Chinaman Gulch and Carnage Canyon

Chinaman Gulch and Carnage Canyon is a 8.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Buena Vista, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

scenic driving

Popular hard-core route open all year One of the most popular motorized recreation trails in Colorado for both licensed and unlicensed vehicles. Minimal snow and close proximity to the front range makes it a popular winter destination. If you continue east past the parking area, you'll find the entrance to Carnage Canyon, a nationally recognized extreme trail. Stay on established routes at all times. Located on BLM land. For current conditions call the BLM Royal Gorge Field Office in Salida at (719) 539-7289. Narrow and sandy with isolated rock obstacles, some with bypasses. Best suited for modified vehicles with larger tires, lockers and skid plates. Some aggressive stock SUVs can manage this trail with an experienced driver and a good spotter, however, body damage is possible. Optional Carnage Canyon is extreme and for highly modified vehicles only.

off road driving

this trail was a blast! came up for the Set them Free fundraiser 2017 and had a blast! I just put gears and lockers in my TJ and definitely put them to use! my jeep is on 4" with 35s though we did have a guy on 3" with 33s and open diffs and still did good!
one of the best I've done and definitely coming back!
but this time with rock sliders so I can add some of the harder obstacles to my list like the rock pile.

off road driving

My wife and I took our stock '17 JK & JKU Rubicons through The Gulch Loop with our 4x club. We knew it would be a challenge and were not disappointed. We held our own for the most part and made it through with several new scrapes on our rails, under armor, and bumpers, plus additional Colorado pin-striping, I lost my rear license plate mount to a large root in the riverbed, and my wife, her left-rear fender flare with a large rock on the hill. All in all, we didn't fare much worse than the more capable rigs. I think the lockers and veteran spotters were the key. However, we won't be going back until we get lifts, at least 35" tires, and winches, but we look forward to it. Several well experienced members of our group commented on how much more challenging this trail is now as compared to what it was even a year ago, so take the above description and equipment suggestions as gospel. I wouldn't suggest taking any stock vehicle there now, the trail is just physically too washed out and some damage is inevitable.

It would be really fun and your jeep but it's not really a walking trail.

Monday, May 28, 2012

Left Denver at around 11am and completed the trail by around 4. Great time and tough trail. I have a stock rubicon and had no trouble. Dents and dings.... I now have a few. Ready to hit the trail again after I install my lift and 37s.