Columbine Lake Trail

Columbine Lake Trail is a 6.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Silverton, Colorado that features a lake. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking.

To reach the trailhead of Columbine Lake Trail, travel about 7 miles north of Winter Park on US Hwy 40. Just before the town of Tabernash, turn right onto 84 Road (later known as FR 129) and follow the signs towards Meadow Lake.

This hike is straight up and is pretty much all switchbacks till you get past the tree lines. Unfortunately there was still huge snow patches past the tree lines (and we did not have snow shoes), so we rock climbed up on the left side. We got to the top (almost 13000ft up), and it was stunning, The lake is still frozen and under some snow, but we did see that turquoise color shining through some spots. My wife is a moderate backpacker and found it very difficult once we reached 12000 ft and still climbing up. We are going to come back late July to August, so I can actually see the lake.

I have hiked to this lake twice. Once along this trail, and once from the Ophir side. The color of the water in this lake is like nothing I've seen anywhere. It changes as the day goes on. Afternoon seemed to show it's color the best. Great views in all directions. This lake stands out on Google Earth with it's blue color, and it is exactly that color when you get there. That's what prompted this hike for me, had to see it.

Tough trail but worth it! Lots of beautiful wildflowers and wonderful lake at top.

Saturday, July 18, 2015

Great hike! Lots of uphill but well worth it.