Chicago Basin is a 15.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Silverton, Colorado that offers scenic views and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 15.2 miles Elevation Gain: 4,393 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

skiing

Highly recommend to the lake even via Durango train before it’s gone! Please do not have fires in the area. I saw some people doing that :( it can get out of hand and kill all the people and life in the basin. Great flat hike to basin.

Spending four nights in the Chicago Basin was such a special treat. We saw maybe ten others throughout our stay; the basin offered beautiful solitude. While there was some beetle kill, the basin and Twin Lake were spectacular. If I had more time (and energy!) I would have submitted a 14er and explored Columbine Pass.

Easily the best all around backpacking trip I’ve been on. From the train ride up the mountain to the sheer remoteness, this trip was amazing.

Trail is much better condition compared to previous reviews. There is some snow to cross. Getting to the lakes takes a little more work off trail to get there. Creeks are fast and high.

Tue Nov 28 2017

Very epic trail. I just loved going in on the train. Make sure to get up early if you are wanting to summit the mtns. We did windom and we should have got up earlier. i try to get some film while i was there - it is beyond gorgeous! https://youtu.be/2iDmEsqbobA

Tue Jul 18 2017

Very cool backpacking route along the beautiful animas river, very gradual elevation gain and a lot of wild flowers. Twin lakes are gorgeous and a steep climb, sooo many mountain goats! Also the rumor that marmots will eat you gear to get the salt is real, so make sure to hang them(we learned the hard way, my friend's trekking pole handhold got eaten)

Wed Feb 01 2017

Moderately difficult. One of the most beautiful places I have ever been, secluded camp sites located near white water streams and three mountains to climb. You are taken to the trailhead via a coal train (tickets are around $100 a pop round trip) and climb around 12 miles uphill to the campsite. I would recommend this trail to any avid backpack enthusiast

Fri Sep 16 2016

Great trail steep up from the trail but not bad. Nice to take the trail to and from the drop off. Easy to find trail and lots of water so no need to carry a big resovoir. Take a filter or tablets

recorded Chicago Basin