Cub Lake

Cub Lake is a 5.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from December until March.

Our first hike in the park, and what an ending!!! The Lake was beautiful and still had snow covering. Highly recommend. The descent is fun!

I hiked in tennis shoes so a few parts were slick, but overall a solid hike! Go early in the morning (8ish) to have the trail to yourself.

Great trail near the park entrance. There is still snow and some ice in the last half mile before the lake as of 3/11.

Did this hike on 2/11. Snow pack on trial was good and micro spikes were plenty sufficient, could have even probably done without them but the trail did become slightly less packed the closer it got to the lake. By the time we came back, a lot of the snow had started to melt and getting muddy. Overall amazing and had a blast! Went to the outfitters store in Estes afterwards and picked up my badge :)

Hiked in mid January 2018. Microspikes would have been helpful for the last mile before the lake as the grade kicks up.

Loved it, huge Lily pad covered lake. Don’t feed the chipmunks there will be one the first time. Then 50 more will show up. Heed. My. Warning.

The lake is very beautiful even know there are dead trees around as it gives it a unique personality and a history. There is also still living trees on the trail. I went Wed 12-20-17 and there was hardly any snow spots on the ground (unlike neighboring Dream Lake was a sheet of ice on parts of the trail as we did it right after). Nice Hike but it left us ready for more trail, not too challenging. Rocky never disappoints.

Pretty easy hike. The last 3/4 mile are the toughest and its not even that bad. I wish I could have seen this area before the fire, I bet it was gorgeous. The trail was clear except for a couple ice spots which are easy to maneuver around. The lake is frozen solid, still beautiful.

I intended to hike to Fern Lake, missed the sign and took a wrong turn, ending up at Cub Lake. I'm glad - it was a fairly easy detour and the lake was nice looking. There was some bear scat on the trail, recommend being on high alert for wildlife.

Did this in the beginning of May. Still lots of snow but relatively easy hike.

My friend and did this hike on Friday afternoon and it is classified as moderate, but I would consider it to be easy. We were gonna do the Mills Lake, Black Lake, Frozen Lake Trail, but the park rangers wouldn't let anyone passed Moraine Park Visitor Center, even though there were a flood of cars leaving as we arrived. We also had to wait in line for an hour and a half just to be turned away. Definitely left a sour taste in my mouth. Having said that, the 800 ft of elevation gain on the Cub Lake Trail was pretty easy to obtain and the lake would have been more beautiful if there weren't so many dead trees surrounding it. Good hike for families and beginners, but don't expect a major challenge here.

This was a great hike! even our 3 year old did well with most of it (although made it a bit slower

Started at Cub Lake Trail head and went up to Cub Lake and then made a loop by going down to The Pools and the Fern Lake trailhead.

Good hike with different terrain, Cub Lake is a good place to stop for a rest or lunch before continuing on.

Started around 11 on Saturday and there were times we couldn't see or hear anyone else on the trail which was an awesome escape compared to Bear Lake and Co.

Such a good hike, hiking through the meadows and lakes before the climb up makes you keep your eyes peeled for animals and the chipmunk we spotted posed for us as he ate his grass.

Well worth it hike on 7/13. hike it mid-day from lower parking area. Neat the way go through much more varied terrain--moraine, marsh/meadow, aspens, pines, rocky etc. Good combo of flat and incline trail. Very doable for married 50 y/o novice couple.

Started from our campground at Moraine Park. Beautiful hike that crosses some very different terrain than most other trails in the park. Moderate enough for our 6 year old to do it at a good pace. Great pay off for lunch at the lake. Much less traveled than the Bear Lake trails and Alberta Falls.

Beautiful easy to moderate hike depending on how you are with the altitude. No snow at all on the trail. Not many people on this trail. Took the shuttle from the park and ride lot. Great day

Lovely hike. We saw 2 moose and 40 elk along the way! No snow on the trail. Moderate seems like an accurate rating.

Great easy-moderate hike! I saw so much wildlife on this hike! Elk, ducks, geese, toads, a snake, and even a baby moose! There isn't a lot of shade, so make sure you have sunscreen and water! The trail is completely free of snow, but has some small muddy and watery sections.

Pretty easy going, saw some moose.

Great sunny hike - went on Sunday, April 30 and actually didn't run into too many people. Got to the parking lot around 10:45am and there were a handful of open spots. We brought snowshoes because of the snowstorm on Saturday but didn't need them once! We made a loop by going to cub lake, as well as fern falls and the pool. Lovely hike with amazing views. Would recommend it!!

#goodtymehyking

Thursday, November 17, 2016

Easy hike. Relatively flat until last 15% going up to the lake.

Monday, November 07, 2016

Great easy hike to log some miles. I ended up doing the loop and would recommend it. The lake was pretty but not my favorite out of my hikes... but the easy walk to it was pretty along with the pool and the way down. Recommend it for a nice easy hike or to bring out of town visitors.

Thursday, October 13, 2016

It was a relatively easy hike. Really pretty towards the end. The lake was beautiful, and we saw a moose there!

Tuesday, October 04, 2016

If you wade or swim, watch out for leeches...

Monday, September 12, 2016

An absolutely beautiful hike. It's relatively easy, with only one or two sections of steep uphill hiking. The lake is gorgeous, and there's paths leading down to the waters edge. Make sure you start early so you can get a parking spot and see some wildlife! Among the animals we saw were a coyote, a moose, and two elk harems!

Thursday, August 25, 2016

Challenging hike in spots...beautiful lily pad covered lake!

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Nice trail. Great trail with a nice serene lake.