Crater Lake Trail is a 9.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Silverton, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

CRATER LAKE/ANDREWS LAKE/MOLAS PASS AREA. Guide books talk this one up and I feel they’re right!
What contributed to a good experience today is that it was a Wednesday afternoon start and we had realistic expectations we weren’t going to make the full out and back plus the weather was perfect—no chance of rain, nearly cloudless and 70 degrees even at 11,000 feet!

I made it to the Snowdon meadow though I found out from an overnight hiker on his way back (Ben) that I had picked an alternative path. The usual way to go to Crater Lake is the right fork of the “Y” that presents itself at the register box.

Memorable moments: Seeing a Western Osprey loop repeatedly over Andrews Lake both as I showed up and departed—then seeing a second one! Noticing the texture change underfoot as I went from sturdy dirt trail to mushy marsh then to crunchy dried pine needles littering the forest floor.

I will certainly be pleased to trek all the way to the lake. It’s a “definitely do it again” alpine hike with no-sweat trail access. Lovely!

Every section offered a new, breathtaking view. The trail was pretty easy - clearly defined, nice paths. A little more incline than I expected but still overall pretty easy. We passed a few people but it definitely wasn’t crowded. Our total mileage was closer to 11 miles and it took us under 6 hours to complete. We did sit at Crater Lake for awhile. The grazing alpacas were a surprise treat! Do this hike!

I had so much fun on this 3 day trip.. very good trail, rolling hills and climb.. both ways are good exercise but still easy/moderate. We had a lot of visitors like deer, birds, chipmunks, etc. I highly recommend this trail for a day hike, or backpack, or even to get someone hooked to the outdoors, because the views are breathtaking and the rewards are high.

Great trail and so worth it! It’s actually 5.7 miles to the lake (11.4 round trip), so it’s longer than advertised. Easy grade and well worth it though! Particularly if the flowers are blooming

Monday, August 14, 2017

Beautiful trail that's a real treat to experience.

Thursday, July 13, 2017

Technical in places with some major climbing involved. Beautiful, though. Absolutely stunning!

Saturday, July 01, 2017

Absolutely gorgeous, perfect temperature, hiked passed the lake to the mountain ridge where the views were spectacular.

Thursday, June 22, 2017

This hike is now accessible. It is a long hike, not hard, just long for a pretty small lake. What makes it worth it, is that it sits below Twilight Peaks.

Saturday, July 09, 2016

Soft trails, nice rolling terrain

Thursday, June 09, 2016

As of June 8, 2016, much of the trail is snow covered, making the real trail difficult to find.

Saturday, March 28, 2015

Hiking this trail,was great. Plenty of mountain scenery.It's wide open,andcan camp almost anywhere. Same lake on the way would be one great place to camp,unless you can backpack all the way to Cater lake. Then from the lake you can do a lot of back country hiking.2004-06-07

Sunday, August 24, 2014

My husband and I made this a day hike. WE were pretty pooped at the end of the 11 mile hike, but we are from TX and the elevation starting point was probably part of our issue. Beautiful hike. I was just a little disappointed in the lake. I'm not sure why, but I've seen others that I enjoyed more. Potato Lake or Spud Lake, for instance.
BUT, this was a beautiful hike. Just a bit too long for a day hike for us. We are still more comfortable w/ 5-7 mile hikes.

Sunday, June 29, 2014

This is a great day hike or easy backpack trip. I backpacked in and camp at the lake with my dog. It's a nice hike on a hot day as it's mostly in the forest, but you still get nice views. Unfortunately, some of those views are of the highway. There are some really muddy parts of the trail.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

With so many great trails in the Silverton, Durango area, I rated this one as a two star because so much of it at the beginning is close to HWY 550N that hearing the cars and seeing the power lines bothers me. I also find the trail, which I've hiked, and backpacked a bit boring by the time you get to Crater Lake. The views beyond Crater Lake and the views of the Twilight Peaks are great. I prefer other nearby trails to this on.

Monday, August 23, 2010

One of my top five favorite hikes ever! Absolutely beautiful and although this one is a bit longer, it is not a back breaker. Make a day of it and you'll never forget it!

recorded Andrews Lake Hike