Crystal Creek Trail

Crystal Creek Trail is a 3.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Crawford, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.1 miles Elevation Gain: 770 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Winding through wildflowers, Gambel oak, aspens, conifers and a recovering burn area, Crystal Creek Trail is ideal for spring or fall hiking. Sweeping views of Cimarron Valley, the West Elk and San Juan Mountains can be viewed along the way. The trail ends at an overlook, 1800 ft. above Crystal Res.

definitely go in the morning or evening if going in august. very warm due to sun. spotted shade but view at the end was great. also great bathroom at trailhead.

Views along the trail that invite you to snap pictures. Gusty winds and clouds kept it cool for me.

Amazing views and through a variety of terrain (oak and pinyon scrub for the first third of the way, sage for the middle third, and fir and aspen forest for the last leg. My final hike with my jack russell terrier Lily! Rest in peace little girl and may you have happy memories of all the hikes we have done together!

Hiked this May 4th -- took snowshoes thanks to the last review and was glad to have them at the end to get to the first viewpoint. I didn't attempt going down to the second one, still lots of snow on a slope there and no path to follow. Views are just stunning, wonderful quick trail to do if passing by (and the road it's on is one of the nicest in Colorado)

Absolutely stunning views! We were rather idiots about it, though, and didn’t check trail conditions before setting out. Super deep snow (up to my mid thigh!) for the first 1/4-1/2 mile! We toughed it out and made it about 2/3 of the way to the turnaround point - wound up turning back at a snowy uphill section towards the end. But still worth it! So pretty and not very strenuous minus the trail conditions. Highly recommend! (Note: our puppy also loved it!)

Monday, July 23, 2018

My husband and I did this trail in mid July. Other than being quite hot and not much shade, we enjoyed it. Tip: take a right when the trail comes to a dead end (about 0.8 mile in), and then about 1.5 mile in take the fork that goes right down into the forest. It will spit you out at an overlook where you are looking down into the canyon! Great views. Bring lots of water and sunscreen!

Sunday, May 27, 2018

Took the left fork of the trail just under the the 1.3 miles make which lead to the top the mountain but not the view point that I really wanted to see. Should have taken the right fork but didn't find that our until I met another hiker on the way back. Nice views just not the one that I thought.

Friday, October 13, 2017

Just gorgeous, and ends at a truly spectacular overlook. However, wouldn't call it "hard" ~ more like moderate.

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Maintained trail with great views. Didn't get to the very end as the trail drops onto a shaded slope that was still snow covered (and it'd be a slide for life if you slipped while crossing the drift).

Sunday, September 02, 2018