Chief Mountain Trail

Chief Mountain Trail is a 3.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.1 miles Elevation Gain: 984 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This trail offers great views of the Rockies in the Arapaho National Forest. The hike is a steady incline through a pine forest, thinning out at the top, with breath taking 360 degree vistas. Prominent peaks such as Pikes and Longs are easily visible. The path is rocky, well maintained, and well marked. Roadside parking may be limited on weekends.

This trail was great! I'd consider it a moderate workout. I'm glad I had microspikes. It was a good snow packed trail and I think it would be fine without spikes, but they definitely made it easier! The wind at the summit is no joke!! I'm really glad I had extra layers and scarf/ hat/ gloves! The view from the summit is incredible!!

Hiked 12/8- lots of snow and slippery but mostly packed snow. Absolutely stunning views at the top. Totally worth it! Neither my husband nor I wore spikes, just trail running shoes.

recorded Chief Mountain Trail

great 360 degree views. Spikes/poles not required but would be helpful

No mikrospikes needed for the trail, hard packed the whole way up. If you get off trail you might be doing some post-holing.

recorded Chief Mountain Trail

icy

Hiked morning 11/24/2019. Very windy! Very snowy! Very FUN! Drive carefully on Squaw Pass Rd- parts are not clear of snow and ice. Most snow on the trail is packed down by other hikers, but I definitely recommend microspikes.

Great hike, decent amount of snow for November but it was packed down by other hikers. Amazing views at the top!

Hiked 11/23. One of my favorite hikes. Beautiful views at the top. Not overly crowded. Spikes would have been nice but completely doable without!

Beautiful trail! Short and rewarding hike with stunning 360 views at the top. It was a little crowded at the top but still worth it. Will definitely be coming back!

Hiked on 11/17. Arrived around 12pm and had no trouble parking. Microspikes definitely necessary for the packed snow. Quick, semi-steep hike with a BEAUTIFUL view from the top!

Had the summit entirely to myself at 930 on a Saturday! Beautiful snow and views. Used spikes and had no problems, snow shoes would have worked too. Short hike with great payout at the top.

icy

All I can say it it has some breathtaking views at the top!

icy

A steep climb for me, but I did it. Amazing views at the top. Took 1:45 round trip. Slipped on ice a few times. Wish I had spikes

icy

Icy trail till the top then it was dry. I wore micro spikes and my friend had running shoes. No one fell so that’s a success. Pretty views of the mountains from the top. Parking is on the street. All trails directions are accurate to the trailhead.

icy

Trail was mostly packed snow. Some parts were icy but wore lightweight hiking shoes and got up and down fine. (Would still recommend spikes for an easier walk down.) AMAZING 360 views on top. Definitely worth the hike up! Parking was off road so come early to get a good spot. Cold and windy up top, be sure to layer up.

Great short hike. The snow was packed but not terribly icy except for in a few places. Spikes recommended but I made it up without issue without them. Overall wonderful views for the amount of effort. Amazing hike to take out of towners on.