Devil's Backbone Nature Trail

Devil's Backbone Nature Trail is a 4.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Loveland, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

An extension to the Devils Backbone Interpretive Trail. After a short but fairly steep up hill you will enter a rolling plateau that has some awesome views of the CO foothills with Longs Peak in the background. If you're quiet and observant you may see some deer along with other wildlife. For an area that is so close to civilization the quiet and solitude of this place is a nice respite. The views of the Devils Backbone from the summit gives a different view to this geological wonder.

August 18, mountain bikes the trail with my 13 year old. We loved the trail, absolutely beautiful and fun. We are from Michigan so this was definitely different than what we are use too. It was a blast and I would recommend it to anyone.

Nice trail close to town with rocks and nature. Very enjoyable.

Love but be cautious of rattle snakes !

Great hike for all levels and ages of hikers. No shade. Be cautious of snakes. Hear they are there but in the numerous times I have been out there thankfully have only encountered one time. We stay on trail though. Its pretty heavily trafficked.

Good trail my 5yo and me being 7 months pregnant did it fine, while my 2yo walked the way back. he was carried on a toddler hiking backpack the way up. We did see one rattlesnake

Lovely on a cool morning. Easy walk with a few slopes.

Nice place to hike but I won't go again as a rattlesnake crossed the trail about 5 feet in front of me. Lots of areas with very tall grass and narrow paths with lots of places for those rattlers to be. I understand it is their home and I will leave it to them.

Good short hike for kids and all ages.

Easy afternoon hike

The trail itself is nice but as mentioned, it is pretty developed. A great picture at the keyhole is ruined by many homes behind it. I imagine it was a great view prior to that. Definitely a popular trail though, plenty of traffic. Easy enough.

Went hiking with a few friends! We go there early (8 am) to avoid the heat & (hopefully) snakes. We didn’t run into any snakes thankfully! I really enjoyed the cleanliness of the park, wildflowers, & beautiful views!

Great views! Great weather! Beautiful flowers. Really enjoyed the hike. Did not love all the residential.

Great place to hike and walk your dog, but I won't go there again until the fall. A couple of days ago, my dog was bitten by a rattlesnake. Fortunately, she will be fine. The rattlesnake was in the grass, not too far from the trail. I didn't even hear it rattling. If you do go there during the summer months, be extremely careful, but I wouldn't recommend walking one's dog there during the summer. Too bad, because it's such a beautiful place.

Beautiful place, but watch out for rattlesnakes.

A fun hike close to town, gets pretty hot in the summer though. Little shade.

Great running trail. Ran from devil's backbone to horsetooth reservoir. Lots of snakes so stay alert!

Scenic, not difficult. I added on the Laughing Horse Loop for a total hike of 6.2 miles.

Great place to ride as a beginner in the mountain bike world cant wait to get back.

Beautiful easy hiking trail. Lots of great views. Plenty of cactus around so be mindful.
Pretty far from Denver.

Come here frequently for my evening work outs, I love this trail, lots of wildlife and beautiful views and tonight I saw a MOUNTAIN LION!! This happened on the laughing horse section of the extended trail, I noticed a herd of deer running up and over the ridge and a few seconds later I saw the lion below crouching down and moving from bush to bush! Got my heart pumping but what an experience!

It had been a long time since I had been on this trail, and was sad to see that the surrounding area had been pretty heavily developed. The trail itself is still nice, but the view of mini-mansions was disappointing to say the least. If you are trying to get way from civilization for a few hours, this isn't your trail.

I love it

What a beautiful hike on Father’s Day with my kids it was. Awesome

Cloudy day. Still crowded. Overall it was a nice hike.

Great hike that close to where you live. Excellent for hikers, mountain bikes, dogs, kids, seniors, runners alike. I would highly re commend getting there either early or after 2pm because the parking lots fills up and the Park Rangers don't allow anybody else in when that happens. Great hike!!

I love this trail because it is easy to get to, available nearly year round and the views are beautiful. Standing in the keyhole overlooking the mountains is spectacular.

If you want to experience where the locals do their single-track trail-running, this is it. It’s about 7 miles RT if you take the trail until it drops into the blue sky section. Lots of rolling trail but with many sections of loose rock and polished slabs that take nimble footwork. Moderate hills are perfect for those looking to improve their uphill running as it doesn’t last too long or is super steep in any spot. Great place to make running a habit!

This was our first hike near the foothills of the Co. Rockies. What beautiful day for this trail; there only a handful people and the weather was perfect. The 'keyhole' is a nice feature along this easy hike. The trail has map location settings along route making it extremely easy to follow.

One of my favorite hikes.

Beautiful