Mount Democrat, Mount Lincoln, and Mount Bross Loop

Mount Democrat, Mount Lincoln, and Mount Bross Loop is a 9.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Alma, Colorado that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

We started at 6:00 AM back down by noon on a Saturday. Had to park a little ways down from the lot but not too far. We started with Bross which was tough but I think it’s easier coming down the trail from Democrat with larger rocks than the scree on Bross. It had snowed the night before and was still frozen over when we summited Bross, I can imagine it was muddy coming down as the day wore on. This direction also made the Cameron summit feel very easy coming from Lincoln. There were a couple of guys that ran up behind us coming down Democrat with no warning, nearly knocking us over, with their headphones in. Don’t be those guys. It gets crowded so be courteous and aware of your surroundings.

Excellent bang for the buck. We decided to hike the loop backwards starting on mount Bross. Certainly glad we did. Started at 4 AM and finished right around 1130. 35° at the top with lots of wind and amazing views. Next time I’ll be sure to bring my hand warmers and gloves.

Great way to start off with a few 14ers. It was my fathers first time hiking , let alone a 14er so I was a little unsure on how it would turn out. We started out intended on just doing Bross but ended up going on to Lincoln and Cameron. (Not democrat) I’m glad we went up Bross first as it got a bit steep and loose and also coming down from Democrat seemed much easier to do. I got to a nice jog at times. We left the car at around 7 and were back at the car around 2 with ample amount of time at all three peaks. First time I touched snow in the middle of July!

And also what others said, there is a small fee to park close to kite lake. That could take an extra mile or two off the trip.

Great hike! Be sure to start early (5 a.m. or so) to beat afternoon weather. We got hit by some freezing rain late morning and had to descend.

Note about the route: The loop is NOT 9.7 miles if you have a four-wheel or all-wheel drive vehicle and drive it to the top of the access road. There is a fee to park for the day next to Kite Lake, but it makes the loop substantially shorter than on this map by taking away that southern stem to the start and finish.

Beautiful! But I would highly recommend coming down Bross with poles. Lots of loose scree.

And I would definitely recommend against bringing your dog. Too many sharp/loose rocks coming down Bross.

The Mount Democrat hike is really crowded. Tons of people and dogs marching up together. It gets crazy when crowds going in both directions are attempting to navigate the narrow, loose path. Lovely views from all peaks and the area between Cameron and Lincoln looks like Mars. But the worst part of the day by far is heading down from Bross. Super steep, loose scree for much of the way down.

Monday, August 07, 2017

Amazing hike and a great way to bag 4 14ers in one day. Took me about 5-6 hrs to do the full loop this morning. Lots of nice people all over the trail, so I felt fine doing it by myself. Coming down Bross was super sketch at times with parts where you're sliding down steep, loose, rocky slopes.
Otherwise, fabulous hike!!!

Sunday, July 16, 2017

4 14ers in one go - you can't pass this up! Once you've climbed Cameron, you'll understand it is ITS own 14er!! Coming down Bross is hairy, but who doesn't like a challenge?! It took us 8 hours to do the entire loop, and it is crazy crowded, so he sure to start early!

Tuesday, August 08, 2017