Cross Creek Trail

Cross Creek Trail is a 25.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gypsum, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Trail starts on ridge ,then drops down to Cross Creek. There is a bridge and meadow s. See Mount of the Holy Cross after a 2 mile hike in.It's a long hike to the lakes,11 and 13 miles.Near the end of trail open meadows with wildflowers.Near the end is Treasure Vault Lake. Cross Creek is in the Holy Cross Wilderness.This is a long hike one way and many spots for camping.

I've hiked this trail three times discovering new features every time. I recommend hiking a mile beyond the bridge over Cross Creek for the outstanding views of Cross Creek from higher elevations. Many folks turn around at the bridge over Cross Creek which a very nice hike. But ther additional effort beyond the bridge is rewarded with wonderful views. I have met families hiking to this point beyond ther bridge who pitch a tent and stay overnight so they can fish the pools of Cross Creek. The wild flowers during late July and early August are outstanding. But if you don't want to hike this 600 foot gain in altitude which is very manageable, there are places even before you reach the bridge that offer an outstanding picnic location for a shor day hike. Be aware that the parking at the trailhead is limited. I recommend arriving at the trailhead at 9 AM or no later than 10 AM.

Monday, September 12, 2016

I was not a fan of this hike for a few reasons: 1) the hike immediately descends into lower elevation where the creek is and views are inhibited; 2) the terrain rolls up and down for miles gaining and losing elevation which plays tricks on your mind when you're on a long backpacking trip; 3) the hike is almost entirely woody until you reach Harvey Lake (Mile 11); and 4) the trail is badly maintained in parts and overgrown with dense, thick marsh in lowland areas. We hike in 9 miles and did one night before hiking back out. We only did this because neighboring Fall Creek Trail is shutdown due to wildfire. This hike is certainly not on my favorite list.

Friday, September 09, 2016

Awesome trail! We hiked in about six miles with one overnight stay. Great views and varied terrain with ascending and descending treks, open and rocky trails. Excellent water access for filtering. Weather was perfect.

Thursday, September 08, 2016

Great hike. About 30 minutes to the bridge. Fairly easy to this point with spectacular views of aspen, pine and mountain vistas.

Monday, September 05, 2016

I did this hike 20 years ago with friends when I lived in Vail. Came back today with my family. My daughter and husband loved it as much as I did. Its the perfect Colorado hike. Slight hills. Very cool bridge over the creek. Open Meadows. Side trail down to a waterfall. Amazing trees surrounding you the whole way.

Saturday, September 03, 2016

Saturday, September 03, 2016

Friday, September 02, 2016

Gorgeous

Wednesday, August 03, 2016

Perfect hike to the bridge with my 4.5 & 2.5 year-old. 1.4 miles from trailhead to creek crossing. Beautiful, interesting terrain, and 2 little stream crossings before the big one. We'll definitely do it again!

Monday, August 01, 2016

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Great trail. We didnt get to as much of the trail as we wanted to because we fished alot. beautiful mountain stream along the way. I liked that the trail started up into the mountain.

Thursday, June 23, 2016

This is hands down the best trail I have ever hiked. The way I have always done it is to start out on Missouri Lakes trail and cross over the pass to start out on Cross Creek trail from the end at Blodgett lake. I camp out at Mill Pond in the valley beneath Blodgett lake the first night and then travel down Cross Creek trail on the second day to a campsite near a bridge crossing. You will know it when you see it. The second day hike is all down hill and is crazy beautiful. You probably won't see a soul on the second day and you can take a quick side trail to Harvey Lake if you feel ambitious. On day three you can either hike out to the end of Cross Creek trail or you can take West Grouse mountain trail to Turquoise Lakes. The Grouse Mountain trail is seldom traveled and the trail disappears so you need to follow the rock cairns. Fishing is really good at the lakes and in the creek but they are generally small cut throat trout. Crazy nice trail and a must do if you are an avid back packer. If you go to Turquoise lakes and camp an extra night the last day out is all down hill and ends up at the base of Beaver Creek ski area where you can collapse and drink many beers!