Deer Mountain Trail

Deer Mountain Trail is a 5.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is best used from April until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Deer Mountain Trail is a great hike to Deer Mountain Peak that offers panoramic views from the top. The trail can be accessed at the Deer Mountain Trailhead off of Trail Ridge Road. The trail starts off in a valley and soon enters a steep forested area, dominated by species such as ponderosa pine. Once you enter the forested area, the trail has many switchbacks that ease into the elevation change. The trail is easy to follow until the last half mile or so. Finding the summit requires a steep little jaunt up to the top. Once at the Deer Mountain summit, you are rewarded with gorgeous views of Longs Peak, Moraine Park, Upper Beaver Meadows, and Estes Park. This is one of the many popular hiking trails in Rocky Mountain National park and there is limited parking in the parking area. It is advised to get there early to secure a parking spot. Many people on this trail underestimate it - make sure to bring plenty of water and hiking boots!

Nice winter hike. A good climb and beautiful views. For pics and more details: https://etbtravelphotography.com/2018/01/02/roadtrip-to-the-rockies-deer-mountain-trail/

Amazing beginner winter hike with gorgeous views along the way. There were a few icy patches making trek poles or ice trekkers useful but not necessary. Other than that a great day hike trail.

It gets really snowy at the top, but we actually couldn’t find the summit unfortunately but the hike was beautiful and I totally recommend it! Prepare for 2-3.5 hours of hiking.

Pleasant hike with a steady, but not too bad, incline. Hard packed snow throughout most of the hike, some kind of traction would have been helpful but not required. I just had old worn out, non waterproof hiking shoes and I made it to the top just fine. The views at the top are awesome!

Beautiful day! Hiked 1/16/18. Some hard packed snow. Slipped once on the way back down. Great hike, beautiful views. I have a pair of micro-spikes, but didn't wear them, thus my slipping on the way down. Poles should be ok, or some kind of traction. Just take it easy.

We loved this trail and recommend it highly. Current conditions as of Jan 8: mix of snow, ice, and dirt for the first 1.5 miles. Relatively continuous hard-packed snow for the last 1.5 miles. I used YakTrax the entire time; partner had spikes. We appreciated both. Trail is well worn in by bootpack and therefore easy to follow. When you're within about .75 miles of the summit, you'll start descending. A sign marks the right turn (and ascent) to the summit for the last .1 miles or so.

We arrived around 9:20 on a Monday and were the second car (there's street parking). Saw only one person on the way up. A few more parties on the descent. Wind was very calm today, but be sure to check the forecast.

Got to the trailhead around 9:30am. Only 2 other cars at the trailhead. First part of trail before switchback was off and on icy and dry dirt. Pretty icy going up the rest of the way, would highly recommend traction devices. Not too windy up at top, but a panorama view of several mountains, lakes and town of Estes Park. You can even see your own car from the top! 10/10 would recommend.

Great hike! We went New Year's Eve morningwith poles and microspikes. It was awesome with very few people. Pretty easy walkin' with great overlooks and lovely forest patches.

We enjoyed this trail. Wore micro spikes with light snow pack all the way to the summit. Took a little over 3 hours to complete. Good views of surrounding peaks and the town of Estes.

We just hiked this trail and it took us about 3 hours to complete. There was ice starting about half way up. Although we made it up without them, we wished we would have had either poles or micro spikes. Definitely worth the hike!

First trail I’ve ever hiked. Took me little over two and a half hours to hike up there and back down. That excludes the time I took to relax at the peak and take pictures. The north face of the mountain has hard packed snow and ice, so be careful. I had crampons with me but I was too stubborn to put them on. Gorgeous views throughout the hike. I’d do it again.

Great views the whole way up. Some hard pack snow in wooded areas but fine with joking boots.

Awesome trail. Wish I had not lost my silver Patagonia down vest on it. If you find it, please call me 770-597-3711. I'll give you an award for being an awesome person.

So beautiful at the top.....

We joined the trail from the cabins on Fall River road. It was clearly marked once we climbed the steep incline up to ridge. The trail itself was clear despite the snow on it, which made walking it harder I suppose. However views were amazing. There were 21 switchbacks going up the side of the mountain which made it easier. However once we had finished these the trail appeared to fizzle out and although we tracked out in several directions we could not find an obvious route, it was very snowy up there,and due to time constraints (we did not want to be still coming down trail in twilight)we made our way back down before reaching the actual summit! Still had fabulous views and came into close proximity to deer on 5 occasions! And a chipmunk!! Great stuff!

Great day hike just a little bit in from the Estes Park entrance of RMNP. The incline isn't too bad at all, just enough to get your heart going! The trail flatness out and even descends a bit before making the final push to the summit. The top makes a great spot to stop for lunch and enjoy the views. Longs peak is your neighbor up there and you can also see Estes park and the reservoir. The whole hike took us about 3 hours.

Amazing views throughout! Moderate hike uphill. Active elk in area.

This is the first mountain I’ve ever hiked and I loved it!