Dakota Ridge and Red Rocks Trail Loop

Dakota Ridge and Red Rocks Trail Loop is a 7.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Morrison, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,538 feet Route Type: Loop

It is possible to link to Matthew Winters/Red Rocks trails to create a longer loop.

Beautiful views of Red Rocks. Well maintained. Does have rattlesnakes and can be very hot in summer. No water and not much shade on Dakota Ridge. Easy parking. Steep inclines and descents. Keep dog on leash due to snakes. Saunter down to see the dinosaur tracks.

great trail system well marked popular with mountain bikes exposed not any shade.

Hiked this one for my first time today. Started at 7am and didn’t see another person until 9am or so - only a few mountain bikers. The trail through red rocks is absolutely spectacular. Have to cross a few roads but all exception one are pretty straight forward. Ended up doing a little extension in the Red Rocks Trail but was worth it. Highly recommend this one.

private property

Really enjoyed the trail. Came upon it while checking out dinosaur ridge. Beautiful views! Lots of fun and our kiddos (4 & 3) had lots of fun (they needed some help at times).

Tough hike but worth the views. Lots of mountain bikers. Beginning and end are steep but the pass through Red Rocks Trail is amazing!!! Go now while it’s green and the flowers are blooming. This is also close to roads would suggest headphones for part of the way.

Really beautiful trail with many different sites. Took my friend and I 4.5hrs to complete (we are not particularly fit). Lots of traffic and many bikers however.

Now is good to see lush and green. I made youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ss_k1EDynA

Some sections are more technical than others, with some parts being very rocky and more difficult to navigate. This was scenic in places and had varying terrain and scenery, which I enjoyed! Lots of mountain bikers on the trail and biking seems to be the primary use, so be alert to bikers coming up behind you especially on the downhills.

This is both a hiking and biking trail, but I didn't run into many bicyclist out there. It was my first time completing this loop and I loved it! At the time of writing this though the conditions on the trail are as follows: muddy, muddy, muddy with some ice and snow. The mud definitely made it harder than normal since you're trying not to slide off the side of the cliffs, but as long as you proceed with caution and watch your footing, you'll be okay! I was so glad I trekked through everything and really pushed myself through some of the terrain because the views are stunning. I'm definitely going to complete this one again, but maybe under dryer conditions.

Great variety of terrains.

A little icy and snowy in some areas, but plenty of parking and a beautiful hike.

Beautiful trail, more like moderate with some hard sections. Pretty easy overall. Exposed with little shade. Encountered a rattle snake on the trail! Note: the direction button for this trail leads you to the Green Mountain Trailhead, which is on the other side of Dakota Ridge! If you go there you'll probably have an easier time finding parking than at the Matthews/Winter park. You start on the Zorro Trail across the road, which leads you up to Dakota Ridge. I accidentally went down Green Mountain trail because I missed the signs and was looking for the red rocks trail. I drove to Matthews instead and took red rocks to Dakota. I kind of likes that way better. * *bikes arent allowed the first portion of the village walk trailhead I think but are on Zorro.

Solid hike. Not much shade but great to hike near RRX. Didn’t like having to cross street

Loved it! Cool mix of terrains. We got a little turned around but made it and it was really satisfying! Very open so wear sun shirt.

Surprisingly scenic for being in the middle of everything. Great when looped with Red Rocks.

Was a fun and challenging trail when we went. It was very hot and not a lot of wind. But the hike itself I would do again

Hiked the Dakota Ridge section a couple of days ago with a group. Nice views, but a lot of freeway noise. We encountered 2 rattlesnakes, so pay attention to the trail!

Good trail, lot of exposure so plenty of water and sunscreen a must in hot weather. Also watch out for rattlesnakes, had a close encounter with one today on the trail.

Wow, this was one of the fun trails I've done in the past! Unfortunately my phone died while I was recording. The weather was perfect for it, (72F, cloudy) so we were able to handle 90% no share trail was not too bad.

This ridge walk should definitely be rated ‘Easy’ rather than Moderate. Completed it in under 2 hours... great views and a mostly flat, well-maintained trail. Would be good for trail running.

Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Was very scenic and pretty and close to the city. Long enough to get a solid hike in and not overly difficult.

Sunday, April 22, 2018

Dakota Ridge side of loop rocky and I-470 in view most of way. Red Rocks side of loop very nice with feeling of being more away from city. Overall good workout and good views

Thursday, April 19, 2018

Nice loop, pretty difficult at times. Did it with my dog on a gorgeous early AM during the week, saw 1 hiker and later in the afternoon some mountain bikers. Pretty exposed at times, gorgeous views. It definitely felt like spring.

Sunday, April 01, 2018

I liked the hike. Thought it was moderate and not difficult . Wonderful views. The downside is that it is quite busy and has quite a few mountain bikers

Sunday, March 18, 2018

Started in the park on the Morrison trail and went all the way around going on Dakota ridge trail. This is a good somewhat difficult hike. going up Dakota ridge was the hardest part. the rest of the hike was fairly easy. I took just over two hours to do the whole loop.

Saturday, March 10, 2018

I did the Dakota ridge section of this loop. Very great hike— challenging with beautiful views. I probably wouldn’t do this on a nice weekend as it is full of mountain bikers that often just come barreling through without notice.

Monday, February 19, 2018

Great trail!! Did it in about 5 hours including lunch on the trail. Was very crowded once you get on the red rocks trail but wasn’t too bad. Really have to look out for the mountain bikes though cause there were a lot. Overall great trail during the winter and not much mud or snow.