Cheyenne Mountain via Talon and Dixon Trail

Cheyenne Mountain via Talon and Dixon Trail is a 14.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Colorado Springs, Colorado that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October.

Distance: 14.1 miles Elevation Gain: 3,195 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Awesome trail!! I mountain biked to the start of Dixon, from the Limekiln lot. On foot to Dragons Backbone. I had on mountain shoes with good tread. Didn’t need yaktrax or poles.

icy

Trail conditions as of 11/17 weren't too bad with just a little iciness and snow in spots. Those areas exposed to sunlight became muddy on the decent. The Dragon's Backbone is a fun, light rock scramble with fantastic views. There are several large outcroppings adjacent to the trail that are relatively easy to climb. Since you've gone all that way, you may as well finish off the Dixon Trail (not in the original trail recording), although it basically ends abruptly at a fire road underneath the antenna farm. Horses and bikes are only allowed up the first 2.5 miles of the Dixon Trail due to the rough terrain. You can see where Dixon heads off to the NW in my recording.

Took Talon to North Talon to Dixon all the way up, then Dragon's Backbone clockwise! Beautiful and challenging hike. Took about 6 1/2 hours with some breaks thrown in. Yes the meadow & Aspens at the top is like icing on the cake. And taking Dragon's Backbone clockwise was super fun, but at times little intimidating, even though it was well marked. If you aren't paying attention it could be very easy to not spot the cairns or little orange markers. If I ever do this trail again I'd like to try the Backbone counterclockwise.

Slow and steady to start a few miles, then some serious switchbacks up. HIGHLY recommend the Dragons Backbone side trail.

One of the newest trails in Colorado...deserves more traffic. The only State Park in Colorado with a trail to the top of a mountain! Bring water and food...walking this will take more than 5 hours.

Started at 0500, on 29 Sep 19. I consider myself a intermediate hike/climber but I do live locally. Awesome trail, loved the trail signs and markers to keep us on the right trail. Used headlamp for about an hour. Only confusion was getting around the upper loop past the Dragons backbone(counter clockwise) on the summit. Please respect the downed aircraft crash site. Completed trail and back in parking lot at 10:05. It was a pretty fast pace and no stop for lunch. Enjoy, drink water, and take lots of pics!

Difficult, but the views are amazing.

Talon-Dixon-Mountain Loop-Dragon. Started 0500, temp 63F. Talon is well kept and multi-use for cycling/equestrian use. At the end of north talon, Dixon begins. Dixon is where the incline increases - although at first, the trails are still well kept. At dixon marker 2.5, the multi use trail ends and becomes hiking only - for a reason. At dixon marker 2.5, the incline increases to about a 13-16% grade and the switchbacks start to get grueling. We elected to take mountain loop up through a canyon meadow - really pretty and grassy. Then, we turned east and took Dragon back after stopping for lunch. Dragon is rocky. There are multiple scrambles and the trail, while marked, is hard to stick to. It was easy to find our way back though. On the way down, temps got up to 93F. Brought about 11 liters of water and we both drank though all of it. Got back at 1430.

Lovely hike w beautiful wildflowers. RATING KEY 5 stars = spectacular hike 4 stars = lovely hike, would happily do again 3 stars = enjoyed the hike, but not inclined to revisit

Views are lackluster in my opinion. I prefer mountains over city. The trail was well marked with stakes and ties barring about a mile around the top. Exposed more than half the time, so bring adequate hydration, sunblock, etc. The showstopper here is the meadow, pick a boulder and have lunch while listening to nature’s music.

Overall a good trail. Few areas that were easy to lose the trail, but generally found out quickly if not on the right trail and could back track. I explored the mountain loop and end of Dixon trail which took a little longer than the dragons backbone trail featured here. There were a few great views I mountain loop trail, but views are limited. The last couple miles up Dixon are pretty steep, but coming down that steep area is also challenging. Would recommend the trail but it is long and challenging. - Bring extra socks, extra water and start early! Don’t underestimate the challenge this mountain brings.

The top is like icing on the cake - beautiful meadow and aspen trees. The switchbacks to get there are worth it! Best be in shape! Start early because it is heating up. Bring plenty of water and snacks. Very few people on it, which was great. The views were spectacular- in the distance you could see the Sangre de Cristo, Wet Mountains, and Spanish Peaks. Lots of wildflowers, also. We figured about 25% shaded. The volunteers who worked on this trail did an amazing job! It took us a little under 4 hours to reach the end of the trail and that included a brief stop for a PB &J! It took us about 3 hours to get back down...This trail is very well marked! Take your time and enjoy this beautiful trail!

Well marked except for a few sections at the summit. be prepared for a full day. If you hike 14ers, then you are in sufficient shape, but anyone not physically ready for a 14er probably should look elsewhere.

Trail is very well marked. A lot of switchbacks, which makes it for a very long hike. Some difficult parts. Spectacular views from the top on Dragons Backbone. Will be doing this hike again. Bring plenty of water.

