Dawson Butte Ranch Open Space Trail is a 4.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Larkspur, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great walk in the woods, lots of fun with many places to stop and take pictures. Several benches and a few picnic tables. Open to horses so lots of "road apples" on the trail.

Great trail. Moderately traveled with lots of horseback riding. Absolutely beautiful views and landscapes.

Go either direction, you won’t get lost. Watch for horses and their droppings. It has many sandy areas, appropriate shoes are helpful

Great combination of open field and shade from the trees. Path was well marked and the sand was good for the dogs. Not busy at all Sunday afternoon. Great easy trail.

This was a great hike with versatile scenery. You had meadows, mountain views, walking in the woods, open area. We saw wild turkey. It wasn’t difficult nor too easy to hike. There were log benches scattered on the trail and easy signs to follow. Yes there is horse poop along the trails but just step aside. We went on a Sunday midday and there were people but not crowded. We plan to make this a regular one.

Enjoyable and beautiful location! A great option for someone new to trail running! The trail is narrow and has a couple sharper turns; I did see a couple biking and could imagine it's not a good spot for mountain bikers who don't want to take it slow. Ultimately a place I look forward to visiting again!

This has been our favorite trail so far. We hiked the entire path with our dog and sons (ages 7 & 9). The scenery was beautiful and the path was perfect. It wasn’t too hilly and very doable for kids. When you hit the split path sign, I definitely recommend taking the Stairway to Heaven. It added a little bit of distance but it was well worth the extra effort. Everything was very well-marked and there weren’t too many other people. Oh, but you do need to watch out for horse poop. We will definitely be returning to this trail.

Nice Trail. Signs were very easy to follow.

Beautiful and close to the south Denver Metro. The trail is very well maintained. Minimal elevation change. I would call this a nice longer (5 mile loop) walk before I would call it a hike. As a non-mountain biker, it looked like it would be a lot of fun to bring a bike to. Also very horse friendly. There are benches and picnic tables all along the trail. Nice place for a picnic but no challenge for a hiker.

Very nice hike, lots of beautiful scenery to take in! One minute you're walking in an open field, then the next you're surrounded by trees. Very peaceful. There were alot of horses to share the trail with, but the riders were very respectful to us, slowing down so not as must dust/dirt blew up by us. I would definetly recommend this trail to anyone looking for a relatively easy hike.

Loved it! Beautiful, varied terrain. We even saw a coyote! Trail sign indicates 5 miles, my gps said 6, so I’m going with 5 1/2.

Nice trail. No real challenges. It was a bit dusty/sandy with portions of the trail feeling like you’re walking on a beach. Pretty views and nice tree shade for about 3/4 of it.

Did this trail a week ago for the first time and enjoyed it. Very relaxing and scenic

A pretty nice walk through meadows and forest. No snow or mud. Just sandy trails. A great way to wear out the pups!

Great trails, nice views. Good balance of hills and flats, woodlands and Meadows. Saw a couple elk and few deer. Very few people for a Saturday afternoon.

A great little hike to get your blood pumping. Trails are still snow packed and muddy in exposed areas. Nothing too bad anywhere. Several areas to stop and enjoy a sandwich or granola bar with a view.

Dog owners seemed relaxed; responsibly leashing dogs when near other folks.

3 stars for hiking, maybe 5 for horseback. It is a very nice trail, just not appropriate for hiking. Best for Horseback, trail running, or taking the kids for a stroll. Very crowded

Nice walk. Fair amount of horses, bikes and dogs. Everyone was pleasant. Bring lots of water for the dogs. They can get pretty thirsty. Temps were in the low 70s with lots of sunshine. Great hike for someone just getting back into hiking or just getting started.

Wednesday, October 04, 2017

This easy trail has very little elevation change and almost no rocks on the trail itself making it an easy hiking. Throughout this trail you will hike through well shaded Pine forests and sun drenched open spaces. Trail 360 on YouTube

Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Nice easy trail, I like running this on a recovery day or to loosen up during your tapering time before a race.

Saturday, August 26, 2017

Great winding trail through the meadows and the trees, the open area's can roast on a hot day. A little smelly from the horse traffic but not unbearable. And me and my friends GPS tracking apps wouldn't agree that it's the posted 4.99mi trail...closer to 5.5mi.

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Great trail hiking loop with my 8 year old son. The trail itself was pretty sandy in some stretches or I would have given it 5 stars. There are some elevation sections, but nothing beyond an EASY rating. Over half of the loop is in the woods and brush for shade.

Sunday, August 13, 2017

this is one of my favorite trails because of it's layout and variety of terrains but is way overused by horses. just so much horseshit.

Monday, June 26, 2017

Did this hike a couple years ago. it's ok with no difficulty at all. trail meanders through the woods and remains very flat. no access to the butte at all and you are competing with horses most of the way. not a great place for kids.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Our first hike after a long break. This trail walks you down into the valley and up. It was a steep haul up on our way back. Maybe best to start on the SE side, that is steeper and hike up the less steep NW side on the way back.

Saturday, May 20, 2017

Hiked on a snowy and muddy spring day with the dogs. Pretty views, mellow outing.

Thursday, December 29, 2016

Trail report 12/28/16: Snow, ice, water, mud in some of the shady spots on the trail, but mostly dry. I liked this loop a lot. It's ideal for people who like to wander, meander and roam. If you seek elevation gain, you will likely be disappointed. It's a nice blend of meadows and Ponderosa pine forest. Some of the trees are very old. I went midweek, so, not a lot of folks on the trail. I saw 2 equestrians, 2 trail bikers and 2 trail runners over the 5 mile loop. I hiked it solo, which felt safe and comfortable, but there are big kitties out there- glad I had my bells on. Overall, a very relaxing hike. I also liked that they have off shoot trails for horseback riding which include some cross country horse jumps. Looks like fun!

Friday, October 21, 2016

Had a great ride here today. Stunning scenery and fun, fast singletrack. Just watch out for the horse *^$#!

Sunday, October 09, 2016

Beautiful loop.

Sunday, October 02, 2016

This trail was fantastic, especially good for trail running due to the flatness and fairly stable surface. It had beautiful fall color low level trees and bushes in addition to pine forest and open Mesa. Several great views of the butte emerge as the trail meanders through one beautiful setting after another.