Cherry Creek Reservoir Loop Trail

Cherry Creek Reservoir Loop Trail is a 8.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Aurora, Colorado that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.8 miles Elevation Gain: 314 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

5 minutes ago

October ride, 3 mountain bikes all ended with flat tires from goat heads.

closed

If you have a dog don’t plan to do the loop the way it has it. Great trail! But you can’t go into the wetlands because it’s being preserved

it was a nice ride

Great flat trail for biking around Cherry Creek Reservoir. No shade so best done in the spring or fall when temperatures are more mild.

Come early to beat the sun

Good distance trail near city but not much shade and half of trail is pavement.

We live near the Res so we walk this loop often! The trail inside the dam was completed a couple years back so now you can avoid the walk along I-225 (shown on this map). this also cuts off the big point on the northeast corner of the trail shown, so now you can walk the loop in about 6.5 miles. We have enjoyed this trail year-round.

awesone byke trail

We saw a bald eagle and a falcon fight. how cool is that? we also saw an awesome sinkhole in the wetlands area where the creek decided it wanted to take a whole portion of the "forest", that was awesome. lots of different, beautiful birds and butterflies too. the not so great parts: -a good chunk of the trail is next to the road and it's super loud and there isn't anything to look at -the trails are very poorly marked, get a map at the station or you'll probably get lost. we had a map and still lost track of where to go often. -all the trails are paved, which is a bummer.

Fun, easy walk. Lovely views around the lake.

great view to the mountains lots of wildlife and of course lots of bugs is a lake and also if you get dehydrated there is a pub. I hike or cycling once a week

Great hike, but not a lot places to get off trail and hang out. Very busy on the trails with all the bicyclist that come flying by you. I'd rather find a place a little more outdoorsy that you can find a spot to relax and take in the view and not as many cyclist.

nice morning walk with the dog. bugs started coming out as it warmed. no crowds

The roads are in poor condition, so it’s not good for road biking, but the bike paths are great!

Came through the main entrance and had to pay $10 entry fee. Nice park with a paved trail

Nice run around reservoir. Flat and quiet. Start point on All Trails takes you to pay lot. Plenty of free parking around route if you look for it. This distance is about a mile long based on where I parked.

I don’t recommend, not true dog friendly. Very Poor signage for a path so called preservation regarding dog policy. The guard watched us get trapped then followed us, a $50 ticket.

Beautiful setting for sure but difficult to navigate. There is no single trail that goes around the lake but several shorter trails that cut and pasted together get your around.. which would be fine if there were signs. I stopped at two posted maps along the way but neither indicated "You Are Here", so that wasn't terribly helpful. I ended up making it around the reservoir without having to back track but did have to weave through several parking lots and spend a portion on the road. By doing this I accidentally trimmed my expected loop from 8.8 miles to 6.5. All in all, great space for a leisurely stroll or once you learn your way around but a little tricky if you're just hoping focus on your run and get in a nice nearly 9 mile loop.

Not paying $9 for a 2 hour walk, maybe I missed a spot where I can get in on it without having to pay but I just followed the apps directions...

Always nice to come back here, any season is enjoyable. If I were to follow the map, you ended up going on actual Dam Road instead of Dam Road Trail, so I didn't use the Dam Road since it's dangerous and you shouldn't be walking/running there. Cut about 2 miles by doing so. Someone mentioned that there's no sign for the trail but there are a bunch. This is a Cherry Creek Trail and you basically go LOOP on this that's why it called "Cherry Creek Resivour Loop Trail". Still good to download the map if you want to make sure which way you're going. The park is pretty big and if you're not used to this park, you'll get lost.

Monday, October 08, 2018

First visit to the park. I live here now, so I wanted to explore. One of the worst-marked parks I've ever visited. Even the signs for you to exit the entire park are poorly marked. There is no "Cherry Creek Reservoir Loop Trail". It's a series of bits of other trails, if that. I defy anyone to point out ANY signs noting this named trail or how to follow it clearly. I was on it for more than 3 hours without any markings. The maps I passed were also poorly labeled - how about something that says "you are here" - that would be a great start. Yes, there's a reservoir and you think you'll just follow the shoreline - good luck - I tried that. I ended up all over the place, cause part of the shoreline is wetlands and you can't wade into that area. And then the multiple available trail options all take you away from and out of view of the shoreline, so you hope your sense of direction is keen enough to find your way around. There are parts of trails with forks in the road - nothing tells you which way to go for what you're seeking. I kept asking folks along the way, some could help, some couldn't. In some areas there simply is no trail, paved or gravel, so you travel the shoreline with its sandy beach area. But basically you're on your own. Pretty walk that should have taken me less time to traverse - that last hour I basically spent angry and wanting to be certain I wasn't walking in the wrong direction. Maybe I'm just spoiled by all the amazing national parks I've hiked, but really very unimpressed by this state park's level of clarity and assistance to the visitor.

Friday, August 24, 2018

walked the while park and was very satified. the wild life there was hard to find execpt for birds.

Saturday, July 07, 2018

Super beautiful!!!!

Saturday, June 30, 2018

Great hike on a Thursday afternoon. Not many people on the trail.

Saturday, June 30, 2018

We love the off leash dog park!