Deluge Lake Trail

Deluge Lake Trail is a 9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Vail, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Takes about an hour to get completely out of the vicinity of the freeway. Beyond that is amazing. Quite steep and rigorous through the first 1/3 of the hike (2000 of the 3000 ascending feet are covered in the first 1.5 miles). The last 2/3 is considerably easier on the body with breathtaking views of peaks to the right and beautiful forest to the left. Once you follow the stream it opens up to fields of wildflowers and amazing close ups of the near approaching peaks surrounding the lake. We did this in August and the wildflowers following the stream are beautiful. The lake and the view back after reaching the top is incredible. Your echo will reach miles. Bring plenty of water. 4 liters for two was a bit short. I would recommend 3 liters per person.

First few miles are above I-70 and kind of sucks, but then the last couple of miles are absolutely stunning high alpine goodness.

My first hike - yea...it's hard. It's gorgeous at the top, of course, and you get a full range of terrain. Don't know that I would do it again just to go it and experience other trails. My more-experienced roommate said it was in her top 5 most difficult trails of this summer and last (sans 14-ers).

Really steep off the bat, we were able to get about 2-2.5 miles in before everything was covered in snow...turned back at 3 miles as we were sinking deep into snow with every step and having trouble following the trail. Caught some beautiful views on the way up but even without the snow, I think there are better hikes in Colorado so probably won't be back to try this again. Went on 6-3-2017.

Beautiful views.

One of the most beautiful hikes I've ever done! Amazing views along the entire way! We kept up a good pace and finished in 5.5 hours round trip.

Great hike.. Don't let the app fool ya the trail is a solid 5 miles in of steep grades.. Worth the struggle thoughts awesome views of my holy cross, grays peak, and Torres!