Cub Lake

Cub Lake is a 5.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from December until March.

Distance: 5.1 miles Elevation Gain: 728 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The trail is snow packed except for small areas that the sun is able to melt. Cub Lake is currently frozen over. Just did the trail out and back from the lake instead of the loop due to the wind and hearing that the pool is very icy and people have been falling with microspikes on.

icy

So much fun. A long hike but rewarding. My wife and 7 & 5 yr olds were able to complete it. It pushed the kids a bit but it was worth it. Parts were snowpack between Cub lake and the pool but not to bad.

Snow today. beautiful trail. walked the flat part.

Not totally accurate. Moderate at lower level. Rocky n steep at top elevation. The Moose at Cub Lake made the hike worthwhile.

Nice hike to take when wanting to acclimate to higher altitude. Easy to navigate. Saw 2 moose this morning about 1.5 miles from trailhead in the marshy area. Saw a moose in late July on this trail also. Cub Lake itself is not terribly interesting, but we saw a river otter running along the bank in late July. Lots of birds, rabbits and squirrels. Even saw turkeys.

great hike. not the hike I thought it was. this isn't the cub lake loop.

Nice hike through the moraine meadows, woods and up to the small lake. The lake is pretty but surrounded by fire damage. We did an out and back as the loop ends with a 1 mile walk down the dusty road from the Fern Lake parking lot. Get there before 9AM the parking is limited.

Ended up going from Cub Lake over to Mill Creek and then cut to Hollowell Park. Beautiful hike! Got real hard going up that hill I would go the other way the next time (start at Bierstadt lake or hollowell or mill creek and then to Cub Lake). Bring bug spray and sunscreen hollowell and parks of Cub are sunny

This was too long for my kids so we couldn’t do the whole thing. It was very pretty and so many areas to take pictures. We saw deer. It was pretty crowded with people.

Good intermediate hike, lack of shade for good portions of the hike make it a bit tougher on hot days. First half of hike is flat, last 1/3 is pretty steep. Beautiful payoff at the end.

Fantastic trail I would recommend to anyone especially families. Our 7 and 9 year old girls did this trail with us with no problems at all. Don’t stop at the lake tho make sure you add another mile to your hike and check out “the pool.” Safe travels everyone!

8/2/2019: Beautiful, easy hike as a recovery day or first day at altitude. Beautiful meadows with lots of flowers, river, wildlife and Mountain View’s. 2.5 hour round trip at a slow/moderate pace with many stops for pictures. Became crowded on our way back at 10:00.

Pretty view from Cub Lake. We hung up hammocks and enjoyed the view for a while.

This was a great hike for day 2 for the flatlanders from Kansas. The meadow is full of wildflowers and stunning. The Lake does have plant life growing on it but I think that adds to the beauty. There were people on the trail but we left the big crowds 100 yards from the parking lot.

Excellent jaunt through the valley early featuring tons of wildflowers in July. The bugs were active early which was discouraging to the kids (9, 5, and 2) but not the adults or the 11 year-old. We saw a moose and her calf - so cool. Some have said the lake wasn’t worth the climb on the second half. I disagree. The hike is really nice combination of terrains, and the views at the lake were well worth a easy to medium climb.

First half of the out and back trail through the meadow is stunning. I'd recommend turning around when the elevation starts to increase. Cub Lake doesn't compare to other views and lakes in the park right now. The lake is covered in plant growth and the surrounding trees are burnt out from a fire. There are better hikes for the effort -- nice that the meadow is right up front!

Good hike, view is stunning at meadow level. The lake was a bit disappointing after we visited dream lake yesterday. Didn’t see any large animals.

awesome

Great hike with our 11 year old son. Observed many elk and 1 moose. Trail was in great shape. Conservation workers were improving the trail in sections closer to the lake. Trail is a nice combo of flat dirt, rock and steps. Greater amount of incline and steps in the last 1/3 before the lake. Very doable for hikers of all abilities and ages. We will return to this trail during future visits.

to do in the direction of the needles

We hiked it today, early in the morning. We saw a whole herd of elk, chipmunks, marmot, and capped off the trip with a moose eating grass out of the pond between beaver ponds and cub lake. My three year old completed the hike with only a few faceplants. My wife carried our eight month old in a baby bjorn. It wasn't a difficult hike at all, but it was great. The meadows are stunning.

Neat hike! No snow on the trail (mid June). Went on this hike with my teenager and tweener. We all loved it! We went in late afternoon when Bear Lake parking and shuttle stop were shut down. The lighting was beautiful for much of the hike. Starts out on the edge of the meadow (with elk), then the trail became rockier and next to a swampy area. After that the trail got rockier, steeper, and went into the woods. We saw a marmot on a rock in our way back, which we were all excited about. We hiked in running shoes, but it would have been a lot easier in hiking boots.

This was a beautiful hike, I did it with the park rangers so I even got to learn a thing or to, they say there are moose but I didn’t see any but the beautiful scenery made up for it.