Devil's Backbone Trail - Extended Route

Devil's Backbone Trail - Extended Route is a 6.1 mile loop trail located near Loveland, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This is a great semi-urban Trail! There are some lovely 360 degree and mountain views. We enjoyed stepping into the keyhole. The farther in you get the rockier the trail is. That last Loop (Laughing Horse Loop) was pretty uneven and challenging on the feet, and I was wishing a mountain biker would pass by so I could watch. I hear this trail is one to avoid in the summer due to heat and snakes, but in November it was absolutely wonderful!

Cloudy day hike

love riding here.. nice flowy trails, some pretty good climbs.. fun trail...

Encountered a large rattlesnake last Sunday. The trail, in some places, is so narrow, that it's impossible to avoid rattlesnakes. I had a biker who helped me get out of that situation, & he probably saved my life. Please be careful of the rattlesnakes out there.

One of my favorites.

My sis and I did a leisurely hike of about 3 miles on am unusually warm day in February. Beautiful! We hiked from the parking area up to the key hole and then back around. Great little hike.

Sunday, October 23, 2016

Saw a lot of dogs, there is a lot of trail so you can do the amount you like. Very busy.

Sunday, October 16, 2016

We love this easy trail. Great for quick bike ride too !

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Pretty landscape. Easy trail. Some wildlife

Thursday, June 30, 2016

One of my favorites, close to home, always see all kinds of wildlife and I can go with family members.

Friday, October 02, 2015

Nice trail! I did this on a cool, overcast October day - perfect weather as we didn't have to deal with excessive heat. Not too strenuous, nice views.

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Good easy hike. Need lots of water due to minimal shade!

Sunday, July 19, 2015

Great hike for cooler days and winter, but there aren't many places for shade in the summer. Nice views from the keyhole and the additional loops are worth it.

Monday, November 18, 2013

Great Hike- near Horsetooth Reservoir- and beautiful . Pretty easy hike.

Thursday, August 15, 2013

A pretty easy hike. It's a great stepping stone to longer, more difficult hikes. especially if you are still adjusting to the elevation. No shade except at the key loop. It is a great spot to stop and take a break with benches, shade, and a nice breeze. There are water fountains/bathrooms at the trail head.

Thursday, June 06, 2013

Beautiful scenery. The weather was perfect and there were great views. Definately bring lots of water.

Friday, November 11, 2011

Fun and easy hike. Great views from the keyhole, which is a short distance in. All around nice views

Sunday, August 07, 2011

Fun trail to hike. Very unique geo-features along the way. Key hole is a must stop. Not much shade on the trail so be prepared. This trail connects to Coyote Ridge and Horsetooth Reservoir, if you want to make a half day hike of it. Trail is known for frequent rattle snake encounters.