Learn more

Chinaman Gulch and Carnage Canyon OHV Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(32)
Buena Vista, Colorado

Chinaman Gulch and Carnage Canyon OHV Trail is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Buena Vista, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for ohv/off road driving and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,601 feet Route Type: Loop

ohv / off road driving

Popular hard-core route open all year One of the most popular motorized recreation trails in Colorado for both licensed and unlicensed vehicles. Minimal snow and close proximity to the front range makes it a popular winter destination. If you continue east past the parking area, you'll find the entrance to Carnage Canyon, a nationally recognized extreme trail. Stay on established routes at all times. Located on BLM land. For current conditions call the BLM Royal Gorge Field Office in Cañon City at 719-269-8500. Narrow and sandy with isolated rock obstacles, some with bypasses. Best suited for modified vehicles with larger tires, lockers and skid plates. Some aggressive stock SUVs can manage this trail with an experienced driver and a good spotter, however, body damage is possible. Optional Carnage Canyon is extreme and for highly modified vehicles only.

43 minutes ago

This fuckn guy with 2” and 31s. Not a goddamn chance. Bring a limited slip in the back with 35s. These rouge posts are getting old. Fukn loser.

ohv/off road driving

did chinamens in a xj on 2 inch's of lift and 31s. some pretty gnarly obstacles. long drive from Greeley but totally worth it.

ohv/off road driving

Took my rzr1000 on this trail did everything on the trail without any issues at all. Carnage canyon on the other hand is way to gnarly for a rzr I got stuck very quickly in there. But the loop was an awesome time would deff do it again.

My brother and I hiked this trail today and completed it in about 3 1/2 hours. It was a good exercise for us, as the trail has several steep climbs and descents. We’re fairly athletic and based in KC. Trail conditions were good. The trail was well-travelled and offered several opportunities to climb rocks to get beautiful vistas. I frequently found trash and parts from Jeeps on the trail.

Sun Jun 09 2019

Short and sweet for the properly equipped vehicle. Good times

Thu Jun 06 2019

I laid my samurai on its side on this one.

Thu May 23 2019

great trail with some technical stuff on it. allows you to see what your rig can really do.

Wed May 08 2019

great time for anyone who wants to put their rig to the test!

Sun Jan 06 2019

Did Chinaman Gulch about a year ago in an 80 series land cruiser w/ 35's. Was a great, fun trail.

Mon Dec 17 2018

First time on the trail. Great views. Went in mid December, with very little traffic!

Mon Aug 13 2018

Great trail, with some good challenges throughout will definitely do it again.

Sat Nov 18 2017

this trail was a blast! came up for the Set them Free fundraiser 2017 and had a blast! I just put gears and lockers in my TJ and definitely put them to use! my jeep is on 4" with 35s though we did have a guy on 3" with 33s and open diffs and still did good! one of the best I've done and definitely coming back! but this time with rock sliders so I can add some of the harder obstacles to my list like the rock pile.

Thu Jul 27 2017

My wife and I took our stock '17 JK & JKU Rubicons through The Gulch Loop with our 4x club. We knew it would be a challenge and were not disappointed. We held our own for the most part and made it through with several new scrapes on our rails, under armor, and bumpers, plus additional Colorado pin-striping, I lost my rear license plate mount to a large root in the riverbed, and my wife, her left-rear fender flare with a large rock on the hill. All in all, we didn't fare much worse than the more capable rigs. I think the lockers and veteran spotters were the key. However, we won't be going back until we get lifts, at least 35" tires, and winches, but we look forward to it. Several well experienced members of our group commented on how much more challenging this trail is now as compared to what it was even a year ago, so take the above description and equipment suggestions as gospel. I wouldn't suggest taking any stock vehicle there now, the trail is just physically too washed out and some damage is inevitable.

Sat May 27 2017

It would be really fun and your jeep but it's not really a walking trail.

Mon May 28 2012

Left Denver at around 11am and completed the trail by around 4. Great time and tough trail. I have a stock rubicon and had no trouble. Dents and dings.... I now have a few. Ready to hit the trail again after I install my lift and 37s.

Wed Jun 26 2019