Learn more

Church Camp Meadow Trail is a 3.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Durango, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.9 miles Elevation Gain: 423 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Please be respectful and do not attempt to hike to the waterfall as it is on PRIVATE PROPERTY.

27 minutes ago

Great, easy hike to get some weekly mileage in.

Great easy trail for little kids. I didn’t know what to expect by meadow trail but it was beautiful with mountains all around and an easy walk. We didn’t make the whole thing though so didn’t get to experience any of the views on the ridge. Wasn’t very many people at mid day on weekday. Windier than I expected, but perfect day for a hike.

private property

This is a nice, easy, short hike very close to downtown, yet because it’s situated in a different valley it feels far away, and not many people go there. There are multiple places to park along the road, but my recommendation is to park in the main area, which is the first you come to on the right. Pick up the trail headed north. When it splits the first time, stay to the right. Nothing is signed and there are lots of different trails, which can be confusing. But just keep going north. At some point you will come to what looks like a little saddle between the ridges. At this point, take the trails that heads up onto the ridge. The trail makes an easy climb then continues north along the top of the ridge, providing really nice views. To make this a loop, there is a steep descent at the north end of the ridge. Personally, I think it’s a nicer walk to retrace your steps. You’re not missing much by doing it as an out and back versus a loop. But if you want the loop, take this steep descent which will leads you, eventually, back to the meadow.

Great for families, dogs, horses and mountain bikes.

Beautiful views and easy trail with great access. We had our pup with and she was able to interact with other dogs (which she loved). Great for all skill levels and great to do when you only have a little time but want fresh air.

Nice trail, quite open gentle grade great views

recorded Church Camp Meadow Trail

Terrific trail. Easy to route find and gorgeous views. Definitely a good one for someone from out of town adjusting to altitude or, like me, recovering from a longer hike the day before. Ample parking at the trailhead.

This is a popular trail, filled with dogs, kids, mtn bikes and horseback riders. Great photo opportunities of the nearby mountain range. We went with our kids and they did well and struggled on some of the downhill sections. Some hikers mentioned a rattlesnake on the trail but we never saw it. Good combo of sun and shade. The trail lacks signage and has many off shoots. The drive up was very pretty, and I’d say this trail is a gem within close proximity of Durango.

I absolutely LOVED this trail! The view is gorgeous and breathtaking Friendly people, space, clean trails, and views made it an awesome experience. Definitely coming back!

Hidden Valley is beautiful. Great easy hike. Multiple trails through the valley. I followed All Trails track out and a different trail coming back to make a nice loop. You can go part way down a trail next to Falls Creek.

If it was like this year round I’d give it 3 out of 5 as it was very muddy. If you are a first timer during winter or snow on ground avoid taking loop at the end as very steep and slippery. I gave this a 5 as it (when it good condition) is perfect for anyone whether it be an avid hiker or a beginner

Great hike on a multi-use trail. Lots of mountain bike tracks but we didn’t see any but we did see lots of dogs

Great for kids! I would suggest driving a little further down the road and park b/c there isn’t much shade unless you head up the mountain a bit. We didn’t go the full length and didn’t find the waterfall.

People let their dogs run loose...one woman had four running loose. Said the regulation wasn't enforced so she didn't follow it. People that that are ruining it for others. You only have to follow rules if you might get caught? Wonder if she teaches that to her kids and grandkids?

Overall, this trail was nice, but poor markings, and secondary trails that shot off in other directions made it difficult to navigate (had to backtrack several times), causing our trek to take longer. The open fields at the beginning of the hike were a personal favorite of mine.

really nice easy hike close to durango.

Sat Jul 06 2019

Recommend taking the “red” southernmost/right fork for a less strenuous hike. My family had some difficulty with steep areas of the left/blue dashed fork. If you drive another half mile down 205 you can trim off some of the unshaded meadow part of the hike.

Sun Jun 30 2019

Tue Jun 25 2019

Fun basic hike with lots of flat. Good waterfall as highlight.

Mon Jun 17 2019

What do the red lines mean on the trails ? Do you follow the blue dotted line to the waterfalls or the end of the red line?

Sun Jun 16 2019

This is a nice trail with a LOT of off-shoots. Had to keep looking at gps to stay on target. Very steep decline down a runoff toward the waterfall. We didn’t even want to attempt to come back up that steep clay wash, so we found a trail that takes you back to the road and just walked 2 miles back to the car on the asphalt.

Mon Jun 10 2019

Great hike with kids! Hard getting to the falls but once you find them it’s beautiful! My daughter loved it but the hike back was a little tiring for her.

Sun May 12 2019

Always a great day hike. Waterfalls were raging this time of year.

Mon May 06 2019

Good hike on a cool or overcast day. Very little shade. Fairly busy on the weekend and expect lots of off leash dogs (one of the reasons I picked this trail). Not well marked at all, with random trails diverging all over the place. Would have never found the falls without following the All Trails GPS as I was able to tell when I took the wrong trail. Lovely waterfall at the end though.

Wed Aug 22 2018

No shade or water, but nice open space on a cooler day.