Deluge Lake Trail

Deluge Lake Trail is a 9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Vail, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

I hiked almost to the lake with a friend today. I say almost because we lost the trail somewhere within a mile of the lake, and decided not to risk bushwhacking.

Conditions at the start of the trail were mostly dry with a few patches of snow. Mostly dry over the steeper middle section. Towards the top of the steep part things transitioned over to snow, which was about 6 inches at the deepest.

Like I said, we lost the trail before getting to the lake. We were following someone else's snowshoe trail, but eventually it got powdery enough that we could no longer find it. We pushed on a little to see if it cleared out, but ultimately decided to turn around and try again another time. It seems like we strayed a bit too far to the north-west.

So, if you see some tracks, and you find they don't lead you to the lake, sorry! :)

Overall, great hike. Almost all of the reviews here seem to indicate this is a very difficult hike, but it didn't seem any different than Gore Lake, or Booth Lake, or the other hikes in this area. The "steep" part wasn't very steep, it was just a long stretch of uphill.

We brought microspikes but didn't need them. We didn't bring snowshoes, but wouldn't have used them even if we had.

This is a tough hike. My GPS said 9.9 miles round trip and 3100 feet of elevation. We’ve hiked Quandary, Gray and Torrey, and Sherman in the past month and this is every bit as strenuous. First 2 miles are straight climbing. Then it flattens out until the last 3/4 mile (more climb to the lake). Some snow, but not bad. Awesome views and worth the effort.

it's awesome. it's tough

We accidentally ended up on this trail, it was beautiful!!

Takes about an hour to get completely out of the vicinity of the freeway. Beyond that is amazing. Quite steep and rigorous through the first 1/3 of the hike (2000 of the 3000 ascending feet are covered in the first 1.5 miles). The last 2/3 is considerably easier on the body with breathtaking views of peaks to the right and beautiful forest to the left. Once you follow the stream it opens up to fields of wildflowers and amazing close ups of the near approaching peaks surrounding the lake. We did this in August and the wildflowers following the stream are beautiful. The lake and the view back after reaching the top is incredible. Your echo will reach miles. Bring plenty of water. 4 liters for two was a bit short. I would recommend 3 liters per person.

First few miles are above I-70 and kind of sucks, but then the last couple of miles are absolutely stunning high alpine goodness.

My first hike - yea...it's hard. It's gorgeous at the top, of course, and you get a full range of terrain. Don't know that I would do it again just to go it and experience other trails. My more-experienced roommate said it was in her top 5 most difficult trails of this summer and last (sans 14-ers).