My girlfriend and I (29 and 31) snowshoed this trail on 1/25. We had no problems with our dog off-leash (pick up after your dog of course). In order to get there, just drive to Montezuma and then keep going until it dead ends into a plowed snowy parking lot that says not to drive any further. Park there.

I’d consider this a beginner snowshoeing trail for someone who is fairly active. We started it in yaktraks and is doable that way, but once we put our snowshoes on, it was much easier. Follow the snowmobile tracks up what essentially looks like a very scenic road. Eventually, it dead ends and you will see a sign that says “5” and points to the left (2 miles in, uphill). At that point, the deer creek trail goes left and becomes singletrack and you will be breaking new snow. I’d recommend poles and snowshoes if you’re going to go beyond that point.

We opted to go right and sit on two makeshift tree stump chairs to drink hot chocolate in a field with a pano view of the mountain walls of the bowl you’ll find yourself in. It’s worth a detour to this point, even if you’re going to continue up the trail. It isn’t far from the split.

Happy Hiking,