Learn more

Devils Canyon Loop Trail is a 6.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Fruita, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, bird watching, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.7 miles Elevation Gain: 764 feet Route Type: Loop

There is almost an endless number of trail combinations in this area. There are trails that lead to Kodels Canyon, one that takes you to Flume Canyon and many different routes around the Devils Canyon area.

good spring hike

Beautiful trail. Wish there was a marker where it goes down the rock face. Had to back track. And last weekend I tried it and ended up on a completely different trail. We didn’t pass any people though. Really nice hike.

The track shown here goes deep into the canyon -- you could even go further back than this loop if you wanted. The first part of the hike is in a very, very dense network of trails that go off in all directions throughout the area, which is geologically interesting and peppered with interpretative signs. It's kind of confusing, but once you figure out how to get down into the wash that leads to the loop in the canyon, it's straightforward. I did the loop clockwise, which I think was maybe not optimal, because if I had gone in the other direction I would have gotten many of the tiring up and down segments out of the way first. The scenery is excellent.

The trail is great but the number of dogs running free is a huge downside for me. I don't want dogs running up on me.

Trail not well marked when trying to get down into the ravine.

First mile in is a gorgeous stream bed. Then each side of the loop climbs to a bench on each side of the canyon. A little snow on some parts of the trail.

Great day hike! Elevation is misleading as the trail has many ups and downs, so it was more difficult than we expected.

Great trail

Excellent trail for a fall day. Was super quiet the day we hiked.

It is a really nice hike. It’s easy on some places and challenging in others. I will say that if you aren’t paying attention to the trail, you’ll find yourself going off trail. I got to a split, but didn’t even realize it because there was no markings to say where the trail began, so I walked probably a little more than 7 miles just due to that fact alone. But I’d recommend it if you have time to spare.

Make sure you do some research on the trail systems here, because there are a lot of ways you can go and it gets a little confusing. This hike was awesome though, challenging enough to keep it interesting and plenty of beautiful views!

Started around 345 pm. Very pretty. My suggestion is go clockwise for the best views.

Great trail. Can hike as far or as little as you want. My golden retriever is feeling his age. Cut hike short. Hard time of aging dogs life(:

8/4/19 Beautiful trail. Some scrambling but mostly very easy to follow. At half way, it started to rain on us and it got worse from there. We tried to made it out of there quicks. So after the water came from every which way. It was kinda scary a little bit because the water running fast. And trail got slippery very quickly. i got the trail & wash ways mixed up a couple times. But thanks to the app, it helped navigating me to be on the right track. Nevertheless, my dog and I got back to the car soaking wet. And we made the whole loop.

It was too hot for my dog do we couldn't finish it. There are sopts off trail for a bit of shade but I'm not in to stopping every few feet like she wants to do in 90 degrees. Maybe next time...

Very beautiful views, but the signage is confusing and the AllTrails app did not match them at all which was frustrating. We enjoyed where we ended up, but the app was not helpful.

Beautiful & manageable hike! I got a little off trail but used the app to get back, be mindful of where you are heading :)

Good hike. Always a great way to start the day. Took the dogs and they had a blast with all the water in the creeks up and coming down. Great way to cool off. Beautiful part of the state for sure!

Views were great and trail was decently marked, pay attention to the cairns as they helped identify the trail to get down into the river. Went in the first week of May and was very warm with little to no shade. Bring lots of water and try to hit the trail in the early morning.

Very beautiful hike!

One of my favorite local hikes. Hiking conditions range from easy to slightly challenging. Watch for snakes in the summer and flooding in the rainy season.

Enjoyed this! Took us 4 hours and 15 minutes. definitely pack extra water and wear sunscreen. we had to cross the water a few times, but it was pretty easy to keep our feet dry.

Fri Mar 29 2019

Gorgeous views!

Thu Mar 28 2019

It was a decent hike. We did not look at the sign before leaving and didn’t realize that Devil’s Canyon would be signed at D3. Therefore we ended up a little off the trial and into a different system. Once on the trail, it was mostly easy to follow, there are a few places where people made their own path, so you could keep following back instead of looping around at the turnaround point. On the way back, the trail is mostly just walking along or in the creek as it has taken over some of the trail. Overall, I’d recommend it because it was a nice hike, but I’d recommend closely following the map if you’re new to this trial system!

Wed Mar 27 2019

D3 Connector to D4 loop. Flowing creek, butterflies fluttering, and spring green views.