Chihuahua Gulch Trail

Chihuahua Gulch Trail is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Dillon, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Vail: Travel 29 miles east on I-70 to Silverthorne. Travel east on U.S. Highway 6 past Keystone, turn right onto Montezuma Road,FDR 5. Follow this road for 4.6 miles, turn left onto Peru Creek Road, Forest Service Road 260. Go about 2 miles, to the Chihuahua Gulch four wheel drive road on the left.

Beautiful trail! Take a snack to eat at the top!

This was a beautiful hike all the way around. We started hiking from Chihuahua Gulch road. We made it to the lake in about 3 hrs. However, the last trail to get to the lake was more like ROCK CLIMBING. It was hard, as the rocks were loose!! We made it to the top but the clouds were rolling in and it was freezing. So we started to head back. It was just as scary and hard going down the mountain, having to climb on unstable rocks .

Great trail with some challenging uphill at the end of the hike, and very rewarding mountain views.

Make sure you do not follow the map above (in all trails). This map is actually the ruby gulch trail.

If you want to go to chihuahua trail- as previous people have stated- stay LEFT and you'll find your way.

Whatever you do, do not follow this map on your gps. Make sure you are walking towards the lake if you are going to use the gps.!

Otherwise- beautiful hike, beautiful changes to the trees and colors.

Awesome hike! absolutely beautiful. Stay left when you come to the first fork and to the right of the stream is a board which makes crossing easy.

First time I hiked into Ruby Gulch instead of following left. Yesterday I finally made it to Chihuahua Lake. From the trailhead you follow upward until the path bends to the left and there's a nice camping spot. The first river crossing has a wood board bridge just to the right if you look for it, the first time I used the log. You follow on through a rock field that opens up into a gorgeous gulch with a rocky west wall (Mt Lenawee?) and to your right Ruby Mtn, Grays and Torrey's. Once you run into a stream that splits, head to the left, IF YOU GO TO THE RIGHT YOU END UP IN RUBY GULCH (in between Grays and Ruby Mtn, the Southwest Route to Grays) and the remnants of the Blue Danube Mine.
Next you follow north towards the lake (you can't see). I let our dog off the leash here. To the left in the rocky edge of the Mtn a coyote started barking at my border collie. Apparently this is a common reaction coyotes have to dogs as a warning of territory.
We followed on and the last mile stretch was the most difficult as you climb up with a little bit of scrambling the hillside and around to the lake. You head up left near the saddle between Lenawee and Torrey's and find a small pond. Just a little further on you will find the beautiful, turquoise, pristine, alpine lake. Once we were at the lake the clouds and wind made it chilly enough I put my beanie and gloves on. On the way down a man was heading up with his fishing pole. I tracked the hike as 8.08 miles, 3hrs 46min, with 1906.2 elevation gain. Not for the inexperienced hiker. Beautiful!! I live in Summit and want to come back next summer and try to find the century old cemetery on the east hillside. Apparently, Chihuahua once was a Silver mining town that thrived with about 200 people and 50 buildings. A devastating fire and the end of the Silver Rush put an end to this town.

This has now become my favorite trail. It's beautiful, the wild flowers were everywhere, the biggest valley meadow I've ever seen, you hike along the west side of Grays and Torreys, there's a beautiful lake at the top....need I go on

Had a great time. Loved all the amazing views! Not as hard as I thought it would be at all!