Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Coffee Pot OHV Road is a 29 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Gypsum, Colorado that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for fishing and off road driving and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 29.0 miles Elevation Gain: 5,095 feet Route Type: Point to Point

ohv / off road driving

ohv/off road driving

Road is easy to find, easy to drive, just outside Dotsero. Camping by the river is available near the start of the road. There’s a restroom there too. The road was clear for about 6 or 7 miles, Maybe more. We were up there March 18th. We made it up to a snow field that we could drive through. There were a few other tracks through already. Weather changes quickly so we headed down and camped in site #2 by the river. Beautiful and isolated. Nice to stay away from this coronavirus.

ohv/off road driving

Not much hiking for the road itself... though driving is nice. Pretty easy mostly dirt road with some mud puddles currently. Couple of offshoot 4x4 trails for more off-roading fun. We made it to approx. mile 18 and had to turn back due to snow. Might have been able to make it but nothing to winch onto if started to slide off the road. Soon it will be gone though! We look forward to taking a 4x4 trail off to camp farther away from everyone.

Fri May 03 2019

Fri Jun 01 2018

Super nice view to wake up to in the morning out of your tent. Beautiful.

Mon Jan 15 2018

Before I go into my little story about coffee pot road, I'll start by saying the pictures posted DO NOT do this trail justice. Yes, it is a very easy smooth trail with no big obstacles and any skill level could drive it (weather permitting! You'll see why!), but it still goes pretty damn high up the side of the mountains with not much room between you and the almost strait drop down the side! The views are so gorgeous! From the photos posted, I thought this trail was gonna be flat and at the bottom of a valley, not high in the mountain tops! So glad what we got was not what I expected. So, my little story now. My aunt and I decided to drive up Coffee Pot Road on our way to Glenwood Springs. I'm used to driving my Jeep Wrangler JKU but I flew to Colorado instead of driving this time. I figured coffee pot road would be fine for her Nissan Murano (cuz the trail is rated easy, and she does have 4WD). And it was, until we got up to the plateaued top and the snow suddenly went from compacted and hard, to soft and fluffy. We instantly sank down at least whole foot, if not more, in the snow and were stuck for almost 2 hours. Seriously, we were driving along just fine, slow of course cuz of snow, when we very suddenly SANK. We were so deep the muffler was laying in the snow and you couldn't see through to the other side no matter where you looked under her car! Ha! We were able to dig ourselves, but be careful if you go up in the winter and you don't have something with bigger tires and a higher clearance! Luckily we got stuck at the top where, like previously mentioned, it plateaus off and it was more like being in a huge field and not the side of the mountain. My jeep would've been fine LOL!! It could've been a bad situation, since we hadn't seen any other ppl for over 2hrs, but it was such a blast for us adventurous gals! We were so proud we didn't have to call for help! Can't wait to drive this (and other trails!!) in my own vehicle! Check out my recording if you want to see where we got stuck!! It's not the very end of my recording, but it's the spot that is the furthest out we went, which is close to where I stopped recording.

Fri Oct 14 2016

Great camping. Perfect sunsets.

Sat Apr 09 2016

It was a beautiful day for a drive so we gave this trail a shot even though it is pretty early in the season. Road was in pretty good shape but low clearance vehicles might have trouble about 5 miles in where people drove up the road when it was muddy. The scenery is breathtaking. The road is easy though lots of narrow places and blind switchbacks. I have pictures I will upload later. We had to turn around at 10.7 miles in due to deep snow covering the road. We saw turkeys, lots of ground squirrels and a mule deer. I'm going back in a few weeks when the road is completely open. The road starts off right next to Deep Creek and then turns up into the hills. So if you want to see the creek up close do it in the first 2 miles.

Thu Jun 06 2013

After Deep Lake you need high clearance and 4x4. Before that a car could make it, normally.

Thu Aug 04 2011

Easy ride for most vehicles but bumpy. We averaged 25 MPH on most of it. Be sure to checkout the Deep Creek Overlook.

Sat Mar 30 2019