Dakota Ridge Trail

Dakota Ridge Trail is a 4.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Golden, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.1 miles Elevation Gain: 921 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Cool trail, only did the beginning for a couple miles, but not too hard, also not easy. Feel like there could be some snakes up there so I had my head on a swivel. Good long hike that covers a lot of ground and you get both sides of the front range!!

South Dakota Ridge Trail is bikers only so beware! I missed the multiple signs and I was one of three hikers on the trail. Went with my 13 pound pup and enjoyed the variety of terrain types. Definitely loud because of the proximity to the highway which doesn't help hearing 1 of the 15 bikers (and hopefully not rattlesnakes). Great views and a decently challenging trail.

Great if you love traffic noise, great scenery.

Nicely maintained and well marked. Begins pretty close to the highway (noisy) but as you hike south you get away from the highway and there’s pretty views of Red Rocks and surrounding greenery. Nice hike close to Denver. Not sure if it’s from all the rain or what, but mosquitos were out in full force, bring your bug spray!

We completed the hike this am. Oops we started goi g out win a trail that ran along I-70. Wrong way!!! Oh well. When we started around 9:45 am on a Tuesday we saw only one biker. we were finished around noon and tThe traffic started picking up on the trail a bit more. It took us 2 1/2 jointing we stopped a bunch to give our thirsty dogs water and to catch our breathe. Ok( we are not young)All the reviews are right on. Beautiful views, wildflowers and it’s rocky. We both had hiking boots and I’m glad. My watch said an incline of 944 feet. I guess that’s easy or hard depending on what shape you’re in, your age and where you are from. Lots of great places to stop and take some pictures or drink water. Our two dogs sure loved it. A huge plus is how close it is to Denver. We weren’t sure if we were on the right trail, but I’m pretty sure it was. There was another trail that we came upon called Zorro, we didn’t take it as we weren’t sure if it would end up back at our car in the Stegosaurus lot. ?? We went to what we thought was the end and turned around hiked back. I would recommend it

Go early to avoid trail traffic. Hike is fairly fast with plenty of up hill down hill transitions.

Not a super challenging hike, minimal incline. Says 900 feet elevation and 4.1 miles, but I don’t even think it’s that steep or long. Very rocky, but also beautiful with incredible views on both sides. Moved at a moderate pace and finished in an hour and 40 minutes. Overall, nice hike.

Pleasant walk, nice to finally hike this as we pass it frequently when traveling on 70, but too many bikers for me and a lot of highway noise.

Nice early morning hike. Rocky and recommend hiking boots that support your ankles and hiking poles to help thru some areas. Nice views. If you can ignore noise from highways below it is enjoyable. Some bike traffic.

quite a nice hike. the views are to die for! definitely took too many breaks to look at the surrounding mountains :) trail was dry.

So idk who decides these ratings on All Trails but this trail is definitely not easy. I would label it as moderate although the trailhead says difficult. Definitely have to watch where you're stepping as the trail is rocky. I wasn't expecting this but you can see and hear the road the whole way. No matter this is easily one of my favorites!!! views are gorgeous, parking lot is easy. lots of mountain bikers but they were all friendly.

A couple decent inclines that we're over pretty quickly. Only took 2 hours at a moderate pace.

Definitely more of a moderate hike than easy. I’m 8 1/2 months pregnant and did this. The beginning is an incline before it tapers off. The path across the top is also a little rocky. But the views are beautiful!

You start at the Dakota Ridge Trail head and end up at Alameda Parkway. It’s about 4.65 miles round trip and I wouldn’t call this easy either. Probably more of a medium trail since you need to plan ahead on your footing. This trail had a tough terrain filled with rocks & tree roots and at times the trail got a little to close to the edge of the cliff for my taste. At Alameda Parkway there was a port-a-potty and trash can, there weren’t either at the parking lot of Dakota Ridge, plan ahead. Great views of red rocks! 5/6/19

Great trail for visitors. Not too hard and great views of both city and mountains.

Very muddy today. Unable to hike it because it was so muddy. Will try again once it dries out.

Moderate hike, good hike for the front range.

This trail is definitely more moderate than easy. It has great incline intermittently, pretty rocky. Would be super hot in the summer with little shade coverage.

The trail offers a different perspective to red rocks. I would say it has moderate elevation climbs and the rest is fairly easy. Very rocky and uneven terrain for the most part. There are no trash cans anywhere, not at the beginning of the trail or in the parking lot which is producing a bit of trash and dog poop bags. Tried to pick up what I could. The pros: close to town and pretty view. The cons trashy and stinky parking lot and no trash bins.

This trail gives some nice views of Red Rocks as well as part of the city. I'd rate it more moderate than easy, with an initial climb that's non-trivial. The trail had a few spots of remaining ice and snow on it, but otherwise was quite hikeable in shoes.

The trail started out all up and very cold and windy. As you get to the top of the ridge it became beautiful, warm and sunny. Quite muddy at the start and then pretty rocky off and on after that. Could be moderate more than easy for a less experienced hikers. Overall a nice home with my pup!

completed this trail on 12/30/18 as a hike. Very nice trail, more moderate than easy thank to the slabs of rock and loose sand. Saw a ton of mountain bikers, not all of them announced themselves, so we had to keep our eyes and ears open. There are great views, but the good portion of the time you hear traffic, which is a bummer, but eventually it all goes away. The trail is very open, not a ton of tree coverage.