Deluge Lake Trail

Deluge Lake Trail is a 9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Vail, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Really steep off the bat, we were able to get about 2-2.5 miles in before everything was covered in snow...turned back at 3 miles as we were sinking deep into snow with every step and having trouble following the trail. Caught some beautiful views on the way up but even without the snow, I think there are better hikes in Colorado so probably won't be back to try this again. Went on 6-3-2017.

Beautiful views.

One of the most beautiful hikes I've ever done! Amazing views along the entire way! We kept up a good pace and finished in 5.5 hours round trip.

Great hike.. Don't let the app fool ya the trail is a solid 5 miles in of steep grades.. Worth the struggle thoughts awesome views of my holy cross, grays peak, and Torres!

This trail was not a good choice for our first hike arriving in Colorado from Texas. The goal was the lake and we didn't make it. The elevation effected my husband and we decided to come back down. Maybe another day. Upside the weather was great and views along the way were beautiful.

Up. Up. Up. More up. Then up.

The last 1/4 is especially spectacular.

fantastic trail offering all you want from mother nature, demand of all your body , scenic views all the way up, over and best reward at the end,the lake nestled at the foot of the walls. yes a demanding hike ,well worth every step.

Sensory overload. Trailhead parking lot was packed on a Wednesday morning when I finished around 10 a.m. Definitely a great hike with lots of wildflowers and wildlife. Only took me 4 hours to finish the entire trail, while taking lots of breaks along the way up and pictures along the way down. The trail is tough but once you're done the switchbacks and are actually up in the pine forest, its a breeze to get to the lake.

Thursday, September 10, 2015

Pretty steep about 2/3 of the hike (3 miles). Nice vistas all along but the lake itself was a little disappointing. It's above tree line, so barren, and I saw no fish along the shoreline. Of all the trails I've hiked to lakes this was the most work for the least reward. Good workout, though.

Monday, August 24, 2015

Tough and longer then expected. Wonderful flowers in meadows the whole way. Worth getting to the lake at the end

Monday, July 20, 2015

This hike is absolutely beautiful during the entire climb. However, the first time
I did this hike I thought it felt longer than what the forest service said it was (3.8 one way.) So this time I wore a mileage and elevation counter. I wear it now for most hikes and it's usually accurate. It reported 10.6 miles round trip and 3400 in elevation gain. I did hike over to the cabin, which probably added about a mile to this number, but even still, it's longer than what it claims to be.

Monday, June 15, 2015

Consistently beautiful and challenging trail. Hiked in early June and snow at the top of the mountain made it hard to stay on the trail. Will do again for sure.

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Difficult Hike. Fairly steep 1/2 half of the hike. 2nd half can be fairly muddy with lots of little stream crossings. This hike has a couple good photo opportunities along the way. Mostly hiking through a beautiful forest until you get above tree line for the final push. US Forest service has it listed as 7.6 miles round trip. Definitely feels more the the 9.1 miles listed by other sources. Worth doing, but the steepness you start the hike with gets the knees pretty good at the end. Bring poles, take breaks, and have fun.

Saturday, August 02, 2014

This hike gains over 3000 feet in 8 miles. Steep and relentless at times, but stunning views from the lake of Mount Holy Cross and the Sawatch Range. Be prepared for this hike -- trekking poles are highly recommended for the descent. Start early, as afternoon showers are common. Wild flowers were abundant in mid July.