Learn more

Dakota Ridge and Red Rocks Trail Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(335)
South Dinosaur Park

Dakota Ridge and Red Rocks Trail Loop is a 7.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Morrison, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,538 feet Route Type: Loop

Please note: this trail may close seasonally for muddy conditions. It is possible to link to Matthew Winters/Red Rocks trails to create a longer loop.

A great hike, but there is a fair amount of road noise when you’re hiking the ridge. A couple good views up on the ridge, but red rocks trail is where the best views come in. The terrain was a little rough on the joints, so once the loop met up with the road we hiked the road back to our car. Bring plenty of water, no shade. There is a stream 1/2 way through!

What a great local hike! Only a 25 minute drive from Glendale. I thought I had seen most of the fun stuff around Denver but Dakota Ridge is a really fun and scenic little area! This is a fun, fairly easy hike that starts with a climb to the top of the ridge. The ridge itself has great views and rock formations, and I'd recommend adding a little bit to the hike by taking the ridge trail to the end then backtracking back to the Red Rocks trail. This is rocky and exposed, so be sure to be ready for the sun!

Such a beautiful hike! Not too strenuous. I definitely think kids could do this hike. it's long but doable and you are able to turn around at any point. please be respectful and bring a face covering. The trail was dry and watch for snakes!

Beautiful hiking along a ridge. To one side, you see Morrison's red rocks. To the other side, you see a valley and maybe Eastern Lakewood? Morrison? Lovely hike.

I went on monday during covid. There was only a few bikers and hikers. I rarely saw any except myself and nature. It kicked my butt hiking up. I brought a walking stick because I have a bad ankle and some knee problems. It's pretty steep going down and rocky. overall, it was a beautiful hike! I reccomend going on a weekday. I'm sure its packed during the weekend

The views were amazing! Certain areas were quite narrow but overall great hike. We had lots of fun taking our time and enjoying the area.

Good hike but had to dodge bikers frequently. Majority of trail is fairly narrow so often had to step off of trail to keep social distance. Very few people wearing masks. Slightly muddy at start of hike. Great view throughout entire trail and had a wonderful time

Nice and scenic trail. I was expecting an actual loop but it’s more of a “keyhole”. Plenty of space to social distance too:)

icy

Can’t say I loved the road/highway noise but regardless of that the views and workout were great!

Nice incline, good ridge for views while running, heavily populated at times but overall a nice loop for good exercise. Hiked a mile with 45lb bag, ran the last mile and a half w/ weighted bag. Not including the run on the road back to my car (mostly uphill...feel the burn!) -A

Good trail. Very little mud.

closed
icy

Way too busy on Saturdays at 2pm. Bikes, dogs, trail runners oh my!