Columbine Lake Trail

Columbine Lake Trail is a 7.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Tabernash, Colorado that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, and birding. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This trail takes you through Indian Peaks Wilderness. Trail is well maintained and lightly traveled. A gradual up hill climb ends at the lake. Some areas are flat and easy while other parts require you to climb over hills and rocks. At 1.8 miles on the Caribou Pass Trail, take the right fork.

The gate is open up to the top of the trailhead now. There's quite a bit of snow up there still, as of this past Saturday, 6/17. We were the first ones on the trail that morning and found it difficult to follow at some points. We'd originally turned around about a mile from the lake, but ended up meeting up with a couple who was a little more familiar with the area and followed them up. I'd love to get back out there when the snow melts off a little more, as you can tell there will be tons of wildflowers. There's evidence of wildlife all over the place, but we didn't see any deer or elk, despite being on the trail early in the morning. Great hike! Your shoes will get wet!

Still a little snowy, especially the entire last mile. Beautiful views definitely worth it, though!

We tried to get up to this trail but were stopped by what may be a new gate. About 4.5 miles from trail head on USFS129 there is a gate with a sign that forbids motor vehicles on the road until after June 15. This gate doesn't show up on my Nat. Geo. trails map and might be new. Here is a link to the road status page: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/arp/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5308972

Beautifully diverse scenery. One of my favorites!

Quite a drive up to the trail head, but would be beautiful in September with all the aspens. Really nice trail and well maintained. Our 5 and 9 yr old loved the bridges, stepping stones, and crossing over the larger rocks. A bit muddy at times with the rain and some snowy spots. Plenty of photo opportunities with the meadows against the mountains and of course the lake. Took us 4.5 hrs with the kids.

Was a very fun hike, would do it again, it is cool in October because the lake is frozen over.

This hike was so much fun. I'm 14 and this was my first major hike it took around 4-5 hours round trip. I got caught up in there in a thunder storm and it was pretty cool. It was totally worth it.

Beautiful spot, definitely longer than you think but worth it. My second time on the trail and my beagles loved it!

Awesome hike. I concur, about 3.5 hours round trip. Lake is beautiful!! Don't worry about the distance, just follow the signs. Unless you have a very accurate device for measuring distance, you'll keep thinking you're almost there. One of my new favorite spots of creation.

The hike took 3 1/2 hrs round trip. I clocked 6.5 miles on my Fitbit. Well marked path with lovely views opening up throughout the hike. MANY roots & rocks along path so you need to look down at path where you're walking or you could easily trip! Lake is beautiful and worth the hike! When you reach the pond you're almost there!

Great moderate trail- over 3.5 miles up to the lake according to my Garmin Vivofit, so greater distance than what was described on the national forest website.

Nicely maintained trail. We especially appreciated the flat boulders strategically placed, like stepping stones, to get the hiker through a marsh with secure, dry footing. Beautiful wild flowers and one wood thrush with beautiful song. Didn't make it to the lake as we weren't confident our elderly knees could take the down climb. But picnic with Mtn views by the falls was a pleasure.

I measured 3.95 miles one way with a 1100 foot elevation gain.

Beautiful trail with amazing views.

Sunday, June 19, 2016

June 18, 2016 - trail became deeply snow covered about 100 yards after split from with the Caribou trail. Lots of post-holing and unable to keep track of the path. Didn't make the lake today. Planning on heading back in a few weeks.