Curecanti Creek Trail

Curecanti Creek Trail is a 3.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Cimarron, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.7 miles Elevation Gain: 836 feet Route Type: Out & Back

After descending from the high rim of the Upper Black Canyon of the Gunnison, the trail follows Curecanti Creek as it falls toward Morrow Point Reservoir. The Curecanti Needle, a 700 ft. granite spire, towers above at the trail's end.

Stopped for about an hour and a half at the bottom to fish! Beautiful hike.

We just made it to the 1st bridge because of 2 dogs on a hot day. Beautiful - including the drive to the trailhead.

Had the canyon all to myself early on a Monday Morning. I highly recommend finding some of your own time out there.

Loved this trail! It was sunnier than I expected, but once we crossed the first bridge there was a lot more shade. Loved the roaring creek and the spots where you could feel the mist. Sign at the Trailhead states the hike is strenuous but I'd call it a difficult moderate hike, especially if you don't hike often. Gorgeous views!

This hike was amazing, starts w/ a rigorous downhill decent w/ gorgeous views! Lots of rocks, so keep your eyes down or stop if you need to take in the scenery. We got about 50 to 100 yards to the lagoon (the bottom) and the trail was filled w/ moving water. We chose not to boulder over the rocks and turned back (we hiked on June 29, 2019). The hike back to the top was pretty hard (and hot) but definitely doable due to the number of shaded areas where we could catch our breath and cool down. Great workout w/ some of the best views. Probably not good for people w/ any kind of balance issues or heart conditions.

Amazing. We checked out the overlooks at the top to gain perspective of where we'd be at the Creek. Crossed both overcreek bridges. Were right next to the roaring falls. Moderate rating accurate for us ascending back. Dog on leash friendly. Only saw ten people total on the trail.

Only went halfway down, to the waterfall. Beautiful trail. All that down means a lot of up. Whooo!

this was an incredible child to do we took our small dog on it and she was able to do 90% of it The water is really flowing right now so we weren't able to make it the last 10th of a mile as the water had covered the trail at the end I would highly recommend this

Beautiful hike! I would highly recommend it. We couldn’t get to the end of the trail due to flooding (7/10/19), but we still hiked most of it.

Spring runoff 10/10 and so many wild flowers! I got maybe 5/6 of the way there but got spooked towards the end because it was just me hiking alone and there was a pine tree completely shredded by a bear. So I turned around because I didn’t want to be a bear snack. There really is nothing like the bottom of the canyon. Everything echos!

Difficult for those with no athletic skill, like me. Beautiful scenery though, and the river was very fast. There are a couple spots which may get your feet wet depending on the time of year, and some scrambling over large rocks. Wear good shoes and bring plenty of water!

Loved the scenery and a great hike with my two dogs. Dont let the overlook at the beginning throw you off, the trail starts by the picnic table. My labs were bummed they couldn't swim in the river (steep bank, fast water) but we made up for it by going to the Blue Mesa afterward.

Incredible hike. One of my favorites in the Curecanti/Black Canyon region. Insane waterfall views, got here early in the morning and weren’t many people, but eventually ran into a ton on the way back. Most of them had dogs. Can’t wait to come back more often.

Inner canyon is a parallel universe from higher up. Only tiny patches of snow and creek is high but passable. A beautiful day with my dog Lily. Hardly anyone along trail.

Hiked it today (4/27/19) and the trail was 90% clear. Only one place where a snow bank made it a little dicey to traverse but successfully made it to the end. Beautiful hike!

We were here yesterday (4/17/19) and attempted to hike the trail. The snow was up to our knees so we had to turn back. The views were still breathtaking and there’s a little picnic area next to one of the lookout points if you don’t want to do the hike.

Mon Oct 29 2018

I wouldn't rate this trail difficult. It's a steady drop into the canyon with only a few steps here and there. You'll want sturdy shoes once you're walking by the river with a little bit of scrambling the closer you get to the end of the trail. Take your lunch and enjoy the space!

Fri Jul 27 2018

Took my two boys 7+9 plus wife down the trail. Took about 55 min to get to creek and waterfall. Very beautiful hike, canyon walls with trees. At the creek is a campsite plus picnic table. Some access to the creek, but not easy bcz of trees/ bushes. The waterfall appears on the canyon wall at the campsite, but it wasn’t running. You can see the wet rocks marking it, but nothing else. Walk back up was about the same amount of time. I would rate the trail as moderate.

Fri Jul 20 2018

Beautiful hike with a couple short steep spots on way out so worth it

Tue Jul 17 2018

A lot of switchbacks down the trails make the trail a perfect grade. The trails was well maintained and had 2 bridges to cross the creek. Towards the bottom of the trail you were walking next to the creek which had numerous waterfalls. At the end you could see where the creek and river meet up and because of the current from the river up into the stream you could jump in. The canyon wall was stunning the entire way. Took my dad and I just over two hours with a break at the bottom

Fri Jul 06 2018

Beautiful trail. Amazing views. Great place to swim at the bottom. Awesome campsites down at the bottom. Wish I had known about it would have been a great place to stay. I clearly don’t do enough cardio, had to stop a few times coming back up. But we did the whole thing in about 2.5 hours including a stop at the bottom. Be sure to go check out the vista...you can look all the way down to the beach you just walked to.

Sat Jun 02 2018

What an absolutely beautiful hike. I hiked with two Gunnison residents, that find the hike back to the top strenuous, but not too bad. For myself, coming from sea level and not used to strenuous hikes... it was really tough going up. And slow. It took us about 4.5 hours all total which included hanging out with our feet in the lake for a while before heading back up. Bring more water than you think you’ll need. Passed two great camping spots along the trail too, complete with fire pits, picnic tables, and one had a bear box. Very hard and tiring, but gorgeous.

Tue May 08 2018

GF and I did this hike two days ago and absolutely loved it. The Curecanti Creek is running high with runoff right now and was present in all of it's incredible glory. As most have commented, the climb back up is moderately strenuous, but we did it in short time. The map is a little deceptive as the trail leads all the way down to where the creek feeds into the reservoir. This is now one of our favorite hikes.

Fri Jan 12 2018

Kinda strenuous, but totally worth it.

Sat Dec 30 2017

Beautiful views throughout. Beautiful in the fall time

Sun Oct 15 2017

Though it's quite a drop, the hike back up actually felt quite gradual. Because of this (and because I'm not super athletic), I'd rate it as moderate. Of course we were hiking in October ~ perhaps the midday sun in summer would make it a different story! Ahh, but it's just about as beautiful as it gets...

Mon Sep 04 2017

Awesome trail. Creek is very pretty to walk along. At the end you get to a larger lake like body of water with the canyon all around you. Take a swim! The hike back is a nice little workout