Cheyenne Canyon to Mount Rosa

Cheyenne Canyon to Mount Rosa is a 13.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Colorado Springs, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Attempted this again on 2-10-19. Snow was a bit over 2 ft deep after about 4 miles into the trail. Most of this snow was packed down until you cross the fenced area. After that it looked like most people had turned back around.
There were many extremely icy areas, even close to the trailhead, so micro spikes are recommended.
When you get about 5-6 miles in, where you cross through the fence, take a right to get to Mt Rosa. You will eventually cross over a forest road before you start to hike up Mt Rosa. The last 1/2 mile is very difficult.

Loved this route, went up seven bridges and down st Mary’s. Loved the pipeline road such a nice break between going up. Views were excellent. Nearly no one on the trail!

This is a well marked trail. Very easy route finding, I found GPS to be pretty good..

With all that being said, this is a moderate to difficult hike.. There is no technicality, other than maneuvering lose gravel on the decent.. but the length of the trail and the 3 sets of monster switchbacks is nothing to shake a stick at. I recorded 7.5 hours moving time and 5.5 was uphill..

Gorgeous summit! Marvelous ridge at the false summit.. all in all a beautiful peak to put in your bag.

Good distance hike, but my phone had me at 15 miles, not 12. My first time up I saw thousands of ladybugs on the summit but this time I only saw a few groups of them. Be prepared for a rough stretch right before you get to the forest service road on your way up. On a clear day, great views of Pikes Peak, and all the way south to the Canon City area. Good hike, but not for tourists. Sore legs and altitude hangover will affect you the rest of your time here. Rating should be Hard, not Moderate

Very cool hike! We logged about 14 miles including a stop at St. Mary's falls. Took about 8hrs round trip and we were moving quickly most of the time. Did this in late April and there was still some snow and ice on the trail on the nothern slopes, mostly close to the summit, we made it without spikes, but prob recomended to have them just in case. I would rate this trail as difficult.

Saturday, April 14, 2018

Great hike but it ended up being 14.5 miles round trip. The view at the top is worth the wait.

Friday, April 13, 2018

Don't be fooled - this is a long hike. My GPS clocked it at about 6.75 miles to the summit. But it's well worth it; the views on the summit are incredible! The trail is well used and easy to follow the entire way up.

Monday, April 09, 2018

The hike to the summit of Rosa is well worth it. Keep in mind the sign on top of the 3rd tunnel on gold camp road says 5 miles its more like 6. When you do make it to the fence go through the gate and go to the right about 150 ft then left up hill, Do Not go to the left when going through the gate it seems you should being as Mt Rose is to the left, you will ascend to the saddle north of rosa then back south to the summit. keep in mind its 6.5 up hill so bring plenty of water, there is water if you have a filter for the first 3 or so miles.

Sunday, March 04, 2018

My fiance and I have attempted this trail a few times and the snow and ice tends to cause us to turn around but we finally made it yesterday! You may benefit from a map as there are several directions you can go past the St. Mary's fall/ Mnt. Rosa intersection, but the views are pretty great. We always bring our dog (mid-sized), who still wasn't tall enough to to get through some of the snow so we will definitely have to go back as it gets warmer.

Wednesday, December 06, 2017

Great views at the top after 50000 switchbacks. you definitely feel the 4k elevation gain. Great training hike!

Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Did this awhile ago. Got lost with the snow. Round trip distance was 18 miles (anticipating 16 next time). Highly recommend driving via old stage for a round trip of 7.7 miles. A reliable vehicle is all you need. A lot more leisurely. Will do this again for intensity and conquer it.

Friday, September 15, 2017

Great hike, 14.5 miles was my roundtrip distance

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Oh man what a hike. not sure who comes up with these distances but our round trip was 14.5 miles. with that we did make a wrong turn at the 4 wheel drive trail and went up that path about 1/4 mile so i figure remove half a mile that is 14 miles round trip so i would say the app description is off by a mile.

Anyway great hike great view of rosemont res off to the south west and springs off to the south east. we went up on a very cloudy day so up on top we were right below the cloud bank and then the wind blew up a large bank of clouds so we were totally surrounded....it made it really awesome.

some advise when you come to the fence opening at the 4 wheel trail go left about 50 yards and pick the trail up to the left. there are carins to mark you from there. other than that the path is easy to follow, with all of then rain as of late it is a bit washed out but hey it is the mountains.

recorded first time up mt Rosa

Monday, April 02, 2018