Cheyenne Mountain State Park Big Loop Trail

Cheyenne Mountain State Park Big Loop Trail is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Colorado Springs, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

I hiked this Park with my son last year, and all agreed it kills your vibe to be so close to the highway, while realizing there is no access to Cheyenne Mountain itself. I returned to run it and found it a good experience--the grade is "runnable" to the top, and once up Talon you can forget the highway--there are some very nice sections of single track flowing through trees and brush, and some great views up trail. Much of the trail is exposed to sun, so be prepared. With minimal planning you can connect any number of trails to set your distance and vertical gain, or make loops. The trails are well marked with map placards at most intersections. I left from the main parking lot, taking the equestrian trail up to Talon, Talon South and looped back to Talon via Talon North--the only trail approaching technical. Continuing back down Talon I turned onto Sundancer to Zoop Loop and back to the parking lot for 9 miles and a little over 1000' of vertical gain. Could easily have extended that linking trails heading back to the visitor center and camping areas or looping. No water points on trail. Other than Talon North, no technical surfaces. Very few hikers and MTB, all very courteous. A + for speed and ease of access.

Great hike. Good for all skill levels. Big Loop is a combination of several different trails so don't expect to see it on the park map. Beautiful, clean area.

Really depends on what trails you take but they are very easy if you've hiked before. I used it more for a trail run. I did see lots of deer along the way.

A nice combination of the park's trails. This takes the user through several different eco-systems with relatively little elevation gain over the cumulative mileage. The hike includes parts of Sundance, Talon, Zook Loop, Blackmer, Boulder Run and Coyote Run. A nice sampling of the 18 miles of trail in the lower park. All of this is open to hikers and bikers, while parts can be accessed by equestrians.

scenic driving

Pretty but too close to highway to be really lovely.

Great trail system in Cheyenne Mountain State Park. Well marked and many trails to choose. My wife and I went last Sunday for the first time and we decided on Blackmer Loop after talking to one of the park employees. We started in Talon, then Zook Loop until we find Blackmer Loop. We took Medicine Wheel back to Zook Loop and end up in the parking lot by Talon. 5 miles total with moderate, well maintain and marked trails. It was a little lonely in Blackmer Loop but we enjoyed it.
Most definitely we will be back!

Monday, August 01, 2016

Well maintained and scenic. I hiked the Talon and Talon North Trails, which were quite the workout. Would recommend.

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Nature shouldn't be rated based on your dog access.

Friday, June 10, 2016

My wife and I hike the trails in Cheyenne Mountain State Park frequently. Very good scenery with some views of Colorado Springs and surrounding countryside. Not challenging unless you walk the Talon trail and it can get steep at times but well maintained trails. See deer, rabbit, lizards almost every time. Beware of horse riders on the Talon Trail. Respectful but not always much room to get out of their way.

Tuesday, June 07, 2016

I haven't gone yet, plan to go, and am just reviewing with five stars because some a-holes think that a lower review is deserved because of their dogs

Saturday, June 04, 2016

Warm and exposed, some non poisonous snakes and lizards. Sparse brush and open gentle hills.

Saturday, May 14, 2016