I am in the Army and our Brigade had a challenge to hike the trail to the top of Cheyenne mountain. This was a very physical challenge for anyone in or out of the military. I have seen experts state this hike is an all day adventure because of the difficulties. Yes, the difficulties are great and I suggest for the average hiker to take heed when experts say it is an all day adventure and it truly is in order to take in the breathe taking views. As military we strive to break the norm and on 29 May 2019 we broke the norm as we started at 0700 and some of the first ones back to the bottom made it at 1200 hours. We do everything hard and fast! However, all that aside I’d recommend a slow and steady pace to take in the breathe taking views! Especially, the meadow at the top. We rushed up and didn’t take in the beauty. Take your time since it is unforgiving and is a continuous climb! To those who said about the noise from Fort Carson while hiking. I’m sorry you are narrow minded and do not realize we train to keep freedom free! To me it is the sound from those who protect us and give us our freedom. If it offends you, please, hike somewhere else until you understand. Oh and since we the Army make so much noise on base. During our hike to the top we helped reunite a woman with her much beloved dog.

I did this hike on June 7. It was free of snow and was dry. While there are signs that alert you to the difficult terrain on Dixon, there are currently no directions as to how to access this path in the park. So you have to know how to get on it on your own. I hiked Talon past the first North Talon junction, past the bench at South Talon junction, then took the next right onto Talon North. This eventually leads to a big sign that lets you know you are starting Dixon. There are signs all along this route. However, as others mentioned, the trail gets harder past the bike turn-around point. Poles were very helpful for me getting down these very steep sections. Further on I passed the sign on the right for "Devil's Backbone" then took the left for "Dixon" (not the one straight ahead to "Top of the Mountain"). I wanted to hike to the end at 4.5 and turn around. However, up in this area the trail is harder to follow. It is not impossible by any means, but you have to pay attention. At some points I would miss a sharp switchback for example and find that I had lost the trail. Usually it was only a matter of turning around and seeing the trail again. But somewhere after mile marker 3.5 I got off-track. I couldn't find mile marker 4.5 even after I should have been there. I was at my turn-around time for weather so I turned around and headed "down" the path I had come up. But this led me to the end of Dixon at 4.5 miles! So somewhere I had gotten off track. But frustratingly, I never noticed that I was not on a trail (and I was paying attention) and I never felt lost. In fact, somehow I circled back around to Dixon as I continued to see the signs. But by then I was going "down or back out" when I thought I was still going "up or headed in". There are rolling hills on the last part so it is not always obvious. So I backtracked over and over and wasted an hour trying to head back "down". I did not see another person for 7 full hours so couldn't follow other hikers. Pay attention up here and hopefully in time, with traffic and better markings, it will be easier to follow. I recorded just under 17 miles and was on the trail for 8 and a half hours; I'm slow anyway and lost time getting turned around. Sucked through 3 liters of water as this is a hot hike. The only other annoyance on this trail was the constant noise of explosions and gunfire from the nearby military base. This went on for hours and shattered the calm one seeks to find in the mountains.

The trail is as as expected, a fantastic challenge for an avid hiker. By the top I felt the exercise and elevation. The 20% grades and rough trail towards the end is worth the work. The views from Dragons Spine and Robbers Roost over Colorado Springs are totally worth it. My word of caution, pay attention to trail markers and cairns when hiking Dragons Spine, it’s easy to loose the trail because it isn’t defined by foot traffic and is very rocky. If starting the Dragons Spine from Robbers Roost, there is a large tree down across the beginning of the path. If you don’t see trail markers or cairns you have lost the trail.

After a week of snowy and rainy days, May 24th was this trail's first day in the sun.There was quite a bit of ankle deep snow up around the summit loop. But even about the time my group finished the summit loop, a bunch of it had melted. My guess is by the end of next week this thing will be in summer conditions. Quite a nice hike through the meadow on Talon. Dixon is where the elevation gain really gets going. After the hitching post/bike turn-around, the trail turns into another beast. The trail crews did a great job building Dixon. Up around the summit loop the trail gets quite a bit more sparse. Just keep an eye out for ground and tree markers and you'll manage. There's also quite a few cairns on Dragon's Backbone. AllTrails doesn't show the loop of the trail that goes up to antenna farm, but good signage on the trail got us there. The state park does a good job color coordinating the signs along the trails. The mile markers made no sense to my group, though. My group recorded a hike of 16.5 miles over 7.5 hours (we did the loop up to the antenna farm, Dragon's Backbone, and also both sides of Talon North). So be prepared for a long day.

If you think you want to try 14ers, this is a great way to test your stamina or get back into shape after a winter of slothy slothing around. It reminded me of a lower elevation Missouri Mtn. It's very gently graded up until the turn-back on Dixon. Then it gets a little more steep. We made it up to Robbers Roost and then hit the mountain loop. Sad you can't get to the "true" high point because it's in the antennae farm, but it's still a great and beautiful hike! As of 5/12, some snow on top that wasn't that big of a deal, but by the way down, it became slushy and muddy. My poles were very useful going up and down that last 3 miles.

Beautiful trail. worth it.