Cub Lake

Cub Lake is a 5.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from December until March.

Pretty easy hike. The last 3/4 mile are the toughest and its not even that bad. I wish I could have seen this area before the fire, I bet it was gorgeous. The trail was clear except for a couple ice spots which are easy to maneuver around. The lake is frozen solid, still beautiful.

I intended to hike to Fern Lake, missed the sign and took a wrong turn, ending up at Cub Lake. I'm glad - it was a fairly easy detour and the lake was nice looking. There was some bear scat on the trail, recommend being on high alert for wildlife.

Did this in the beginning of May. Still lots of snow but relatively easy hike.

My friend and did this hike on Friday afternoon and it is classified as moderate, but I would consider it to be easy. We were gonna do the Mills Lake, Black Lake, Frozen Lake Trail, but the park rangers wouldn't let anyone passed Moraine Park Visitor Center, even though there were a flood of cars leaving as we arrived. We also had to wait in line for an hour and a half just to be turned away. Definitely left a sour taste in my mouth. Having said that, the 800 ft of elevation gain on the Cub Lake Trail was pretty easy to obtain and the lake would have been more beautiful if there weren't so many dead trees surrounding it. Good hike for families and beginners, but don't expect a major challenge here.

This was a great hike! even our 3 year old did well with most of it (although made it a bit slower

Started at Cub Lake Trail head and went up to Cub Lake and then made a loop by going down to The Pools and the Fern Lake trailhead.

Good hike with different terrain, Cub Lake is a good place to stop for a rest or lunch before continuing on.

Started around 11 on Saturday and there were times we couldn't see or hear anyone else on the trail which was an awesome escape compared to Bear Lake and Co.

Such a good hike, hiking through the meadows and lakes before the climb up makes you keep your eyes peeled for animals and the chipmunk we spotted posed for us as he ate his grass.

Well worth it hike on 7/13. hike it mid-day from lower parking area. Neat the way go through much more varied terrain--moraine, marsh/meadow, aspens, pines, rocky etc. Good combo of flat and incline trail. Very doable for married 50 y/o novice couple.