Dawson Butte Ranch Open Space Trail

Dawson Butte Ranch Open Space Trail is a 4.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Larkspur, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A great little hike to get your blood pumping. Trails are still snow packed and muddy in exposed areas. Nothing too bad anywhere. Several areas to stop and enjoy a sandwich or granola bar with a view.

Dog owners seemed relaxed; responsibly leashing dogs when near other folks.

3 stars for hiking, maybe 5 for horseback. It is a very nice trail, just not appropriate for hiking. Best for Horseback, trail running, or taking the kids for a stroll. Very crowded

Nice walk. Fair amount of horses, bikes and dogs. Everyone was pleasant. Bring lots of water for the dogs. They can get pretty thirsty. Temps were in the low 70s with lots of sunshine. Great hike for someone just getting back into hiking or just getting started.

This easy trail has very little elevation change and almost no rocks on the trail itself making it an easy hiking. Throughout this trail you will hike through well shaded Pine forests and sun drenched open spaces. Trail 360 on YouTube

Nice easy trail, I like running this on a recovery day or to loosen up during your tapering time before a race.

Great winding trail through the meadows and the trees, the open area's can roast on a hot day. A little smelly from the horse traffic but not unbearable. And me and my friends GPS tracking apps wouldn't agree that it's the posted 4.99mi trail...closer to 5.5mi.

Great trail hiking loop with my 8 year old son. The trail itself was pretty sandy in some stretches or I would have given it 5 stars. There are some elevation sections, but nothing beyond an EASY rating. Over half of the loop is in the woods and brush for shade.

this is one of my favorite trails because of it's layout and variety of terrains but is way overused by horses. just so much horseshit.

Did this hike a couple years ago. it's ok with no difficulty at all. trail meanders through the woods and remains very flat. no access to the butte at all and you are competing with horses most of the way. not a great place for kids.

Our first hike after a long break. This trail walks you down into the valley and up. It was a steep haul up on our way back. Maybe best to start on the SE side, that is steeper and hike up the less steep NW side on the way back.

Hiked on a snowy and muddy spring day with the dogs. Pretty views, mellow outing.

Thursday, December 29, 2016

Trail report 12/28/16: Snow, ice, water, mud in some of the shady spots on the trail, but mostly dry. I liked this loop a lot. It's ideal for people who like to wander, meander and roam. If you seek elevation gain, you will likely be disappointed. It's a nice blend of meadows and Ponderosa pine forest. Some of the trees are very old. I went midweek, so, not a lot of folks on the trail. I saw 2 equestrians, 2 trail bikers and 2 trail runners over the 5 mile loop. I hiked it solo, which felt safe and comfortable, but there are big kitties out there- glad I had my bells on. Overall, a very relaxing hike. I also liked that they have off shoot trails for horseback riding which include some cross country horse jumps. Looks like fun!

Friday, October 21, 2016

Had a great ride here today. Stunning scenery and fun, fast singletrack. Just watch out for the horse *^$#!

Sunday, October 09, 2016

Beautiful loop.

Sunday, October 02, 2016

This trail was fantastic, especially good for trail running due to the flatness and fairly stable surface. It had beautiful fall color low level trees and bushes in addition to pine forest and open Mesa. Several great views of the butte emerge as the trail meanders through one beautiful setting after another.

Saturday, May 28, 2016

Fairly easy trail but it had recently been flooded which required a detour. The detour was poorly marked and took us back to where the detour started. We took the access road our which put a damper on the hike. Normally, I think it would be better.

Sunday, April 10, 2016

loved this trail! love thar it was a loop. love that it was rugged but not too difficult. loved the varied terrain. loved the view. do note that there are many horses.

Saturday, March 12, 2016

Very enjoyable hike!

Saturday, March 12, 2016

Great hike around sunset, with awesome views of Pike's Peak and Devil's Head. From wide open meadows, to forest areas, this trail has it all! Unfortunately I only made it about half way and had to turn around and go back the way I came, as it was getting dark. But I'll definitely be back during the daytime to do the entire loop!

Monday, December 28, 2015

Perfect for an everyday hike.