Deadhorse Creek

Deadhorse Creek is a 7.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Winter Park, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from December until January. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,414 feet Route Type: Loop

Offline map is recommended. Users have reported that the trails are not marked well.

It was a brutal uphill climb, but beautiful views. We went in early January, and we saw a moose about 50ft away. We backed up and found an alternate path to the parking lot. Driving home, we saw her male companion. We are so glad we left - they were huge! I uploaded his picture; I didn't stick around to get hers.

An easy walk up a forested fire road, a little side trip to a view, and a walk down to the trail head, only 1 tree across the path, saw zero people until almost the end! The blue diamonds on the trees really helped, as I had sketchy cel reception and there were some spurs leading off the main trail that could be misleading. Almost did miss the turn to the downward part of Deadhorse; the cairn is pretty low. Recorded 8 miles, steady incline for the first 4.5, a good workout plus I could let my dog off leash (did leash him on Tipperary for bikes, though we didn’t see any). First car at TH 7:15 am Sun Oct 6, back at car 10:30 ish.

This is a great 7.1 mile loop. Or at any point you can do an out and back. Not an overly busy trail which is great! We had our dog with us, we did end up leashing her on the Tipperary trail part that mixes in with mountain bikers. Be prepared for a long steady climb if you start out on the non Tipperary side, at the top keep an eye out for the blue trail markers to continue the trail (there’s even a pile of rocks with what was a blue marker).

first part is on road and then it switches to a right trail. turn left when the trail turns sharp right at top just to see a beautiful view before getting back on trail.

Regularly hike this trail. Except for the mountain bikers in a portion, it is a lovely, quiet hike that takes you to a wonderful view of Byers and Bills peaks.

This is a lovely trail but is terribly marked. If you want to do the loop from deadhorse to spruce/tipperary creek, I highly recommend you take a photo of the map at the trailhead entrance to deadhorse trail. Then, use a gps app like strava to track yourself and follow the trail. There were at least three times I could have easily gone the wrong way without that. The first is close to the start of the trail, you will see a blue diamond on the left and a brown trail sign on the right, go to the right and follow that sign. The second was about 3ish miles in, you will see a water treatment/solar panel on the hill to the right if you look up and to your right. At that junction, go right. The final was turning off of deadhorse and onto Tipperary, there is no sign (no idea why!?) but there is a blue diamond with an arrow on the right at 4.9 miles (from the start) on tree next to a path so again, if you’re tracking your miles you will know to look for it and head down that trail. You follow that then come to a gate and it’s more obvious that time- you just go down spruce creek trail. That trail takes you back to the road close to where you parked in about 2ish more miles. My app said it was closer to 8 miles total. Pretty wildflowers, plenty of nice streams and water, aspens and nice views!

good day hike. agreed with earlier comments in regardd to the trail markings at the top of the trail.I made 2 wrong turns before finding my way. Thank god for alltrails which lead me to the magical secret entrance of Narnia so I could head back down. also I was 5.5 miles in before I saw another person, which I liked.

Tue Jan 22 2019

This trail is well used and wide with a long and steady climb (about 3-4 miles) of about 1200-1400 feet before you start going back down. The entire loop is about 7 miles. I did it on 01/21/19 (not sure why this site doesn't allow me to change the date) on a cloudy and somewhat snowy day. Saw one person early on and 4 more later towards the end. The trail is mostly in the woods but there are a few nice views of the Indian Peaks and the Continental Divide. I did it as a loop starting on the Deadhorse Creek trail and coming back on the Spruce Creek trail which is also known as the Tipperary Creek trail. The signage is poor but there is little, if any, room for error because there are blue diamond marks on the trees so you know you are on the right track. Towards the end of the loop, there is a fork (marked only by a blue diamond sign on a tree). Take the trail on the right to go back to the Deadhorse Creek trailhead but it isn't a big deal if you make a mistake and continue straight to the Tipperary Creek trailhead. They are both very close and within eyesight of each other.

Thu Oct 18 2018

we hiked this Trail on 10/16. we used icetrekkers and Gators. probably about 2/3 of it covered in snow but definitely portions of dirt. amazing views. keep an eye out for blue markers to help you find your way.

Fri Jun 29 2018

This trail is a good for a short day hike. The views were nice and diverse. If you decide to hike the trail, beware that the trail marking is not that great. At the high point there are no markings telling you which way to go. There was only a pile of rocks. Lastly, on the way down, there are about a dozen trees blocking the path.

Thu Jun 07 2018

Very very difficult trail on a mountain bike. Both my dog and I are pretty confident in our trail-climbing abilities and it was rough on both of us.

Fri Jun 01 2018

Be sure to take a good map and a compass, might help. My friends just went up there and I was going to meet them where Dead horse connects to Tipperary, at the gate, well they got turned around. Pay attention there are multiple trails/old roads going off of Dead Horse. They ended up hiking about 10 miles, ugh, glad I went the biking route. Track where you are, you are hiking through mostly trees, so visual land marks are not something one can rely on. Compass,compass, no matter where you are at. PS. I had a great ride up Tipperary to the gate where you come out off of Dead horse For us getting older people, the down hill is a bit hard on the knees, biking up may be hard and you may have to push your bike up in spots, but the ride down is easy on the old body. Be aware on the winding days, still a lot of dead fall standing. Bush Wacker

Sat Apr 21 2018

Really pretty trail with fresh powder in late April, but like much of experimental forest maps are not updated. Did what others have done and missed loop, just climbed up a steep road for 3.5 on skis, then came down.

Tue May 23 2017

Just a "ditto" on Mr. Whyte's comment below: we thought we were doing an Easy rated, 4.6 mile loop when instead we hiked/sloshed pretty sharply upward for over 3 1/2 miles. One stronger, faster member of our group went ahead to figure out where the "loop" started descending. She called to say it just continued to ascend and the snow was deeper and no end to the ascending in sight. We turned around and hiked back to the trailhead. Didn't really see any alternatives, however, to a different, shorter, loop hike. Also, the hike offered little in the way of views...just pine trees. Still great to be out on the trail, though.

Tue Aug 09 2016

Make sure you don't mix up deadhorse loop with this looong trail that doesn't really lead anywhere and the views are meager at best. Deadhorse loop is a quick, short loop mostly along a meandering creek (pretty cool). Deadhorse trail is when you don't hang a right off the access road (loop starts about 100yds from parking), and continue on the make-shift road/trail. It essentially just ends after several switchbacks along a creek, way up into the middle of nowhere (unless I zigged when I shoulda zagged). On my way back down, about a mile and a half from the trailhead I encountered a couple asking "is this trail supposed to loop around somewhere?"--they missed the loop turnoff as well..

Sun May 10 2015