Cub Creek Trail is a 28.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Conifer, Colorado that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 28.8 miles Elevation Gain: 7,112 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Good hiking with good elevation gain and loss, eventually hits the creek about 3.5 or so miles in, good parking, never very crowded, you can find antlers in the right time of year

Great trail with lots of shade. Hit snow patches 5 mi in with some way finding but then you drop back down in elevation. Only went out 10 mi more down trees the further out I went.

good level of incline and pretty!

Great hike! Beautiful views! The trail was amazing and dog friendly! Good for kids. Lots of beautiful trees!

closed
private property

Not ideal conditions, not well maintained. I wrenched my ankle on some rocks and hobbled back to the head after about 3 miles in. Not worth the hassle of getting there vs what you’ll end up hiking.

closed
icy
private property

Terribly rocky and unmaintained. Lots of snow still.

I would recommend snowshoes if you want to do more than a couple of miles of the trail. I made it 4-5 miles in just my YakTrax before I had to turn around due to post holing in knee deep snow every step.

Starts off harder and turns into moderate with lots of shaded forest. Saw tons of mushrooms and it was really beautiful. Two campgrounds along the way.

Only hiked about 3 miles in or so before heading back this time. Great trail!

Sat May 25 2019

nice little reading spot at about 2.8 miles in.

Sun May 05 2019

Some foot and bike traffic but minimal compared to most. Rocks ruin this trail.

Sat Apr 20 2019

Beautiful trail! Incline starts right from the get go making it a challenging run. Started postholing just over 3 miles in and I decided to turn around. Still enjoyed every second!

Mon Feb 25 2019

Nice forested trail that breaks out into open vistas every so often. A steady climb but nothing too steep. We didn’t see another human being on this Monday afternoon. The solitude and quiet was spectacular!

Sat Jan 26 2019

Beautiful forested trail with minimal views. We turned around a little after a mile. Trail was packed some, but snowshoes would be helpful, especially if you go further on the trail. We just used spikes. I'll be back when the weather is warmer.

Tue Oct 09 2018

This trail is a great local option if you’re just looking to get into the forest. There’s not much as far as views or destinations, just a whole lot of room to roam. I’ve only been ~7 miles in.

Sun Sep 30 2018

one trail

Sat Jun 09 2018

Hiked a little over 4 miles in. Nice workout!

Sun May 13 2018

Nice trail. No breathtaking vistas but complete solitude and quiet. Hiked yesterday, a Saturday, and saw one person. Hiked 4.5 miles in and came back. Good steady incline. Lots of rocks so wear good shoes and bring trekking poles.

Mon Apr 30 2018

Great hike! I went early on a Monday morning, I didn’t see anyone until about three hours into the hike. Gradual incline to the beginning of the Mount Evans Wilderness Area, about five miles in. Some beautiful views in the more exposed areas, lots of tall trees and shade during most of the hike. Some rocky areas with some snow as of 4/30.

Sun Apr 15 2018

Trail conditions: mostly dry and muddy in spots. The aspens are still bare but spring is in the air and they should be glittering in no time. Quiet and secluded trail for a Sunday. Hiked a total of 4 miles and was on the trail for about 2 hours. Saw maybe 3 people. Not sure I would rate as moderate. Mostly easy and moderate in spots.

Sat Mar 10 2018

We did this hike today and it was great! Some incline, very beautiful area. We went up about 3 miles and came back. Was perfect! Nothing out there but Mother Nature

Mon Oct 23 2017

Cub Creek is about a 4 min drive from my house so I frequently hike it. There is rarely much city/tourist traffic due to the allure of the mighty Maxwell Falls nearby and after around 6 miles in or so, Cub Creek gets such little use that it is visually hard to pick up in spots. Also, the trail is quite remote once you get into the Mt Evans Wilderness area and you can stop and not hear any traffic or other noise that we are so accustomed to. The solitude is what makes this trail so great. Very cool mature stand of Aspen in a mile or so. Pretty easy to moderate trail with a very steady rate of climb (only 2,200ft gain over 5 miles). ACCESS UPDATE: There are NO private land access problems now once you get 4+ miles in contrary to many maps and trail reviews you may reference. Thank you Stransky Ranch family and USFS for working that out. Soon, I will be doing a multi-day backpacking trip to explore the connecting trails at the end of cub creek and to scout for Elk sign (GMU 39).