Learn more

Columbine Lake via Oscars Pass is a 8.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Ophir, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and backpacking and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length 8.9 mi Elevation gain 3,959 ft Route type Out & Back

Photos (32)
Recordings (4)
Completed (10)
Amy G
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Aug 21 2019
HikingBugsRocky

Holy moly. This trail. I’m giving it a 4 overall only because of the mosquitoes constantly buzzing in my ear. The mosquitoes get zero stars. The approach reminds me a lot of Antero if you’ve ever done that one. It’s a lot of loose rock and trail was an old road. We started off a little late around 830 and got to the top of the ridge next to Lewis Lake then back to the car by 1240. I was bonking pretty bad, but hubby was having a blast. It’s a very very steep trail and lot of loose rock. We got caught in a lightening/hail storm. Poor pupster was not happy. Wildflowers are out in full force! Get there soon to see them. Towards the bottom of the trail they were burnt from the Sun. Also yes park on the side of the road. Just make sure you aren’t in anyone’s way. There are a lot of people off roading up there. Overall good HARD hike. Bring bug spray. Beautiful scenery.

Pat Ribotto
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Feb 07 2017
Hiking

I hiked to Columbine Lake by going over Oscars pass from the Ophir side. Super steep up to Oscars Pass, then down the other side into Bridal Veil basin. You leave the old road/trail shortly after going over the pass, and follow a use trail down to the basin and make a cross country trek towards Lewis Lake. Once around the lake, there is another faint trail that ascends to Columbine Pass. From the pass, Columbine Lakes incredible blue color can be seen. A short hike cross country from this pass brings you down to the lake. On the way back, I chose the opposite side of Lewis Lake just to mix it up. The views are stunning on this route. It took me just over 2 hours from my truck to the top of Oscars Pass. My Garmin read 2.45 miles, and 2,740' of gain. Then about another half hour to get to Lewis Lake and just about 4 miles. Then another 10-15 minutes and I was on top of Columbine Pass. 4.6 miles total to here. It was right about 5 hours to Columbine Lake from my truck, but I was in no hurry either. 5.4 miles per my Garmin. A good mix of steep and then mellow hiking.

Chris Furlong
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Jul 03 2018
View Chris's Recording
Annie Feutz
View Annie's Recording
Sophie Glover
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Jun 08 2018
View Sophie's Recording