Devil's Backbone Nature Trail

Devil's Backbone Nature Trail is a 4.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Loveland, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

An extension to the Devils Backbone Interpretive Trail. After a short but fairly steep up hill you will enter a rolling plateau that has some awesome views of the CO foothills with Longs Peak in the background. If you're quiet and observant you may see some deer along with other wildlife. For an area that is so close to civilization the quiet and solitude of this place is a nice respite. The views of the Devils Backbone from the summit gives a different view to this geological wonder.

This was a really pretty hike, a little windy the day I went. An elementary school field trip was arriving as I pulled in. I set off immediately with my dog to try and stay ahead of them but unfortunately wasn't able to spend much time at the Keyhole (which is beautiful, absolutely gorgeous) as they managed to catch up with us. I think I'll try this hike again next spring, I've been told the wildflowers that pop up along the hills are really pretty.

Nice trail, a bit narrow in some areas which made it challenging to hike with our kiddos and people wanting to pass. Everyone was very courteous which made up for the tight trail.

A very nice trail. I went on a Sunday afternoon and it was a little too crowded for my liking, so in the future I'd go earlier or on a weekday. Great family trail, dog and kid friendly.

There is a huge parking lot but I was lucky to find a spot. Although it was almost November, it was very warm and there was no shade. The geological features were amazing but the geological features underneath your hiking shoes were as interesting as the big rocks. If you plan to do this trail (and you should!), try to do it when it is not so hot as there is absolutely shade.
It is sad to see that you see many houses around this site.

I really enjoyed this trail with fantastic views of this unique geological feature, the surrounding foothills and the northern Front Range rising in the distance. I hiked the Wild Loop to the Overlook and Keyhole and then returned to the trailhead. I would have loved to extend it to the Hunter Loop and the view of the Devil's Backbone from an elevated perspective. But given the full schedule of my late July vacation, I had to be satisfied with this great section.

This is my morning stretcher before work because I am only a mile away, and am so thankful for it. I enjoy biking it through to Coyote Trail and back, too.

Great, easy hike to take in some Colorado scenery. Went on a cloudy day so the trails weren't busy at all. Will definitely go back!

This trail is comparable to a roller coaster or a go kart trail. It is windy, has small hills that instantly reward you with their decline, twists, and sharp turns. It is very fun even if you aren't an experienced rider. I highly recommend this trail for its beauty and charisma.