Coot Lake Trail is a 1.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Longmont, Colorado that features a lake. The trail is good for all skill levels and offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 1.3 miles Elevation Gain: 29 feet Route Type: Loop

One of our favorite places to go with our dogs! They always have a blast playing around the shore and we love the views. I like to sit near the water and meditate

When one trail is “not quite enough” - sneak in two... I’m not quite “there yet” to run the gap between these two trails, but soon - yes soon! This one is a nice quick am run:)

The trail was clean & dry. Ice on the lake has completely melted so the dogs could swim. It was busy but there was plenty of parking across the street.

icy

Great sunset views of the flatirons! We connected part of the Boulder Reservoir with Coot Lake. The trail is a bit muddy and snowy but no micro spikes are necessary. Short but fun!

My favorite lake trail so far in Boulder/Longmont area. Beautiful views. Plenty of side trails for longer runs/walks. Busy but not too crowded. Will go back many times to run.

We take the dog up here daily in the summer months and as much as time/weather permits in the winter. The dog loves swimming in the lake and "hiking" to the backside of the res. The views are nice too, especially in the spring when everything is green.

This is a great place for dogs and easy hiking. I’ve been coming here for 7 months with my dogs and have never had a problem with any other dogs. My dogs love the water here, too!

This Is a great rolling Hills Trail. The view is lovely. There’s not too much traffic. I would do again.

No shade for the doggos so be aware of that. Easy friendly walk. I would recommend coming at dusk or dawn I bet the clouds would be beautiful and not as hot. Don’t forget bug spray

Wed Jun 05 2019

Beautiful trail and super easy walk, but there were a ton of off leash dogs (even during the week at 11:00). Also, only about half the trail is shaded, so if you have a shaggy black dog like mine bring lots of water. Other than that, the trail is great.

Sun Jun 02 2019

My favorite trail to run on! It’s also good for an easy walk with pets too. You can go around coot lake, or even turn off and go further out past coot lake and take a trail around the boulder reservoir. Great for running!

Thu May 30 2019

This is a nice nature walk on a flat, wide, packed dirt trail. About .25 mile of the trail is along the road and there is trafficnoise, but the rest is through wetlands preservation area.

Mon May 13 2019

Beautiful view. Fun walk with dogs.

Wed May 01 2019

Great for dogs to be off leash & for swimming!

Mon Apr 22 2019

I think this is a good trail if you want to be at a dog park, otherwise no. My son was attacked by an unleashed dog (there were so many running around off leash) I then had to let my dog go to defend my child. I would come back alone to walk around the lake but I would never bring my dogs or children here ever again, which is a shame because it's a great short walk with good bird watching opportunity.

Wed Mar 27 2019

Easy hike with open views. Lovely body of water with additional small side trails to explore. 7 or so parking spots at the trail head and LOTS of parking across the street.

Wed Mar 20 2019

So beautiful at sunset

Wed Oct 24 2018

great views of the mountains, pretty little lake. easy to walk, I usually take my dog and do 2 laps but sometimes I go alone and do 3 or 4 for fun. the path is pretty wide so don't need to worry too much about people like me that are just strolling around if you want to go faster. lots of benches to sit on and enjoy the scenery. my only complaint is the number of people that bag up there dogs waste and then leave the bags on the ground.

Wed Oct 03 2018

Very relaxed walk with great views! Just keep an eye out for snakes.

Thu Sep 20 2018

Thu Sep 13 2018

in the past we used this trail a lot. However, a couple of years ago, it started being patrolled daily by the city of Boulder animal control ticketing people for dogs swimming and being off leash. In the newspaper, they bragged of being there pretty much all of the time. It is under the control of the city of Boulder so those rules apply, and are very different from the Boulder County rules we were all following. it was just a convenient little county park. Too bad it became a highly - policed place to play with your dogs.

Wed Jul 25 2018

Dog owners please be cautious! Unfortunately last night our dog was bit by a rattlesnake in the tall grass around Coot Lake. We LOVE this area and go there 3-4 times a week and never had an issue until last night.

Tue Jul 03 2018

Nice trail. Great scenery.

Sun Jun 03 2018

Nice wide open space with lots of happy dogs and a lake. no elevation to speak of so not really a work-out, but certainly beautiful.

Fri Apr 27 2018

Nice pleasant hike with a lake and lots of happy dogs in it. Best during the week.