Coffee Pot Road

Coffee Pot Road is a 29 mile point-to-point trail located near Gypsum, Colorado that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

off road driving

Before I go into my little story about coffee pot road, I'll start by saying the pictures posted DO NOT do this trail justice. Yes, it is a very easy smooth trail with no big obstacles and any skill level could drive it (weather permitting! You'll see why!), but it still goes pretty damn high up the side of the mountains with not much room between you and the almost strait drop down the side! The views are so gorgeous! From the photos posted, I thought this trail was gonna be flat and at the bottom of a valley, not high in the mountain tops! So glad what we got was not what I expected. So, my little story now. My aunt and I decided to drive up Coffee Pot Road on our way to Glenwood Springs. I'm used to driving my Jeep Wrangler JKU but I flew to Colorado instead of driving this time. I figured coffee pot road would be fine for her Nissan Murano (cuz the trail is rated easy, and she does have 4WD). And it was, until we got up to the plateaued top and the snow suddenly went from compacted and hard, to soft and fluffy. We instantly sank down at least whole foot, if not more, in the snow and were stuck for almost 2 hours. Seriously, we were driving along just fine, slow of course cuz of snow, when we very suddenly SANK. We were so deep the muffler was laying in the snow and you couldn't see through to the other side no matter where you looked under her car! Ha! We were able to dig ourselves, but be careful if you go up in the winter and you don't have something with bigger tires and a higher clearance! Luckily we got stuck at the top where, like previously mentioned, it plateaus off and it was more like being in a huge field and not the side of the mountain. My jeep would've been fine LOL!! It could've been a bad situation, since we hadn't seen any other ppl for over 2hrs, but it was such a blast for us adventurous gals! We were so proud we didn't have to call for help! Can't wait to drive this (and other trails!!) in my own vehicle! Check out my recording if you want to see where we got stuck!! It's not the very end of my recording, but it's the spot that is the furthest out we went, which is close to where I stopped recording.

Friday, October 14, 2016

Great camping. Perfect sunsets.

Saturday, April 09, 2016

It was a beautiful day for a drive so we gave this trail a shot even though it is pretty early in the season. Road was in pretty good shape but low clearance vehicles might have trouble about 5 miles in where people drove up the road when it was muddy. The scenery is breathtaking. The road is easy though lots of narrow places and blind switchbacks. I have pictures I will upload later. We had to turn around at 10.7 miles in due to deep snow covering the road. We saw turkeys, lots of ground squirrels and a mule deer.
I'm going back in a few weeks when the road is completely open.
The road starts off right next to Deep Creek and then turns up into the hills. So if you want to see the creek up close do it in the first 2 miles.

Thursday, June 06, 2013

After Deep Lake you need high clearance and 4x4. Before that a car could make it, normally.

recorded Coffee Pot Road