climb. Warning: This area can be prone to lightning storms. To avoid the likelihood of getting caught in a storm, start your hike early start before storms build. If you see lightning, immediately return to lower ground. Dogs must be under voice control or leashed. This trail can also be done as a loop to make a longer hike after crossing the causeway.

Trail conditions were great with only a few muddy spots and snow on the switchbacks.

icy

Tried to do the loop on June 13 but turned around at the Causeway . There is still quite a bit of snow prior to topping out and post holing wasn’t a lot of fun . I did manage to get to the top but turned around and joined my hiking mates ... still an incredible day and gives me the anticipation to go back ... went to the Antlers for dinner afterwards .. so a great day of hiking for sure .

icy

May 2020: this was my first time in this area and I was excited but nervous to take on the causeway. The dirt road to the trail head is rough and started getting heavy snow coverage 2 miles before the trailhead so I parked and hiked in. Very eerie because I was literally the only person beyond that point, but a nice quiet trek to the trailhead. Once I got there, the trail was still heavily snowed over. Probably would have been fine with equipment like poles, snowshoes, and spikes but I had none of that so I took photos of the beautiful lake there then turned around. I wasn’t about to go on the causeway in those conditions. That being said: beautiful area! I will definitely come back later, probably mid to late June, to see if I can finally do the Devil’s Causeway. Note: I had my dog with me and he loved the snow and I had him off leash due to no other hikers and lots of space plus he is good with voice control. Kinda wish there had been a review like this before I went up but I’m glad I got to have a day adventure. I’m not sure if the trail gets better as you get higher but I didn’t want to risk it.

So calm and peaceful in the Flat Tops with all the fall colors and so few visitors. Of all the trails we hiked in the Flat Tops, this one had the most people on it, but in a day’s hike, we probably only saw 20 people and 10 dogs

Loved this hike! Wildflowers were still gorgeous though probably at peak 9-14 days ago I’d bet. Gorgeous views the entire hike up and down. I didn’t cross the Causeway- it is no joke!- but did get up to the the top. Really loved this hike.

Amazing hike today. We did the loop counterclockwise from Stillwater as suggested. It was perfect as the clouds started gathering once we were on the plateau. We did not encounter rain though the wind was fierce and the mosquitoes vicious below tree line. We were glad we had used bug spray. Nice surprise that there were still so many wildflowers in bloom. Probably not for long as it was 49 when we started the hike. Frost will be coming soon I imagine. Not many on the trail.

A really nice hike. Only saw 4 other hikers the entire day and the causeway was empty. The bug situation in the forested portions of the hike must be very variable as I only saw a few unlike others who have reported more. I did the causeway using my hands since I am not the most coordinated. Another person with whom I hiked used poles and stood upright. Lots of wildflowers at lower altitudes and alpine meadow/tundra on the tops of the buttes. Sheep could be seen in the distance but the herding dogs were never near us.

Lots of dogs! Most of the elevation is at the end. The meadows with wildflowers were awesome!

Top 5 hikes. Actual Causeway crossing is short but worth the hike up. Amazing views. Bring bug spray.

Wildflowers! Insane views! Huge payoff for little effort!!! Worth every bug bite!

A must-do! The causeway alone is sufficient reason to undertake this hike. It is a unique rock formation unlikely to be rivaled elsewhere. As of July 26, 2019 there are still a few snowfields, nothing impassable. Mosquitoes can be bad in places, especially in the parking area, and storms can come up quickly, so bring bug spray and rain gear. But don't let bugs or weather deter you! This hike is worth it.

Flowers were gorgeous along Stillwater lake - especially a few hillsides of columbines. The trail has some patches of mud and snowfields on the upper sections, but the causeway is dry. Saw maybe a dozen other hikers.

We did the out and back on 7/20. Clouds surrounding and didn’t want to get caught in the storm. Trail has a few snow fields, but very passable. Micro spikes on way down helped.

Mon Jul 01 2019

Still lots of snow. You can get to Little Causeway Lake with no special gear, just expect wet boots. Anywhere past there will require snow climbing gear for at least a few more weeks. We saw a dozen people there this weekend that all had to turn around.

Sun Jun 30 2019

We were all so excited to hike this one but with the snow, we couldn’t make the path out this past week. It was still beautiful and I hope to one day complete this when I come back.

Mon Jun 10 2019

Headed to devils causeway yesterday. Had a feeling there would be lots of snow and we were right! We were able to follow the east fork trail off and on, due to snow patches. Too much snow to continue up the east fork to devils causeway so hiked on bear river trail. part way around Stillwater reservoir. Will attempt again in a couple weeks.

Mon Sep 03 2018

Nice out and back hike with some good elevation gain. The view at the top is great. We got there around 9:30 and had no trouble with parking. There are some steep areas so trekking poles are helpful.

Fri Aug 17 2018

Spectacular view and good experience overall. Was a little scary crossing the causeway section, and the elevation change was a bit tiring. But Sooo glad I made it to the top for the view!

Wed Aug 15 2018

The hike starts off in a thickly wooded area, the air is cool and the wilderness is great. The first mile is like this. The last 2ish miles are exposed but you hike up to the top of the beautiful Flat Tops. Great views all around. If you’re feeling dangerous, cross the narrow rock bridge on top!

Tue Jul 10 2018

Great hike with beautiful views. Dogs are allowed so I am not sure why that is not mentioned here. Took my boyfriend, pup and I about 3 hours round trip. Would definitely do this again.