Cherry Creek Trail Loop

Cherry Creek Trail Loop is a 1.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Castle Rock, Colorado that features a waterfall. The trail is good for all skill levels and offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.8 miles Elevation Gain: 232 feet Route Type: Loop

historic site

recorded Cherry Creek Trail Loop

icy

icy

10/12/2019 - A really nice trail! There are old home and water dam ruins, some great rock structures. Due to snow Thursday night there were some shaded muddy areas, but mostly the trail was easily traveled. Mostly narrow paths heading south, but wide open areas coming back up north from the cliffs. Great views from the high rock cliffs and closeness to trickling streams. We took routes on Cherry Creek, Castlewood Canyon, and Rim Rock trials.

This place is so heckin’ neat. I wasn’t sure what to expect, was just looking for a quick hike to do with my dog before the sun went down and oh my goodness. The trail is kind of narrow in spots but who cares? It was gorgeous - a lot of neat rocks, trees, and a great view from the top section especially with the sunset going on in the background. There are a few trails around this one that I definitely want to go back and check out - I didn’t see too much of the actual creek (it is August though), didn’t see a lot of the actual \/ canyon part, but like I said I definitely want to go back and check out those other trails. Super cool area, I’m really glad I found it.

recorded Recording - Jun 30, 11:03 AM

Great hike. Dog friendly. Not stroller friendly. Homestead ruins. Some shade.

dog friendly trail with a couple of sites, an old homestead, ruins of an old dam and a waterfall.

This is a quick, easy trail. This was my first solo hike since moving to CO a few weeks ago. I felt comfortable going the trail alone. I brought my dog who loved the easy 2 miles. Ran into 3 couples (2 with leashed dogs) on the trail.

Nice trail through the creek bottom. I would not attempt this trail after a rain. it would be very muddy!

Fri Jul 13 2018

Went yesterday with my pup. Easy hike and pretty views. Parking and drive in are easy and paved. A few places for the pup to get in the cool water.

Wed May 30 2018

Nice easy hike, it’s fun to walk along the riverbed. You can take your dog, too.

Sat May 12 2018

Nice view. If you want little adventure just go on to the top of Dam

Tue Apr 24 2018

Beautiful park. It was a bit muddy and cold but not another sole on the trail. It is fairly easy trail to the falls and to the dam. The rock formations are awesome. We did not have to pay for parking. Nobody at the booth. Great places for kids to play in the water when it’s warmer.

Mon Mar 26 2018

$7 for a day pass but there are miles and miles of trails ! We did a 6.5 mile loop (many trails connect and loop to each other). Pretty creek in the canyon . Trails along the creek at the canyon bottom and rim trail along the edge of the canyon . Old dam you can hike to as well! Many nice lookouts . Enjoyable hike . Playground for kids near parking area. Some restroom. Dog friendly and rock climbing areas too.

Mon Jan 29 2018

Must have $7 in cash to park! The structures are interesting. It’s a nice walk through the woods with occasional views of the front range, but the trails are not clearly marked and somewhat confusing. I drove from Denver and left pretty disappointed. Maybe it’s better in the summer, but for seven dollars I expected more. We left and found a prettier hike like 10 minutes further down the road for free.

Mon Jan 01 2018

Very pretty creek side trail. We did K to L I think (versus the dam trail). Lots of families out and dogs. Creek was mostly frozen. Tim likes the east side, but it was closed for the season. Park at the farthest lot instead of near the visitor center. $7 day pass. $70 for an annual pass.

Wed Nov 08 2017

Not too much of a challenge but beautiful views and wildlife.

Thu Sep 21 2017

This hike was way prettier than I had anticipated! It is short but the ruins are great for photo ops and keep the trail interesting. I went mid/late September and it was very green and there were a lot of wildflowers. The leaves were just starting to change color. There is also a small stream. Wish I could have hung out longer to explore some of the other trails. There were also deer nearby.

Fri Sep 08 2017

narrow trails but nice. lizards and wild turkies.

Sat Sep 02 2017

Beautiful hike. We started at 7am and made our way around the canyon. A lot see on this hike: a babbling stream with small waterfall, an old broke dam, a giant clear field, rock rim and shade in the tree areas. We must have veered off the loop trail because we hiked 5 miles total. Pet and kid friendly. Took about 2 hours as we leisurely took the hike. Highly suggest this location.

Tue Aug 22 2017

This is an easy hike for young children, but not boring or lacking in anything. You get some fun elevations, time crossing or hiking along a beautiful creek, incredible views of cliffs, rocks, vegetation, birds, insects, and meadows. The route is very well marked, and many other trails connect to it for other options, but clear signage prevents any chance of getting lost.

Sun Aug 06 2017

If you are looking for a relaxing walk that meanders by a creek, this trail would be perfect. The hike is easy going. Plenty of wild flowers as well as few birds of prey.

Thu Jul 20 2017

Hiked down to creek, nice and peaceful.

Thu Jun 15 2017

Nice easy trail system,some good views ,watch for Rattlesnakes, never saw any.

Sat Apr 22 2017

Wed Mar 22 2017

Enjoyed exploring the canyon, paths are clearly labeled and safe for the most part. I chose to follow some paths not marked... climbed some boulders and jumped across the water to explore the other side. Great day.