Learn more

Crystal Falls to Catamount Reservoir

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(57)
Pike National Forest

Crystal Falls to Catamount Reservoir is a 7.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Green Mountain Falls, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,870 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Glad I took some guests on it, was fun, but probably won’t do this one again. Be prepared for the initial climb. It’s sturdy and relentless. Good views, especially of Pikes Peak.

Little confusing where the trail crosses over near Crystal creek reservoir. Great views though. Loved catamount res.

Great trail! It was our first time and we loved it! Clean, not too crowded and super dog friendly.

icy

Did the whole 3 Reservoir loop today. This section of trail on the descent is 60 percent snow packed. I’ve never done the trail in summer, but it’s a difficult trail and easy to get off trail. AllTrails was a great help today. If you aren’t a pro member, a day like today is reason to join. Micro spikes or crampons highly recommended on this part of the trail.

Has anyone been on the trail recently? Thinking of going tomorrow.

Hike this trail with a buddy. Rocky with a lot of decomposing granite...very slippery! Great workout with a great ROI..the reservoir at the end!

This is basically the Catamount Trail’s (also listed on the app) big brother. Had a couple instances where we got off trail because there are at least 2-3 intersecting trails, but just follow the app and you’ll be fine.

I’m not sure what happened. I tried following the route provided. It started me out by walking up the main road in green mountain falls and then finally brought me to Thomas trail. Within .2 of the trail the route was a dead end at the water fall. I tried scrambling a bit but couldn’t get it figured out. Maybe I can go back and try to scout it better next time. Any advice would be appreciated.

Fri Nov 23 2018

Great hike! Was a little icy in many spots so you’ll need yaxtrax if you’re doing it soon. The trail is really tough to follow when you near pikes peak highway. We got yelled at by the trail dude when we were crossing the highway. Otherwise it was a great hike.

Sun Oct 28 2018

Challenging hike but with a great reward once you get past all the incline! I started around 7:30am on Saturday and didn’t see another person on the trail until my way back down. Highly recommend this one!

Thu May 31 2018

What a burn... 83 switchbacks. I love this trail.

Sun Apr 29 2018

Thu Sep 28 2017

You will need to park in the town of Green Mountain Falls and hike to the trailhead. Once at the trailhead, this trail starts on a seldom used trail with a steep incline with Spruce, Fir, and Pine surrounding the trail. Once you reach the top of the incline there are Aspens that are beginning to change to their fall colors. The first reservoir you reach is Crystal Creek Reservoir then South and North Catamount Reservoir, all have fantastic views of Pikes Peak and the surrounding mountains. Trail 360 on YouTube

Mon Sep 25 2017

Thanks!

Thu Aug 31 2017

Loved this trail! It's beautiful but be ready for some climbing. Most of the incline is concentrated at the beginning. Once you get to the reservoirs its smooth sailing.

Sat Jun 24 2017

Rewarding but steep hike. The scenery was beautiful. I went to the third reservoir and came back some diets roads for a total of 9 miles. it was an excellent day.

Wed May 17 2017

Steep trail. Several good loop options once at the top via ring the peak to catamount falls trail and mt. ester trail.