Coyote Trail to Mule Deer Trail to Elk Trail Loop

moderate 54 reviews

Coyote Trail to Mule Deer Trail to Elk Trail Loop is a 6.7 mile loop trail located near Golden, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as moderate and offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,236 feet Route Type: Loop

icy

Great trail near Denver. If you go counter clockwise like the map most of the elevation is in the first mile. Very snowy and ice once you hit Mule Dear Trail. We wore Yak Trax most of the hike and we were glad we had them. Awesome views at Panorama Point. Very quiet today probably due to all of the ice.

Aspens were amazing today. good amount of shade throughout the trail. We arrived at the trailhead at 8:20 and had quite a few spots open still. We did mule deer first, coming back on Coyote. I think that way it probably easier for elevation gain.

Amazing trail with the changing of the trees. Would definitely recommend.

This was a beautiful trail! Mostly in the woods/shade but some gorgeous views also. I recommend starting to the left on the map. I went right & the 1st 1/4 of the trail was very challenging (steep, rocky & had to climb up rocks in a couple places). I arrived at 10 am on a Sunday - lots of parking still available at the trailhead. I saw quite a few other people & bikers on the trail, but was alone most of the time, especially on Mule Deer. Was definitely busier near Panorama Point. Aspens were starting to change - should be at peak in a week or so.

Some nice views near Panorama Point, and we found a nice rocky spot for lunch.

loved the hike. starting on coyote trail head first is steep.climb up for about 2 miles but then returning on mule deer trail was a more gradual descent. almost all of the hike was shaded with pine trees with a few amazing panoramic viewpoints. started 10am and finished around 1pm (3 hrs total)

Loved this trail lots of beautiful wild flowers. We saw 2 deer, hummingbirds, wood peckers, and squirrels. Beautiful views from Panoramic Point. We went on a Friday and only saw a handful of hikers

Quiet forest trail. Good lookout points at Panorama Point. We only saw people after hiking for 4.5 miles. started at 8am and done by 11.

It’s a decent trail. I think it’s highly accessible to a lot of people so towards the afternoon it’s pretty crowded. I got tired of yielding to mountain bikes. Some parts of the trail is pretty skinny, so if a mountain bike is coming up the hill you pretty much have to wait for a while for it to come up and pass you. Not a lot of viewpoints. Most of the time you’re in the woods. Not a lot of sun.

Wed Aug 29 2018

A quiet loop with great views and pleasant meadows

recorded Mule Deer Trail