Cub Lake Trail Loop

Cub Lake Trail Loop is a 6.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Estes Park: Travel west on Hwy 36 past the Beaver Meadows Entrance Station Bear Lake Roadd. Take this road south (left) to the turn--off for the Cub Lake and Fern Lake Trailheads and Moraine Park. The trailhead is about two miles on this road.

BEAUTIFUL. Went hiking there yesterday (April 22), and got a good mix of light snow and sun. Very scenic from start to finish, and really not difficult at all. The first half is very casual, the second half leading up to the lake is a fairly easy climb. On the way down, there were elk in the meadow VERY close to the trail. Definitely a new favorite for me!

really nice trail. I would say moderate trail but the snow was an issue to go down the hill next to the lake.

A pretty easy trail- My 8 year old and i hiked it today. There was a small amount of snow in between The Pool and Cub Lake. The are around cub lake is devoid of trees due to fire. It may have been beetle kill then fire. We saw plenty of wildlife - elk, coyote, moose loads of butterflies and mule deer. Took us 4 hours including a great bask on a rock at the lake.

Went over Christmas break. It was gorgeous. We trekked out off the trail and really enjoyed the scenery.

I would rate this one as moderate more than easy.. couple trees down and melting snow made it pretty tricky. I saw a lot of people turning around. However the view at cub lake is worth the extra challenges. Can easily be done without spikes or poles.

Great easy hike! Very pretty. I saw about four people in the way to cub lake. Once I got to the pool there were more people who hiked from fern lake trail head. Nice easy hike to log some miles.

Fairly easy hike except the last 1/2 mile or so which goes uphill fairly steady. Mostly flat at the beginning but it does get going up. It was a bit steeper than I had anticipated but is really moderate. The lake is nothing special compared to some of the higher lakes in the park.

Pretty easy, flat for the most part to the lake. Good views, but the pine trees surrounding lake were dead. Pretty aspen grove before reaching lake. The elk were very close to trail when we went in the evening. We did a loop to the Pool and came out at Fern Lake trailhead which was nice because the hike past Cub lake was all downhill.