Colorow Trail West and East Loop

Colorow Trail West and East Loop is a 3.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near New Castle, Colorado that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and mountain biking and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Great little quick hike or mountain bike ride located on the north side of Castle Valley Ranch subdivision on BLM Land. Steep climb up to overlook the Colorado River Valley and then back down. This trail is closed December 1 to April 15.

Hiked Colorow and Stairway to Heaven. Wonderful experience with great views and an extremely well cared for trail. Would def hike again!

Fantastic hike with great lookout point. The whole trail system up there is fantastic and well maintained. I would recommend taking different marked trails to explore even more!
Be wary of cacti and your pup. My dog got stuck twice but nothing major.
Some trails have quite a lot of bones due to the heavy presence of mountain lions. Worry not, though, as they’re all super old and sun-bleached and I’m pretty sure none of them are missing hikers ; )
Mountain bikers are always super respectful of hikers and people tend to leave no trash behind.
Also, just a heads up, it gets hot and it’s not particularly shaded. Bring lots of water for you and pup, as there’s no natural flowing water up there.
Have fun!

fun mild hike nice views! Great winter weather today.

Loved this trail. The minute you step onto the trail you immediately feel like you've left society and disappear into the woods although your right on the out-skirts of town still. It was a 15 minute drive from my house in Silt making it an easy trip. I took my dogs of 2 years and 4 months and they loved it. The beginning of the hike is steadily uphill and it really got my calves, hamstrings, and gluteus in action. While the rest of the trip was steadily downhill and really got my shins and thighs burning. Would not recommend for somebody with bad knees, but would highly recommend for someone's who's looking for a bit more than just a walk around the park. Will return.

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

The trail provides a scenic overlook of New Castle and it's ever growing subdivisions. It is moderate with some hard inclines at times. There are several unmarked (not much of anything is marked) trails that may or may not go to the main trail. It's worth doing once but I don't feel the need to go back. A great convenience for locals with dogs, I'm sure.

Sunday, May 14, 2017

I really liked this trail it had the perfect amount of steep areas and level ground areas. Lots of shade and a beautiful view of new castle from the top. on the way down there were a number of forks with no clear markers as to which was the main trail so we ended up making a little detour but luckily it seemed as though most of those off trails meet back up with the main trail at one point or another. if you're not familiar with the trail I'd suggest periodically checking the map to make sure you're goi bf the right way! overall a beautiful hike.

Thursday, May 11, 2017

Love this one!!! Really great views of our awesome town. This is a favorite to do regularly.

Sunday, May 07, 2017

Good hike. I wasn't in the best shape, and boy was it a climb! I didn't make it all the way out to the overlook as I was on a time crunch, but was a good spot. Hoping to make it back soon to do the whole thing. Make sure you bring water!

Wednesday, May 03, 2017

A pleasant forty minutes to the overlook spur. A great view of New Castle and surround topography. I went somewhat early and was greeted by neighbors walking dogs around the trailhead.

Saturday, April 08, 2017

Pretty hike above the water tank.

Tuesday, November 08, 2016

nice quiet clean trail. hiked to the spur overlook, beautiful view! took us 1 hr 10 minutes total

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

I hike it all the time. Love it!

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

A little hard to find the trail at first. The map had it marked to start in the town part of New Castle, but it's more up north into the neighborhood. We parked at Alder Park and went on the trail just across Alder Ave. Once you find the trail, it's pretty clearly marked. If you come the way we did, make sure to go straight when you have the option to go left, right, or straight about a 1/4 mile in.

We went during the week on a Wednesday and didn't see a single person the entire time.

The hike is decently challenging for those who hike infrequently. The view at the top overlooking New Castle is a good one. Worth the climb.

Friday, June 05, 2015

Great trail system and not heavily used. Much more to explore beyond the Spur Overlook.