Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Coal Creek Trail - Louisville to Lafayette

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(152)
Lousiville Sports Complex

Coal Creek Trail - Louisville to Lafayette is a 8.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Lafayette, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 8.4 miles Elevation Gain: 318 feet Route Type: Out & Back

bridge out

This is a gentle trail that follows the coal creek from Louisville to eastern Lafayette. There are a few picnic table in shady places next to the creek. It is used for family biking and easy runs. NOTE: About 0.5 miles of the trail is temporarily closed due to construction during summer 2004. This is the dotted part on the map

My rating is based on this path compared to other similar paths for in town walking. Lots of shade, along a creek, low to medium traffic on a weekday during covid. Very pleasant! Some paved some gravel. Only one hill to speak of on the route we did. Could have connected it with other trails and gone super far! Other people posted reviews that say it’s confusing. All you need to do is stay by the creek if there is a branch that goes away from the creek. Sometimes the whole trail departs from the creek but as long as you always choose the creek, it’s easy!

I agree that the trail could be better marked at turns, but for what it’s worth, you just follow the river bed the whole time. If you do that, then you’ll stay on trail.

Wish I could accurately rate this trail but it was so poorly marked that I ended up running a different 8 mile stretch that ran North toward Waneka Lake (Missed turn off and took Harney Lastoka north). Overall the first couple of miles were good but quickly realized that the entirety of the run takes place in a heavily residential area. Light pollution and sewage smells made my stretch not ideal. Path was good and well maintained.

nice easy trail, well kept. saw prairie dogs and 2 coyotes. very few people on the east side of the trail. Like no one for a couple miles. great for a sunset ride.

Trail is not posted out well and have to guess which way to go unless you’re looking at the map constantly, which isn’t ideal when running

Great trail with lots of places to access it. Well maintained for the most part with the exception of a couple of underpasses that can get flooded and muddied up at times. But there are easy ways around these if necessary. Some good shade in areas depending on where you are on the trail. The river is very nice and soothing and the trail follows it for the most part but does wander away here and there.

bridge out

We have tried three times in the last five weeks to ride this trail. We have failed each time to be able to find full trail or stay on it. The trail is very poorly marked for biking. There are many neighborhood connectors that are poorly marked. The trailhead in Erie is closed due to bridge construction and the detour trailhead is not marked at all. Overall we were able to ride 10 miles each time but not on the trail we thought we were on. The pictures we are posting are the only signage we have seen on the trial.

Add

super hot no shade not really way to get to river

This is a nice, leisurely, easy trail to walk. Yes, you are walking in a more “urban” area, but there’s a little creek that follows the trail and cows and green grass so it’s still a nice little stroll. Bonus: it’s near by kid’s gymnastics so I can walk while she is in practice!

Mon Apr 29 2019

I was not expecting half the trail to be wandering behind a home division. A nice day out, but a bit too “urban”. Did enjoy the creek and the cow pastures! Poor signage; had to keep checking the app. The “end” of the hike is not an end at all, just a random decision to call it good enough than turn around.

Mon Mar 25 2019

First ride of the season! : )

Mon Mar 25 2019

A good easy trail for all. I wish I would have had time to do more.

Sun Mar 24 2019

Amazing and beautiful walk!!

Went for a nice walk with my sweetie, and was pleasantly surprised by all the ducks we saw and birds that were chirping—a nice accompaniment to the background sound of the creek trickling : ) This trail is great for a mellow, meditative walk.

Sun Mar 17 2019

Sat Mar 16 2019

Wed Jan 16 2019

Nice mostly off road trail. Well pathed. Good for walking also biking. Can continue on the Coal Creek trail instead of onto Louisville.

Thu Nov 22 2018

This is a nice, open trail. It is good for young horses and even had a bridge to practice crossing. Please, if you are on a multi use trail and horses are allowed, try to be polite and courtious to riders. We usually meet really nice runners and bikers who understand to slow down, say hello. Today we had the unpleasant e experience of truly rude trail runners. When I called "hello" they wouldn't answer and when they did not slow down when I asked, I stopped my horse and waited for them to pass. As they passed one made some nasty comment about us. Really people! So rude. Then later they were on part of the trail above us and yelled at us that we shouldn't have untrained horses on a trail. Totally unnecessary. Any horse, well trained or green, we would like you to speak to us as you pass so out horses know you are human. That's why we say hello. So, if you can't just be polite, head for a trail that doesn't allow horses.

Sun Aug 05 2018

This is a nice trail for a run or for an easy-going walk. There are a few rolling hills, but it doesn't have anything too strenuous. True to its name, Coal Creek meanders near much of the trail, which is nice plus. The Louisville section has a decent amount of shade, but once you get to the prairies in Lafayette towards Erie it is pretty exposed. The prairie dog field is fun to run through, though. Really nice view of the Flatirons in Aquarius open space going west towards Louisville. Overall, I wouldn't go out of my way for this trail, but it is nice for those who live nearby.

Mon May 28 2018

good bike ride along creek and homes. nice views. not hard

Mon May 07 2018

Nice easy path, very pretty right next to the river

Tue Mar 13 2018

Just an easy ride after work. Nothing notable just a nice path.

Wed Mar 07 2018

we started in Erie and connected to this trail just South of the town. Wide, mostly flat dirt trail with great views. No shade so only for cool days. very nice riding, nothing technical at all.