Colorado Mines Peak and Blue Lake Trail

Colorado Mines Peak and Blue Lake Trail is a 3.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and snowshoeing and is best used from June until August. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is a steep hike up a service road with nice views. It was a very clear day so you could see for miles. There was also a nice variety of wildflowers along the way. I prefer hikes with varied terrain rather than service roads but the steepness provides a nice challenge.

Nice maintained fire road, steady grade to the top. Killer winds and a rewarding view!

Stopped for this hike on my way to Blues From the Top in Winter Park Saturday June 23d (Keepin' the Blues Alive!). Approx. 100 cars parked in Berthoud Pass lot, but most people went up alternative trails, so this one not too crowded. After most on this trail took a left fork to Mount Flora half way up, I only saw 2 people the rest of the way to the top. Trail has a steady grade up a well maintained jeep road all the way (apparently for vehicles to service equipment on summit), so trail not as picturesque as some others, but stunning views of surrounding peaks and north up the Front Range; and broad trail allowed a long-stride quick pace going down that felt great. It took me 1 & 3/4 hours to the top due to the altitude, just 45 minutes down. Gusty winds near the top, varying from 0 to 20 knots and back over several minutes.

Good hike! Did this one in mid March and the snow pack was decent. Used snowshoes the entire way and towards the top the snow got pretty deep. Definitely doable and worth the view!

Monday, August 07, 2017

Easy Hike for kids ranging 4 to 13, Pretty views at top.

Monday, June 26, 2017

I did this hike a few days ago, and it was beautiful! I live in the metro area, and the elevation didn't get to me too much on the main trail. I tried to make it to Blue Lake, which was amazing from the top, but it was a very steep hike down and it looked like it would be miserable to climb back up.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Amazing views from beginning to end! Make sure to go in the morning to get back before afternoon storms roll in.

Monday, January 26, 2015

Fun spring snow hike. (5-2014)

Tuesday, July 01, 2014

This was my first hike at this elevation, and the 1.5 mile climb up the mountain took me a solid 90 minutes. I had to stop frequently to catch my breath and drink water. Fortunately the trail itself is rather easy: it's basically a dirt road that zig zags up the mountain. But the elevation can get to you, at least if you're from out of town like me.

The views on the hike and from the summit are incredible. Makes the drive from Denver (75 minutes) and the hike completely worth it.

Apparently it gets crowded on weekends, but I hiked this on a Monday morning and there was not a single person on the mountain until I made my descent (which took half as long as my ascent).

Thursday, July 20, 2017