Cub Lake

Cub Lake is a 5.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from December until March.

Nice loop, we did learn that park of the ‘trail’ on al trails is just the road. We started in the Fern Lake direction and then came around to Cub Lake, counter clockwise. The cub Lake side is very exposed and steep coming that direction but still nice.

A great 3.5+ hour hike...the dead trees, as referenced by others here, is just a part of nature, the lake is still beautiful and the fresh mountain air make this a great moderate hike. Nothing easy about hiking in high altitude for us out of staters. Be sure and take plenty of water and snacks. Would definitely take kids along.

The trail leads to a beautiful lake full of what appeared to be Lily Pads. I saw a Moose and her baby bathing in the lake which was magical. My one complaint about the scenery is that all of the trees surrounding the lake have either been burned or impacted by the Pine beetle thus they are all dead and seeing dead trees makes me a bit sad. The trail leading up would make for a good running trail. I feel this trail leans on the more easy-moderate side of the scale, too. Due to its proximity, the trail gets a lot of overflow from people that get turned away from Bear Lake and Glacier Gorge so be aware of that.

Great trail. Saw a cub today just down from the lake. He was about s football field length from me. My first beat ever. So happy. Trail starts out a walk in the park and gets rocky and more steep at lake. Lots of lily pads on lake. We arrived around 8 am and found a parking spot right away. When we came off the trail around 11:30 we were shocked how many cars were parked along the road. Glad I got up at 4:30 for this hike.

Overall the trail was in good order. We (wife, MiL, 6mo strapped to dad) chose this trail on a whim.

Gorgeous meadows and it’s mostly unshaded until the last third of the trail where you get a break from the sun.

The trail is well defined. The lake was cool to see with the lily pads on top but was murky so we were unable to wade in.

We did have the opportunity to see a young brown bear up close (20 yards) and started making noise to scare it off. Keep this in mind.

forest around the lake is in a terrible condition unfortunately,

Add this to your fern lake to bear lake hike. But otherwise nothing so amazing.

Beautiful views, wildflowers, and often lots of wildlife (elk, moose, bears). Love this hike every time. Difficulty: easy.

Easy trail to follow. Get more challenging at the end but worth it!

Loved this hike. Very easy trail to follow and gorgeous views at the end.

Did it with my 3,5 years old. He was able, almost without any help, climb to the Top. Beautiful place.

Moose. Snake. Elk. Turkey.

Our first hike in the park, and what an ending!!! The Lake was beautiful and still had snow covering. Highly recommend. The descent is fun!

I hiked in tennis shoes so a few parts were slick, but overall a solid hike! Go early in the morning (8ish) to have the trail to yourself.

Great trail near the park entrance. There is still snow and some ice in the last half mile before the lake as of 3/11.

Did this hike on 2/11. Snow pack on trial was good and micro spikes were plenty sufficient, could have even probably done without them but the trail did become slightly less packed the closer it got to the lake. By the time we came back, a lot of the snow had started to melt and getting muddy. Overall amazing and had a blast! Went to the outfitters store in Estes afterwards and picked up my badge :)

Hiked in mid January 2018. Microspikes would have been helpful for the last mile before the lake as the grade kicks up.

Loved it, huge Lily pad covered lake. Don’t feed the chipmunks there will be one the first time. Then 50 more will show up. Heed. My. Warning.

The lake is very beautiful even know there are dead trees around as it gives it a unique personality and a history. There is also still living trees on the trail. I went Wed 12-20-17 and there was hardly any snow spots on the ground (unlike neighboring Dream Lake was a sheet of ice on parts of the trail as we did it right after). Nice Hike but it left us ready for more trail, not too challenging. Rocky never disappoints.

Pretty easy hike. The last 3/4 mile are the toughest and its not even that bad. I wish I could have seen this area before the fire, I bet it was gorgeous. The trail was clear except for a couple ice spots which are easy to maneuver around. The lake is frozen solid, still beautiful.

I intended to hike to Fern Lake, missed the sign and took a wrong turn, ending up at Cub Lake. I'm glad - it was a fairly easy detour and the lake was nice looking. There was some bear scat on the trail, recommend being on high alert for wildlife.

Did this in the beginning of May. Still lots of snow but relatively easy hike.

Sunday, August 06, 2017

My friend and did this hike on Friday afternoon and it is classified as moderate, but I would consider it to be easy. We were gonna do the Mills Lake, Black Lake, Frozen Lake Trail, but the park rangers wouldn't let anyone passed Moraine Park Visitor Center, even though there were a flood of cars leaving as we arrived. We also had to wait in line for an hour and a half just to be turned away. Definitely left a sour taste in my mouth. Having said that, the 800 ft of elevation gain on the Cub Lake Trail was pretty easy to obtain and the lake would have been more beautiful if there weren't so many dead trees surrounding it. Good hike for families and beginners, but don't expect a major challenge here.

Saturday, July 22, 2017

This was a great hike! even our 3 year old did well with most of it (although made it a bit slower

Monday, July 17, 2017

Started at Cub Lake Trail head and went up to Cub Lake and then made a loop by going down to The Pools and the Fern Lake trailhead.

Good hike with different terrain, Cub Lake is a good place to stop for a rest or lunch before continuing on.

Started around 11 on Saturday and there were times we couldn't see or hear anyone else on the trail which was an awesome escape compared to Bear Lake and Co.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Such a good hike, hiking through the meadows and lakes before the climb up makes you keep your eyes peeled for animals and the chipmunk we spotted posed for us as he ate his grass.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Well worth it hike on 7/13. hike it mid-day from lower parking area. Neat the way go through much more varied terrain--moraine, marsh/meadow, aspens, pines, rocky etc. Good combo of flat and incline trail. Very doable for married 50 y/o novice couple.

Monday, July 10, 2017

Started from our campground at Moraine Park. Beautiful hike that crosses some very different terrain than most other trails in the park. Moderate enough for our 6 year old to do it at a good pace. Great pay off for lunch at the lake. Much less traveled than the Bear Lake trails and Alberta Falls.

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Beautiful easy to moderate hike depending on how you are with the altitude. No snow at all on the trail. Not many people on this trail. Took the shuttle from the park and ride lot. Great day