Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Learn more

Cherry Creek Reservoir Loop Trail

easy(307)
Cherry Creek State Park

Cherry Creek Reservoir Loop Trail is a 8.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Aurora, Colorado that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.8 miles Elevation Gain: 314 feet Route Type: Loop

beach

partially paved

fee

Park in the Tower Loop parking lot and take the route counter-clockwise, beginning with the Dam Trail.

Some of the trail is currently under construction. Best to stay on the road.

closed
fee

Been here a few times. In winter it is a bit desolate, but quite lovely. Summer is nice too, but lots of bugs. Easy hike overall with lots of open space.

Enjoyed a sunny 40 degree day outdoors wile completing the 7.2 mile version of this route today. We traversed the INSIDE dam trail that runs adjacent to the water not the OUTSIDE dam trail--which runs parallel to I-225--shown on this map. We saw a coyote foraging for food out on the iced up reservoir. Very cool. Most of the trail going across the dam was still snowy and icy. I had winter hiking boots and trekking poles and encountered no problems, but my wife struggled with that portion of the route, even with trekking poles, as she was only wearing tennis shoes. Once we reached the boathouse, we opted to hike the remainder of the loop on the shoulder of the road rather than continue on trail, most of which was still snowy and icy. That being said, we did see lots of other folks walking on the trails who didn't seem to have any problems. If you go before things melt off, just be sure you have appropriate footwear. Otherwise, stick to the main road.

Hiked this route again today for the fourth time. Enjoyed a nice quiet snowy hike. This is one of my favorite winter hikes, especially when weather makes it difficult for me to get up to the mountains. Depending on my pace and number of stops, I can normally complete this route between 3-4 hours. This loop is nice because it includes a variety of scenery, including great views of the reservoir (especially from the Dam Trail), wetlands, sandy beaches, and prairie grasslands. It's rare that I come to Cherry Creek without seeing deer or coyotes, and today was no exception. I saw a pack of 6-7 coyotes coming from the campground. Overall, Cherry Creek is a great respite from urban Aurora.

fee

I recommend going counter clockwise. The part by the road is uninteresting, so you get that out of the way, then you get to see the mountain views at the end. Most of it's paved, with very little elevation change. $10 entry fee.

October ride, 3 mountain bikes all ended with flat tires from goat heads.

closed

If you have a dog don’t plan to do the loop the way it has it. Great trail! But you can’t go into the wetlands because it’s being preserved

it was a nice ride

Great flat trail for biking around Cherry Creek Reservoir. No shade so best done in the spring or fall when temperatures are more mild.

Come early to beat the sun

Good distance trail near city but not much shade and half of trail is pavement.

We live near the Res so we walk this loop often! The trail inside the dam was completed a couple years back so now you can avoid the walk along I-225 (shown on this map). this also cuts off the big point on the northeast corner of the trail shown, so now you can walk the loop in about 6.5 miles. We have enjoyed this trail year-round.

awesone byke trail

We saw a bald eagle and a falcon fight. how cool is that? we also saw an awesome sinkhole in the wetlands area where the creek decided it wanted to take a whole portion of the "forest", that was awesome. lots of different, beautiful birds and butterflies too. the not so great parts: -a good chunk of the trail is next to the road and it's super loud and there isn't anything to look at -the trails are very poorly marked, get a map at the station or you'll probably get lost. we had a map and still lost track of where to go often. -all the trails are paved, which is a bummer.

Fun, easy walk. Lovely views around the lake.

great view to the mountains lots of wildlife and of course lots of bugs is a lake and also if you get dehydrated there is a pub. I hike or cycling once a week

Great hike, but not a lot places to get off trail and hang out. Very busy on the trails with all the bicyclist that come flying by you. I'd rather find a place a little more outdoorsy that you can find a spot to relax and take in the view and not as many cyclist.

nice morning walk with the dog. bugs started coming out as it warmed. no crowds

The roads are in poor condition, so it’s not good for road biking, but the bike paths are great!