Devil's Backbone Nature Trail

Devil's Backbone Nature Trail is a 4.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Loveland, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Users have reported weather related closures of the trail. An extension to the Devils Backbone Interpretive Trail. After a short but fairly steep uphill you will enter a rolling plateau that has some awesome views of the CO foothills with Longs Peak in the background. If you're quiet and observant you may see some deer along with other wildlife. For an area that is so close to civilization the quiet and solitude of this place is a nice respite. The views of the Devils Backbone from the summit gives a different view to this geological wonder.

closed

Trail is closed due to conditions (probably recent weather). No info on the sign about when it's reopening.

Great trail with magnificent views. Tends to get busy on the weekends.

Easy hike. Well- traveled: saw many other hikers, dog walkers, also a mountain bike and a horse. Pretty views from higher up.

Great views all around. This is a great trail system for hiking, biking, and trail running. There are a number of trails that connect to this one and even an extended trail, too. Quite a few people, but it didn't feel crowded. Gates close at sunset, but it looks like there is a motion or weight-detector to let you out if you're locked in. I will be returning to hike the extended trail beyond this one.It's right on the edge of Loveland and easy to get to.

a lot of people and dogs out for a Friday at noon. Sun is shining. Parking lot near Lee. Trail all dry except the beginning where there are some trees. That part has some snow and ice. But beyond the trees is totally dry for the first Loop of this Trail

Moderate traffic for a Saturday, plenty of parking. Warm days mean this hike will be packed, and for good reason. Great views of the backbone and the Front Range. The keyhole is fun to check out, but my favorite part of my hike was passing by it and taking the Hunters Loop, such beautiful views of the entire backbone from a higher vantage point.

My wife and I hiked this today and you definitely have to watch for mountain bike riders and such, but the terrain was not difficult and is kid friendly as we saw a lot of other families out there today. The “Keyhole” is definitely worth checking out. All in all a good hike.

Great hike minimal parking. Try to go on a weekday, weekends are very packed. Easy To hard trails. Very beautiful. Bikers can be rude be aware.

Our family of six hiked to the Overlook & back today. Beautiful weather the day before Thanksgiving & landscape, but trails were a bit muddy and there’s some steep stairs. I made sure my kids got up alright, then tripped myself. Whoops! Trails were busy with people of all ages and lots of pups along the way!

Lovely trail! Heavily used but everyone we met was well behaved and respectful, including the dogs! Was a nice escape from the stresses of dealing with a mom and her dementia. Took my doggo and enjoyed a good leg stretch. Nicely maintained and clean! Lovely views!

One of my favorites when I feel like going on more than a walk but don't have time for a long hike.

I have hiked this 3 or 4 times now. A nice stretch of the legs, this out and back trail has some beautiful views. Go early, especially in warmer months, and avoid the crowds. Large parking lot accommodates large horse trailers for those lucky folks who have a horse lifestyle. Dogs on leash.

Good trail for all ages— 7 to 78 yr. We had lunch at the arch and rested on benches along the way. Very interesting rock formations and history was highlighted on story boards.

Fun. Fast. Flowy

Nice trail. Love it!

Fun hike! Good trails and some beautiful scenery up close and far away. Enjoyed the trail!

August 18, mountain bikes the trail with my 13 year old. We loved the trail, absolutely beautiful and fun. We are from Michigan so this was definitely different than what we are use too. It was a blast and I would recommend it to anyone.

Nice trail close to town with rocks and nature. Very enjoyable.

Love but be cautious of rattle snakes !

Great hike for all levels and ages of hikers. No shade. Be cautious of snakes. Hear they are there but in the numerous times I have been out there thankfully have only encountered one time. We stay on trail though. Its pretty heavily trafficked.

Good trail my 5yo and me being 7 months pregnant did it fine, while my 2yo walked the way back. he was carried on a toddler hiking backpack the way up. We did see one rattlesnake

Lovely on a cool morning. Easy walk with a few slopes.

Nice place to hike but I won't go again as a rattlesnake crossed the trail about 5 feet in front of me. Lots of areas with very tall grass and narrow paths with lots of places for those rattlers to be. I understand it is their home and I will leave it to them.

Good short hike for kids and all ages.

Easy afternoon hike

The trail itself is nice but as mentioned, it is pretty developed. A great picture at the keyhole is ruined by many homes behind it. I imagine it was a great view prior to that. Definitely a popular trail though, plenty of traffic. Easy enough.

Went hiking with a few friends! We go there early (8 am) to avoid the heat & (hopefully) snakes. We didn’t run into any snakes thankfully! I really enjoyed the cleanliness of the park, wildflowers, & beautiful views!