Deadhorse Creek

Deadhorse Creek is a 7.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Winter Park, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from December until January. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Very very difficult trail on a mountain bike. Both my dog and I are pretty confident in our trail-climbing abilities and it was rough on both of us.

Be sure to take a good map and a compass, might help. My friends just went up there and I was going to meet them where Dead horse connects to Tipperary, at the gate, well they got turned around.
Pay attention there are multiple trails/old roads going off of Dead Horse.
They ended up hiking about 10 miles, ugh, glad I went the biking route.
Track where you are, you are hiking through mostly trees, so visual land marks are not something one can rely on. Compass,compass, no matter where you are at.
PS. I had a great ride up Tipperary to the gate where you come out off of Dead horse
For us getting older people, the down hill is a bit hard on the knees, biking up may be hard and you may have to push your bike up in spots, but the ride down is easy on the old body. Be aware on the winding days, still a lot of dead fall standing.
Bush Wacker

Really pretty trail with fresh powder in late April, but like much of experimental forest maps are not updated. Did what others have done and missed loop, just climbed up a steep road for 3.5 on skis, then came down.

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Just a "ditto" on Mr. Whyte's comment below: we thought we were doing an Easy rated, 4.6 mile loop when instead we hiked/sloshed pretty sharply upward for over 3 1/2 miles. One stronger, faster member of our group went ahead to figure out where the "loop" started descending. She called to say it just continued to ascend and the snow was deeper and no end to the ascending in sight. We turned around and hiked back to the trailhead. Didn't really see any alternatives, however, to a different, shorter, loop hike.
Also, the hike offered little in the way of views...just pine trees. Still great to be out on the trail, though.

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Make sure you don't mix up deadhorse loop with this looong trail that doesn't really lead anywhere and the views are meager at best. Deadhorse loop is a quick, short loop mostly along a meandering creek (pretty cool). Deadhorse trail is when you don't hang a right off the access road (loop starts about 100yds from parking), and continue on the make-shift road/trail. It essentially just ends after several switchbacks along a creek, way up into the middle of nowhere (unless I zigged when I shoulda zagged). On my way back down, about a mile and a half from the trailhead I encountered a couple asking "is this trail supposed to loop around somewhere?"--they missed the loop turnoff as well..

Sunday, May 10, 2015