Cheyenne Mountain Long Loop is a 10.5 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Colorado Springs, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 10.5 km Elevation Gain: 222 m Route Type: Loop

Some super muddy spots and make sure you pay attention to which trails to take. Some trails are not marked on this app!

Muddy

Trail is definitely on the easier side of moderate. We hiked on a warm January day so the trail was quite sloppy due to the melting snow, but we still saw a number of hikers and mountain bikers, so the trail is quite popular. The Blackmer Loop section of the trail was by far my favorite section. It's unfortunate that the Sundance trail is so close to the highway, but the view of Cheyenne Mountain towering over the park made it bearable.

Sun Dec 02 2018

Mostly an easy trail with about a half mile of moderate hiking. The views are nothing to write home about and a lot of the trail is pretty chopped up from people hiking and riding in the mud.

Sun Jul 02 2017

I hiked this Park with my son last year, and all agreed it kills your vibe to be so close to the highway, while realizing there is no access to Cheyenne Mountain itself. I returned to run it and found it a good experience--the grade is "runnable" to the top, and once up Talon you can forget the highway--there are some very nice sections of single track flowing through trees and brush, and some great views up trail. Much of the trail is exposed to sun, so be prepared. With minimal planning you can connect any number of trails to set your distance and vertical gain, or make loops. The trails are well marked with map placards at most intersections. I left from the main parking lot, taking the equestrian trail up to Talon, Talon South and looped back to Talon via Talon North--the only trail approaching technical. Continuing back down Talon I turned onto Sundancer to Zoop Loop and back to the parking lot for 9 miles and a little over 1000' of vertical gain. Could easily have extended that linking trails heading back to the visitor center and camping areas or looping. No water points on trail. Other than Talon North, no technical surfaces. Very few hikers and MTB, all very courteous. A + for speed and ease of access.

Sun Apr 23 2017

Great hike. Good for all skill levels. Big Loop is a combination of several different trails so don't expect to see it on the park map. Beautiful, clean area.

Wed Mar 22 2017

Really depends on what trails you take but they are very easy if you've hiked before. I used it more for a trail run. I did see lots of deer along the way.

Tue Feb 28 2017

A nice combination of the park's trails. This takes the user through several different eco-systems with relatively little elevation gain over the cumulative mileage. The hike includes parts of Sundance, Talon, Zook Loop, Blackmer, Boulder Run and Coyote Run. A nice sampling of the 18 miles of trail in the lower park. All of this is open to hikers and bikers, while parts can be accessed by equestrians.

Wed Sep 07 2016

Pretty but too close to highway to be really lovely.

Tue Aug 30 2016

Great trail system in Cheyenne Mountain State Park. Well marked and many trails to choose. My wife and I went last Sunday for the first time and we decided on Blackmer Loop after talking to one of the park employees. We started in Talon, then Zook Loop until we find Blackmer Loop. We took Medicine Wheel back to Zook Loop and end up in the parking lot by Talon. 5 miles total with moderate, well maintain and marked trails. It was a little lonely in Blackmer Loop but we enjoyed it. Most definitely we will be back!

Mon Aug 01 2016

Well maintained and scenic. I hiked the Talon and Talon North Trails, which were quite the workout. Would recommend.

Thu Jun 16 2016

Nature shouldn't be rated based on your dog access.

Fri Jun 10 2016

My wife and I hike the trails in Cheyenne Mountain State Park frequently. Very good scenery with some views of Colorado Springs and surrounding countryside. Not challenging unless you walk the Talon trail and it can get steep at times but well maintained trails. See deer, rabbit, lizards almost every time. Beware of horse riders on the Talon Trail. Respectful but not always much room to get out of their way.

Tue Jun 07 2016

I haven't gone yet, plan to go, and am just reviewing with five stars because some a-holes think that a lower review is deserved because of their dogs

Sat Jun 04 2016

Warm and exposed, some non poisonous snakes and lizards. Sparse brush and open gentle hills.

Sat May 14 2016

Really fun!

Mon Aug 25 2014

Cheyenne mountain trail, Real close trail and is short hike, we ran up it in like 20 min, but well worth while view and get to check out gold camp road along the way. very well maintained

Sat May 10 2014

From the CSP website on Cheyenne Mountain: "Due to the diversity of the wildlife in the park, dogs are not allowed on the trails or in the back country. Having said this, we know that dogs are important members of the family and they are always welcome in the campgrounds and picnic areas. They must be on a leash at all times and you must pick up after them. Never let your dog chase or harass wildlife."

Fri Mar 01 2019