Deer Creek, Glacier Mountain, and Saints John OHV Loop

Deer Creek, Glacier Mountain, and Saints John OHV Loop is a 13.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Dillon, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, scenic driving, and off road driving and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 13.1 miles Elevation Gain: 3,001 feet Route Type: Loop

scenic driving

ohv / off road driving

Incredible scenery, historic buildings and steep challenges. Outstanding loop route that has it all: stunning scenery, historic buildings and real adventure. Connects to several other great trails. Fun area for ATVs, UTVs and dirt bikes with parking at Point #2. Recommend side trip to top of Radical Hill. Mountain goats are often seen here. Located in White River National Forest. For current conditions call Dillon Ranger District (970) 468-5400 Extremely steep and intimidating in spots. Experienced drivers in aggressive stock SUVs can do it. Low-range gearing is required. Not recommended for novice drivers. If hiked, this trail would be rated difficult. Note: This route may be closed due to snowfall or spring runoff.

ohv/off road driving

I bought my first 2019 jeep wrangler jl sport 2 weeks ago and have nothing done to it and as far as extras. it made this trail with very minimal scraping and no issues navigating this trail even though most of the decent was after dark. my family really enjoyed it. highly recommended. we even got snowed on when we got to the top.

Great trail, went all the way to the top of Saints John and down Deer creek. Definitely need 4x4. The views are spectacular. A+ Trail. Definitely hit the skid plate on a Tacoma going down some of the hills.

ohv/off road driving

Really enjoyed this trail going up. Finished on Saint John’s. Would highly recommend starting on Saint John’s & finishing with Deer Creek.

Stunning views. You get above tree line quickly. I only give this three stars because it IS a dirt road, not a trail. Very popular with off-roaders, so not very fun to run/hike anytime after 10a as you are stepping to the side to avoid getting run over the whole time. I ran this pretty early though and got about halfway before drivers started going up. Around Teller Mountain there was a very large herd of goats with many babies. A few of the adolescent bucks were brave and stood their ground as I walked around them. Eventually, the herd took off down the hill, but as I was sitting and taking a break on top of Teller, a solo Buck came up over the ridge and was very curious about my dog and I. When I stood up he put his ears back and showed signs of aggression and continued to slowly walk toward any direction I headed in. Not sure if he was just curious, or if he was planning on pushing me off the hill, but I didn't stay to find out. If you have a dog(s) make sure they are on a leash in this area! I don't think the goats will necessarily be scared of your pup and there's a chance of your pet getting injured.

ohv/off road driving

We came from the deer creek side which had some rocky parts but nothing to terrible. However, once we reached the end of that trail things got substantially more difficult some very steep and rocky climbs. This trail was very rocky. But near the top a herd of mountain goats blocked the path for a moment. Which was very cool. The trail is hard but well worth it.

ohv/off road driving

We went up this train on July 21 and it was clear and fantastic. We saw some mountain goats in 2 places along with some baby mountain goats in one location. We had a few vehicles up there but nothing that was too terrible. We took the trail to Deer Creek and then took the North Fork trail to get to Breckenridge. I would recommend oversize tires and a locker in one or both axles is always handy.

This loop trail was perfect! Tons of amazing views and a little bit of suspense on the long steep slope. Our keeps made it up just fine though. We even saw a moose! There was some snow on one part of the trail but the jeeps made it through no problem. 10/10

ohv/off road driving

Excellent trail until we reached the half way point. Encountered 20 inches of snow covering 75 yards of the trail. We saw some tracks off-trail but decided not to do that. There were no active tracks across the snow. That said, there was a group of ATVs trying to cross the snow. They were half way across (using a winch). We decided to go back the way we came. Still a great experience. Rode in a group with 2 Jeep wranglers and a Toyota 4 Runner.

ohv/off road driving

Excellent trail! We did it in a stock Rubicon no trouble on 7/13/2019. The views are on par with everything at 13,000 feet... spectacular! We actually got to see a single mountain goat near the summit! The road is fairly trafficked. We saw plenty of campers, several hikers on the trail, a few Razors on their way down, and one vehicle pass situation. We’ll definitely be back!

4/28/19 Still impassible in a vehicle due to heavy snow and it was hard to find legal parking. Great for snowshoeing though!

Spectacular views

Mon Oct 29 2018

Hiked this in spikes on 10.21.18. Great workout and spectacular views from the top. A hidden gem that isn’t heavily trafficked in off season.

Sun Sep 23 2018

Such cool trails. Amazing views, nothing super technical but good all around. I'll just let the videos speak for themselves. Deer Creek: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkfK8vjcinQ Saints John: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEwIakZ1ChY 2nd gen Xterra, 33" tires, 2" lift, no sway bars

Sun Sep 16 2018

Great trail for the views, and the off road challenges. In my side by side the Webster pass road was a lot of fun. Radical hill and Red Cone , not for the faint of heart or un skilled drivers. Had fantastic day and only had time for half the trails in the area will definitely return again and again.

Wed Jul 25 2018

Amazing views and great stops for lunch!

Wed Jul 25 2018

Views were simply amazing! Makes for a great loop. Not congested. Very few truly technical spots.

Wed Jul 25 2018

We took the Rubicon here. What a beautiful place! I must admit there are some areas where lockers are needed so be prepared for that.

Sun Jul 22 2018

A nice trail with a 4x4. Not too difficult. Take the upper left to the top of Radical Hill. Usually a few goats up there. Then backtrack and take Saints John back to Montezuma or just go back via Deer Creek.

Thu Oct 05 2017

Impassible snow as of 9/30

Mon Aug 21 2017

Awesome trail, perfect challenge for my almost stock 4Runner! Views were breathtaking!

Thu Aug 03 2017

Awesome Trail, a few creeks and great views.

Tue Jul 25 2017

a lot of fun

Mon Jul 24 2017

Great moderate trail, so many side trails you can get lost in on for a whole day. Some parts were a little sketchy on the switchbacks for novice drivers and coming down the backside there were some steep decents.

Wed Jul 19 2017

Absolutely beautiful

Tue Jun 20 2017

Still snowpacked as of Sunday 6-18. The gate is still locked on the west side. Probably until the runoff slows a little bit. Most roads were full of water.