Devil's Canyon 4x4 Road

Devil's Canyon 4x4 Road is a 5.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

scenic driving

A fun loop not far from entrance to Mt. Evans A fun loop with several side roads to explore. Trail is open to motorized traffic June 15 through Nov. 15. Gate is locked the rest of the year. Broad views from top of mountain. Parking along Highway 103 near start of trail. Before or after you drive this trail, consider a trip to Echo Lake and Mt. Evans, just another 2.5 miles past the trailhead on Hwy. 103. Fun area for unlicensed vehicles with many legal side roads to explore. High Point 10,300 ft., Best time to go: Late June through mid October. Located in Arapaho National Forest. For current conditions call Clear Creek Ranger District (303) 567-3000. Much of this trail is easy; however, there is one steep, rocky spot that is borderline difficult. This section may be closed on future MVUMs. If closed, continue east short distance, turn left and go out the way you came in.

24 minutes ago

Not very crowded (can it stay that way?), nice loop with a lot of loose rocks and some decent dips. Could see how having a lift would be useful in some spots but had no trouble with a stock '15 T4R.

Off work on a Monday and went to check it out. fun trail, saw one tent out there but no people and didn't see anyone else on the trail which was super nice change of pace. all in all good time.

1st trail I took my 1980 CJ5, 31" tires (no lift) on. I wanted to see how I would handle the CJ on a non-aggressive short trail. It was a bit different than driving the husbands Modified JK but I have to admit the CJ was more fun. Pretty views and some great camping spots. I recommend the side trails off the loop.

off road driving

An awesome loop. I would say this is a moderate to hard trail. Definitely some challenging dips would not suggest for any vehicle without a lift. Beautiful surroundings with a couple awesome lookout spots. There is also a couple shortcuts through the loop that I would categorize as Hard. This was definitely the hardest I've pushed my vehicle and had a great time doing it. Enjoy!

Jeep JK Sahara 4" lift / 35" tires

off road driving

Took my 2017 Raptor through the whole 5.3 mile trail today in the pouring rain. This was a pretty fun trail that had some rocky inclines that for sure requires ground clearance. There were definitely some narrow areas for a Raptor (or full size truck). But we made it through unscathed. I'd definitely do this one again!

off road driving

Took the Pro4x Xterra all the way around, fun trails that has great views. The back side was the hardest part but we made it around no issues.

off road driving

Perfect moderate trail. Took stock Willys edition JK with no problems.

Great view of mount Evans. Will do this one again

awesome for shooting guns, too

off road driving

Took the kids and wife in the 98 TJ, 33" tires, 4" lift for a nice Sunday excursion. Not a hard trail, mostly rocky and couple areas with deep ruts that made the kids wahoo! This time of year, with the aspens turning, just beautiful drive. Yes, there was a makeshift target practice range just off trail, but it was safely being used during our trip. Lots of areas to camp.

off road driving

First time using the app and first time taking our 06 Dodge Ram 1500 (small lift, wheels and tires) off road. The trail was cool. Narrow in some spots. Nothing too crazy but a few rocky spots. It was a nice drive. Saw a few groups of campers. One large group shooting guns at the top of a hill in our direction. That pissed me off so I did my best to hurry past them. I stopped to take a picture a little ways up the trail. I got out to take the picture and suddenly bullets were whizzing past. The group had changed direction and again was shooting in our direction. This was terrifying because I had my two small children with me. I was furious. I hurried back into the truck and up the trail only to encounter a group of teenagers in a Honda CR-V. They asked if I'd seen a large group of people. I let them know that they were on top of the hill shooting. I'm glad no one was hurt!
We had a great time other than the morons shooting and don't get me wrong I EDC and I love to shoot but you can't be an idiot, someone will get hurt.

Thursday, August 04, 2016