Chief Mountain Trail

Chief Mountain Trail is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Idaho Springs: Exit I-70 in Idaho Springs at exit 240. Go south on Colorado Highway 103. The trailhead is located 5 miles east of Echo Lake on Colorado Highway 103.

Such a beautiful trail that you don't have to be an early riser for! I went 3/18 starting at noon and it was 90% packed snow that was ok in my hiking boots but I would have had a better time with my crampons. If you stepped off the trail then you were knee deep in snow. My dogs loved the hike up and couldn't stop hopping around the boulders at the very top. 360 view of near by peaks including Mt Evans which means a great place for a quick lunch. Will definitely be back! *Note- after the hike I found a tick feasting on one of my dogs so make sure to do a check after you're back home!

One of my top 5 hikes here. Great for out of town visitors. It's easy to navigate and the 360* panoramic view at the top is incredible. So worth it.

Great snowshoeing real windy at the top great view

Beautiful morning for a hike with the pup. Only saw 3 people on a Saturday morning which is fantastic but I would rate this trail an intermediate with the elevation numbers. Especially in snowshoes

Made it up and down in an hour! Nice winter trail run, snow was packed nicely. Super great view!!

A fairly easy hike with great views at the top.

Amazing views at the top! Nice moderate hike even with snow on the ground.

Great hike, would definitely call it intermediate though. Pretty tough and hairy at the top

Easy hike, excellent view at top.

Relatively short and easy hike, but the views at the top are absolutely amazing. I went on a Monday morning and was able to get a parking space (very limited parking, btw)

The hiking app I use and my watch stated it was 2.8 miles one way. I thought it was supposed to be 2.8 miles round trip. Didn't bother me at all, but figured it might be useful info for someone else.

Definitely a must do hike!

This trail was perfect for an afternoon hike. The view at the top was breathtaking, no matter what direction you looked. Easy trails, but a good 3-mile workout. Will definitely be visiting again!