Crosier Mountain via Gravel Pit Trailhead

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(84)
Roosevelt National Forest

Crosier Mountain via Gravel Pit Trailhead is a 7.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Glen Haven, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.7 miles Elevation Gain: 2,401 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Trail 1013 is steep with awesome views and joins Trail 931 at about 2 miles This can be a hike to Table Rock which is about 1.5 miles up the trail. There is a sign alonside the trail, a real nice place for a picnic. Or you can access trail 931 which is about 2 miles up the hill; and go to Glen Haven and walk back to your vehicle on CR 43. Or continue up the hill till you reach the summit of Crosier Mtn. Or Continue on trail 931 and exiting at the Garden Gate Trailhead (Drake) In order to do the last suggestion, have two vehicles and park one at the Garden Gate Trail Head (Drake). Good maps for the hike are from Trails Illustrated #101 Cache La Poudre-Big Thompson

Beautiful memorial day! Not too crowded if you start early (we started at 730). Did this trail before sightseeing the Stanley Hotel. Don’t stop until you get to the top or else you’re just wasting your time haha.

Beautiful, mostly heavily wooded trail with great views throughout. Very steep for the first 3/4 mile, i think it goes up almost 1000' in that distance. Got to the trailhead at about 7:15 am on Sunday and didn't see another person until I met up with the crossier mountain summit trail at the top, and it got pretty crowded after that. View from the top is spectacular.

The last 3/4 of a mile is pretty steep. But the hike offers beautiful views of large mountain plains and eventually a pretty stellar view of the Rockies! WATER! My fave hike in CO

I loved this trail. Got up to the trailhead about 7am, only one person. Im going to suggest changing the difficulty on this trail because even the sign on the trailhead lists it as difficult. It's very steep at the start, and levels out slightly before turning to the summit trail which is even more steep. Take your time and break when you need to because the summit views are amazing. Would hike this again for sure.

Great hike! The summit was windy and cold in mid May. I stayed constant with minimal rest! The last half mike up to the summit was challenging as it got steeper but well worth it!!

Really beautiful trail! The first mile and last 3/4 of a mile are a bit on the steep side, but definitely worth it.

Woodsy, rose quartz-laced steady climb to a rewarding summit. Trail was damp this morning but not muddy. I was the 5th car parked at the TH a little after 7am. Saw about 10 folks on the way to the summit, double that on the return. The parking lot was full (roughly 15 cars) when I got back to the TH at 10:40am. Nice option outside of the park.

The views from the top are amazing! The trail is a bit busy.

Absolutely loved this hike, so many great views the whole way up and the view at the top was amazing. Highly recommend!

Amazing hike. No snow on trail.

Really great hike with awesome views, especially at the summit! The beginning is pretty tough and the hike to the summit is steep at times, but we loved it! We started at 9am and were the only people on the trail. There were a handful of groups coming up on our way down. Not too muddy or snowy either. Would definitely recommend this hike!

3/25/20 Lovely day with scattered clouds. Trail is snow packed and easy to navigate. We wore spikes most of the way.

Hiked 2 miles in to the junction today then turned around and headed back. 1 other car at the trailhead; but didn't see any other people the whole time I was hiking (1 hr 45 m) About 75% of the trail was covered in snow, a little ice. Would suggest microspikes, and maybe trekking poles. Not enough snow for snowshoes yet. Very pretty trail, several nice lookouts! I'll be back again when I have more time and can go all the way to the summit. Pics and more beta here: https://www.backpacktheplanet.com/post/winter-hiking-crosier-mountain-part-1

Dog friendly trail. Great for conditioning. There are areas where the trail gets narrow and has overgrown grass/shrubs so be aware of ticks if you are bringing your dog. No garbage can or port o potty anywhere along Crosier Rainbow Trail or Crosier Mtn Summit trail.

Hot, afternoon hike and it was hot and dry. I drank 3L of water and ran out before the end with about .5 miles to go. Some nice scenery at times, the view up top is nice. Loose rock for most of the trail.

I liked the trail. Plenty of shade, mostly shaded actually. Nice view from the top for lunch. Very few people on a Thursday.

This is quite a bit more than a moderate hike. That being said, it is an amazing hike with a great payoff in terms of the view at the top. Hiked on a Monday, mid August, and there were NO other people at all all. The wildflowers and mushrooms were to die for (don’t eat mushrooms unless you absolutely are an expert and know what they are!). Beautiful mix of pine forest, aspen groves, and meadows with amazing wildflowers. Signs of either moose or elk but didn’t see any big animals, only chipmunks, squirrels and birds. Trail has a lot of loose rock and is definitely NOT a cakewalk. I was not prepared for this hike but would definitely do it again when in better shape.

Route was 8.6 miles according to phone GPS. Still worth the effort! Starts and finishes hard with a good stretch of easy/moderate in between. Finish on top of the world with views of Estes and Loveland. A dozen or so groups this Saturday morning.

A great day hike with minimal traffic. Good variety with a few spouts of tough grade to steady gentle grades going through woods, meadows and a “summit” with nice alpine vistas

Hiked on 6/15/19, and the trail was easy to access and follow. No snow. Limited parking, but we got there around 9:30 and were able to get a spot. I would rate this on the high end of “moderate,” since the first 3/4 mile and last 1/2 take a good amount of work. But the trail is worth it — beautiful forests, wildflowers, and a spectacular view.

Tue May 14 2019

This trail is absolutely wonderful. It is so quiet and void of people. The views are terrific. Definitely not an easy hike. It is pretty steep. Took us 40 minutes to get 0.8 miles. Will absolutely come back another time when there’s not a thunderstorm moving in. Loved it!!

Mon May 13 2019

Just to be clear at the start, I didn’t go all the way to the top of Crosier Mountain. I went to the saddle/trail junction and then off trail up the hill to the northwest. This is a beautiful hike. It would be even better in the fall because it goes through some stands of aspens. The trail was dry and well maintained to the junction. I will go back soon and finish.

Sun May 12 2019

Such a stunning hike! It's mostly shaded and you pass through such diversity! We went through an aspen grove and lodge pole pine forest. I consider thid trail hard. The hike to the summit was incredibly challenging but well worth it!

Mon Apr 22 2019

Way up is a little rough, lots of steep inclines but the view when you get to the top is so worth it!!! This is my favorite trail to date. Sign posted at trailhead warns against mountain lions, talked to a park ranger as we were going in who said he's seen them several times, FYI if you're hiking with a dog

Mon Apr 15 2019

Did this trial when I couldn’t get to triangle mountain. Happy I did it, only went the first two miles then turned around but beautiful views on the way up! Did with my dog and she loved it. Only thing I didn’t like how deep the woods you get and only saw two other people at the beginning- very unpopulated. Still some snow when I went as lots of shaded areas.

Wed Jul 18 2018

Had a great time on this trail. at the very beginning but my pup and I enjoyed it immensely. Camera died on the way up I'll have to do it again.